ABC News (Channel)

News flipper returns…

2 Likes

1 Like

That ticker is the WORST!!! Do something about it ABC!

What the F is that?

I’m sorry this re-design looks like a bad mock on Media Spy

What a joke. BDA did good work. ABC has managed to fuck it all up

1 Like

I know. It’s awful no matter what.

I have a large TV and can barely even read it two metres away.

Isn’t it black?

They need to make the channel HD or make the font sizes bigger. Right now the poor quality of the SD stream means anything looks awful.

@NewsKing @KICK-IT that design is faithful to BDA’s creation. There’s a cap like that on their website.

I’m beginning to think not. Hard to think of bigger fuck ups than not designing for safe areas or SD broadcast…

Worth noting that in 2012, after the ABC got their first package from them, the original BDA Creative closed down. The small Austrian company operates today with the name would have no similarity to the multinational British company with 120 employees that they first used. Wonder if the ABC even realised that when they opted to use their services again.

4 Likes

At the risk of going off-topic, this article suggests CNN did invent the news ticker in mid-2001, just before 9/11.

Thought this was a quite funny view on the rebrand of ABC News

9 Likes

The BW version returned later in the morning looking like this. (I’ve noted before that this new ticker when seen on ABC HD looks worse than the ABC News Channel SD version.)

Black headlines alternated with orange for one hour until the orange disappeared after midday.

A black on white super was seen once

While later two white on black were seen in rapid succession, the latter staying on for the whole story except for a few seconds when the reporter was identified.

The headline sequence didn’t change to reflect when the sport report was presented.

3 Likes

Not sure who or what is writing the ticker today but there are so many mistakes getting through?

After being on screen for most of today, the flipper is now gone once again… sigh

2 Likes

The ticker needs to be in black and white and the clock should move under NEWS.

1 Like

But where would the timezone (“AEST”/“AEDT”) go for the satellite feed/timezone border areas?

It came back about 30 minutes after I posted, it’s hard to keep up! Maybe the reasoning of technical problems is sounding more legit?

I like the package as a whole, but I think the ticker needs some work.

A week since the graphics launched an the ticker is still MIA, the resolution of the supers and bug are grainy and generally looking shit and the clock is still stretched.

Disappointing to see no-one from the ABC engage with these concerns on this forum given how they posted regularly in the last update (2014?).

3 Likes

Ticker update: It’s gone again. It seems to be visible more often during taped programming rather than live news, so read into that what you will. It’s a pity the relaunch has been botched, because the original designs by BDA are beautiful, but it’s obvious the ABC doesn’t have the funding or equipment to implement it properly.

Very poor quality sports images from Foxtel - are they using RCA out cables?

Pictures from Nine no better

4 Likes

The quality is like that on Sky News too… and you would expect Sky to have good quality sports content considering they are partnered with Fox Sports

4 Likes