ABC New Year's Eve Coverage

Agreed 100%. Waste of money for them to bother especially when year after year it gets blasted by both Fairfax and Murdoch…

Maybe so, but I reckon you’re spot on. 3+ hours of essentially filler content really isn’t necessary. I’m with SCTV, a Rage special airing between the family fireworks and the midnight ones would be better.

I would only want them back on Nine as it would be on 9HD. But I don’t have any issues if Seven or SBS got the rights to air them at some stage. Would be really interesting to see how they would do it all instead.

1 Like

Get Lee Lin, 3 bottles of wine, a chair in front of the Bridge, and let the woman loose.

It would make for fan-freaking-tastic television… not to mention scare the world taking the feed.

5 Likes

Did you watch the Pub Quiz? That wasn’t filler. That was the best thing about the whole night.

7 would trot out the Sunrise team for 3 hours of awkward banter. No thanks.

If Seven got the rights, the Sunrise team would present it. Seven has the Melbourne Fireworks. The Melbourne Fireworks could be on 7Two while the Sydney NYE Fireworks on the main channel.

Who was responsible for the camera work during the fireworks?

Absolutely dire, as it usually is.

Why on earth, whenever we reached a climax, would we cut away to a helicopter shot from 100 miles away that showed that climax as a small dot on the screen?

Why do we need to fit every repetition of the fireworks dotted around the harbour onto one screen, instead of fitting the bridge into shot? The way they were meant to be seen?

Seriously, whoever is responsible is as dumb as shit.

It was probably drones not helicopters.

Nah I know what you mean but the drone footage was obvious, they had been placed near the fireworks exploding themselves.

Either way, drones or helicopters, shocking coverage. Controlled by a plonker.

Last chance for ABC to prove itself as a broadcaster for NYE. The first three were controversial with complaints from Media Spy users about the coverage over the last three years

*Not an official media source.

Hopefully the ABC has taken viewers’ comments on board and improve the pre-recorded content.
ABC is holding a design competition for children under the age of 16: http://www.abc.net.au/children/nye/
The winning design will feature in the 9pm family fireworks.

From that link:

Why would they not have the Midnight fireworks! Odd that they haven’t been ‘confirmed’.

1 Like

The negative reaction over the last three years of ABC’s NYE broadcast. Let’s hope the broadcast improves and we get to see the fireworks in HD.

2013 (their inaugural broadcast)
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/angry-viewers-have-vented-their-outrage-at-coverage-of-new-years-eve-on-abc1/story-fni0cx4q-1226793191502

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/opinion/abc-new-years-eve-coverage-needs-a-cracker-up-its-clacker-declares-claire-harvey/news-story/4b8b7b056460e67a8ec8ba95e4c3df8b

Problem is ABC tries to be ‘niche’ and appeal to Triple J types with the NYE broadcast, when really it should be aimed at Australians from all walks of life.

1 Like

Well unless it’s in MPEG-2 UHD like what SBS is I won’t be watching it.

Just better to point a PTZ camera towards the city!

Telstra has offered streamed HD vision in previous years

Preliminary info

###New Year’s Eve 2016

Join the ABC as we count down the biggest night of the year and celebrate the world-famous Sydney Midnight Fireworks with New Year’s Eve 2016.

Presented from outside the Sydney Opera House and inside the Lord Mayor’s Party at Bennelong Point in Sydney Harbour, the ABC’s four-hour live show is set to wow viewers with an incredible line up packed full of comedy, music and entertainment, including the Family Fireworks at 9pm, the annual comedy panel show The 2016 Pub Quiz and music live from Falls Festival in Lorne.

Complaints coming in 5, 4, 3…

3 Likes

It sounds like the ABC’s NYE Coverage will be more of the same (aside from the addition of HD broadcasting) this year. Yawn!

Knowing what most of the news throughout 2016 has been like, I personally would’ve thought that something like an “ABC News: Year In Review” special would be more appropriate than running The Pub Quiz this year.

5 Likes

And that would be less boring? :worried:

2 Likes