ABC News (Channel)

ABC New England needs a new mic banner

8 Likes

The laugh reaccs perfect that image.

3 Likes

Pretty much the only reaction Barnaby gets these days.

1 Like

We’re getting to that point if the year where we should hear soon if there will be any changes to the NC next year. With News Corp clearly investing quite a bit of money it’s pretty important they stay fresh.

I think Breakfast, Mornings, Midday and Afternoons are fine as they are - although I note the BBC NC just relaunched their Midday and Afternoon slots to be more fast paced and off the cuff.

Evenings and Nightime on the ABC NC are a mess. The Drum is boring (ever since they moved it from 6pm on the NC it’s been crap) and it’s ugly as sin. It’s time it was axed.

The World is dull, poorly made and is right when they should be running a normal domestic-world news mix bulletin with a recap of politics should be running.

We know Stan Grant will have a new show at 9 o’clock.

I reckon they should launch two flagship bulletins at 6:00 and 10:00 anchored by Beverly O’Connor. Call it ABC News Tonight, Australia Tonight, something like that. Keep it fast paced with a good recap of the day in politics and a decent amount of world news. This would put a serious news competitor in place against the commercial news at 6 and go some way to replace Lateline.

Presentation wise, the Sydney set needs a refresh but I don’t have the confidence that they won’t mess it up and we’ll have another crappy Southbank and NSW set disaster. They need to get the pros in and get two sets made for Ultimo and Southbank. It should be far more versatile than the current pres and use the galleries and stuff both Ultimo and the new Southbank studio has access to.

3 Likes

ABC News will show the BBC interview with the newly engaged Prince Harry and Meghan Markle at 8.30pm AEDT tonight.

For 2018

ABC NEWS

Summer Drum

Monday 1 January at 5.30pm on ABC TV / 6.30pm on ABC NEWS

Offsiders: Summer Edition

Sunday 7 January at 10.00am on ABC TV / 11.30am on ABC NEWS

Coverage of the Bennelong by-election:

7 Likes

That set is now showing signs of ageing. Its done well for almost 8 years.

4 Likes

Agreed. Also a couple months back it suddenly get really dark and drab and was never restored? Maybe it was a lighting change or something. But it’s never looked worse.

2 Likes

Definitely need to fix the lighting, the backdrops look washed out and dull. Other than that it’s still looking fine compared to what some of the others are using cough Seven *cough.

I really wish they stopped carrying breaking news supers into other stories.

It must be confusing as fuck for someone tuning in to have supers talking about at fatal car accident but the vision/story is the Sydney to Hobart or something else.

2 Likes

ABC News Canberra presenter Dan Bourchier is doing afternoons today.

3 Likes

Edit: he’s been doing it for at least a week.

2 Likes

Del Irani has returned from holidays and will present various ABC News bulletins for the next 3 weeks.

3 Likes

2018 lineup promo - Joanna Nicholson replacing Miriam Corowa on Weekend Breakfast:

7 Likes

Karina Carvalho is moving from ABC News Queensland to take up the 7pm-9pm anchor slot.

3 Likes

KARINA CARVALHO TAKES NATIONAL ABC ROLE

Karina Carvalho, one of the ABC’s most talented presenters, is moving to a new national role in 2018.

After five years successfully leading ABC TV’s flagship 7pm News bulletin in Queensland, Carvalho will relocate to Sydney to take up a prime-time presenting post for the ABC NEWS Channel.

Her final Queensland bulletin is this Thursday, 11 January. From Monday 29 January she will anchor ABC NEWS Channel every weeknight from 7pm-9pm.

“It’s been a privilege to be invited into the living rooms of Queenslanders each weeknight for the last five years,” Carvalho said.

“I’m very much looking forward to my new role and bringing the day’s most important stories and breaking news to a national audience.”

Louisa Rebgetz will step in as Queensland newsreader until Carvalho’s successor takes over the anchor’s chair.

More details on ABC NEWS Channel’s 2018 line-up will be unveiled shortly, also including two new programs hosted by Stan Grant and Patricia Karvelas.

Carvalho joined the ABC in 2007 after working for the BBC. After a stint as a reporter in the Perth newsroom, she presented the 7pm News in Perth for three-and-a-half years before moving to Melbourne to present ABC News Breakfast alongside Michael Rowland. She took over as Queensland 7pm News presenter in April 2013.

2 Likes

Miriam is moving to a new role to present bulletins on weekends on ABC News channel. She finished on Weekend Breakfast last weekend.

2 Likes

@mirb, she finished presenting with Andrew this weekend who has gone on leave. She will present for a few more weeks before moving to the bulletins procedding Weekend Breakfast on the ABC News channel.

1 Like