ABC News (Channel)

looks like that big screen ABC News graphic was made in power point. They should stick to the standard black graphic.

2 Likes

I mean the whole package can be replicated in Powerpoint and probably look better. But I didn’t think it looked too bad. I’m sure they’ll find what works and what doesn’t soon.

5 Likes

I don’t mind it either. I love the set.

5 Likes

@pelican

I don’t watch he channel for 8 hours nor does anyone. I tune in randomly a few times during the day and I struggle to keep it on longer than a few minute as it’s so basic and scrappy and no frills as others have said.

Any news channel spikes during news events. That’s not unique to ABC News Chanel.

I’ve made no comments about US cable news, ratings or it needing to be new content 24/7

I’ve made comments on the overall quality, tightness and production standards of the Channel.

I believe ABC should be innovating, making the content compelling, experimenting in new ways of telling the news and engaging the audience. My opinion - it’s just not well produced. Quality standards do not need to cost money.

FranceInfo is an excellent example of a state owned news Channel who experiments, uses new presentation methods and endouvers to keep their broadcast fresh, dynamic and energetic.

If you think it’s well produced we have different standards of what defines well produced news.

I am not comenting on the quality of the journalism - which is great. I am commenting on the quality of the broadcasts produced.

One thing they could easily to is roll B roll over talking heads. They’re running interviews that are going 4-5 minutes of a talking head on a badly framed low quality Skpe set up, and holding that shot for what feels like an eternity. Cut away, so some images that support the story. Put some graphical information up on screen that add information. If you’re talking about Milan - show some of the incredible images coming out of there. It’s not rocket silence. Adding B roll to enrich the story is not the domain of commercial broadcasters.

Reducing the Skype box a little smaller on screen and sharing it with the host, b roll or some graphical elements to make the broadcast look nicer and feel a little more dynamic does not take away anything from the journalism.

2 Likes

Would be nice to run in in HD too on YouTube. Low many other world news Channels.

4 Likes

The backdrop of the newsroom in the new set doesn’t look like the Ultimo building… looks like something from ITV

3 Likes

It’s not. It’s a fictional newsroom background that doesn’t exist. :man_facepalming:

7 Likes

The newsroom backdrop reminds me of BBC News.

1 Like

Saturday: Andrew Geoghegan is presenting the afternoon news bulletins.

This mornings Weekend Breakfast was still presented from the NSW set

2 Likes

Caps from this afternoon. Looks like they didn’t go to the new set until 2pm:

5 Likes

So weird.

Do we know why they aren’t using it all day?

2 Likes

I don’t mind using the NSW set and studio doe the first half Of the day. But they should use a different backdrop (more light and bright less blue and not faux news room) and use different angles and the desk and video wall - so it’s more varied. They shit it one angle / one shot only

2 Likes

Just watching now… the new set, backdrop, use of camera angles, etc really professionalises the output. Big improvement.

3 Likes

Evening News:

1 Like

Good to see Mariam’s still working to be Lee Lin Chin’s successor in the TV newsreader fashion stakes.

8 Likes

ABC and Expression Australia launch weekly national news in Auslan
From this weekend ABC NEWS channel’s Sunday 6.00pm AEST national news bulletin will be picture-in-picture Auslan interpreted. The bulletin will also include a two-minute segment with specific information for the Australian Deaf community in Auslan.

“This partnership with the ABC is a vital step forward to increase the amount of accessible information to assist people who are Deaf to stay connected and informed.” (Expression Australia CEO Christine Mathieson)

2 Likes

Who’s taking bets that the Mornings and lunchtime shifts will still be in the NSW set next week?

1 Like

All the shows on ABC News that have different names

Do they have different formats?

From what I can see everything is more or less the same down the middle format, but under different names

Afternoon Briefing
News Hour
Evening News
National News
News Tonight
Nightly News

All the same format right?

1 Like

The host is Patricia Karvelas. Agree. She’s great and is also a regular on Insiders on the ABC Sunday mornings. She was on this morning.

2 Likes

Then it should have a name that reflects that focus

1 Like