ABC News (Channel)

The proposed designs and the end result like nothing like each other.

I can only guess numerous ABC suits got involved changing and watering down everything (driving BDA nuts probably) and the end result is well, shite.

The thing id on’t get is that ABC has gone on and on that they are platform agnostic - and this is ABC News anywhere and everywhere if you are consuming it online, on air, on devices, on mobile, on Facebook, iPad - this is a news service that is platform agnostic.

Yet, they have gone and designed a GFX package that is so small and tiny - you need a 60 inch TV to read it.

If you truly want to be platform agnostic and news for people anywhere everywhere - you need clear, crisp, clean text, fonts and design that are large enough to be read on iPads, iPhones and desktops. If you are watching at an airport, gym, or office - you need to be able to glance at the screen and get the info and text you need - even if the sound is down.

This package has been design for a captive audience is sitting down watching a60 inch TV with the sound up and 100% attention on the TV.

We know people donate watch TV like that anymore - they are watching ABC News in airports, on gym treadmills - on devices - and for all those people - this look is a failure.

It’s so soft blurry and small - not easy to read at all.

What a stuff up.

3 Likes

The second cap, which is the proposed design, has numerous problems. The clock is out of the safe areas, and there’s no ticker.

I don’t understand this whole “oh the ABC must’ve fucked up the package” story. We don’t actually know.

7 Likes

The qualifier I’d put is that while the ticker & clock may need to be readable on TV, they’re not required on your phone (the smallest of the screens you’ve mentioned); you can get the info shown in the ticker from the ABC app on your phone or their mobile website.

I’m not so much talking about safe areas etc.

In all my years overseeing TV graphics - it’s been pretty normal to get the design right and looking gorgeous - and then when you are ready to render out and build the whole package - you make adjustments for safe areas etc.

Im sure the designs BDA posted online were to showcase the design an the art of what they thought look best - not the final designs with tech sizing considered. They are in the business of showing the most gorgeous work.

as for the “ABC fucked it up” angle - when I watch the video on BDAs website - it all works its all gorgeous - it’s crisp clear HD, bold, modern and daring.

When I watch the end result on ABC - I’m left decidedly unimpressed.

So something happened to the designs BDA was proud of to post online by the time ABC news put them to air…

2 Likes

First proper big story since these graphics launched and the lack of a ticker is a joke. It’s embarrassing.

The ticker and crappy resolution of supers and clock should’ve been fixed overnight, or actually, before the graphics even launched.

Bring back the old ticker and supers and just use the new font and turn them black and white.

Amateurs.

5 Likes

I agree. Looking at the channel for the past few minutes, you would have absolutely no idea that the UK PM has called a general election. The headline recap at the end of the bloody program didn’t even mention it. Ridiculous!

2 Likes

OK, normally I’m not a fan of the ticker thing, but that should be there & as a breaking news item.

ABC’s news channel

Breaking news tickers everywhere else

Finally delayed coverage (but still no ticker)

10 Likes

I find ABC’s coverage in general has been lacking so far. I had a notification on my phone from Nine News that the election had been called so went straight to the ABC News app and there was nothing. Went to The Guardian’s app and they had been live blogging for 20mins already. Lack of ticker on the ABC News channel is just one of their many problems at the moment…

3 Likes

Seems it’s all gone/going downhill. Lack of information on their “news channel” due to the lack of a ticker and basic coverage.
The quality and presentation of their image is still a mess. The clock looks terrible. I have a 42" TV. I pity anyone who has a TV bigger as the whole lot on my TV looks blurry as f**k.
One has to question why ABC management isn’t working on fixing all of these issues and allowing the brand to look like a joke? They are flushing it all down the toilet…
On top of this not upgrading picture quality for their state news broadcasts, where you cannot make out the temperature numbers on the Victorian News weather map, because they look like massive smudges and you can hardly define when Paul Higgins has his eyes open or closed due to the camera quality.

Hello 2005 might as well be watching analogue.

9 Likes

Yea too bad with all the obsession about a unified brand they actually forgot to put any attention into actually how to better cover and break news and improve the network.

Considering ABC News has more resources and journos than any Australian news org - and vowed well developed online platforms - and has made a huge deal about being platform agnostic - shouldn’t they always be the first break news - online, on apps, on air, on radio etc?

7 Likes

It’s outrageous that this hasn’t been fixed yet. It’s the same in WA.

FWIW, the ticker was there during Al Jazeera last night. It would seem that they’re capable of displaying it, so why the hell aren’t they doing it permanently?!

[color=white] Breaking news ticker from 11.25 am this morning[/color]

4 Likes

I’ve noticed the LCN name is now “ABC News”. They’ve gotten rid of the “24”.

5 Likes

And you can’t even read the ticker. Ridiculous.
Makes Sky News look decent and we all know it’s not…

1 Like

They need to abandon the red ticker. It needs to be white on black. If it’s “Breaking News” then just stick a tab in the bottom, far left corner that says Breaking News like Sky News does.

3 Likes

How about they do this:

• Fix the blurry graphics problem because its certainly not HD on ABC HD
  • Make News 24 a MPEG4 HD channel.

Problem solved.

2 Likes

I painfully disagree. If there’s one channel that needs to be available to everyone regardless of equipment, it should be our nation’s news channel.

4 Likes