ABC Local Radio

1 Like

I imagine that the 8:00am bulletin will not be new and it will just be the existing bulletin that is on Radio National in Canberra.

1 Like

Up until at least the late 1980ā€™s the 7:45 bulletin was ā€œnationalā€. Hereā€™s the opening to a rather momentous bulletin in 1987. Then at 7:55 there would be a different reader with the ā€œQueensland Newsā€ except in NSW where the same reader would continue.

8 Likes

Some details about the decision and the thinking behind it:

1 Like

Yes, I hope the extended news theme is now attached to the 7.00am bulletin, it would be a pity for it to vanish altogether. I can remember the days when there was 15 minutes of news on the national stations at 12.30pm and 7.00pm as well.

1 Like

what happned to evenings with David Astle i just tuned into via the net and its got australia wide:S

Heā€™s on after 7.

Forgive my ignorance, but why was 7:45 considered the flagship bulletin on the service? Having read posts up to the decision, I have some idea, but I canā€™t understand why the quarter-hour placement in any case.

1 Like

It was very popular and IIRC ABC radioā€™s only 15 minute bulletin

3 Likes

Richard Glover was talking about it last night. I think the 7.45 bulletin was introduced in about 1939 to enhance coverage of the Warā€¦ so it is a bit of an ā€œinstitutionā€. However, listening patterns have changed; I imagine most working listeners would tune in earlier nowadays. Personally, I routinely get the 10-minute dollop of news at 7.00am on Classic.

2 Likes

also when asking to abc ballarat fbs page about inserting local stories at745 they have regional new stories that air in the longer state bullinetines

1 Like

I didnā€™t realise the 7.45am bulletin has been going on for more than 80 years!

Interesting tweet, not sure if this is just Melbourne or national figures. But check out that peakā€¦
https://twitter.com/BrownMatthewA/status/1275912443055632384?s=19

4 Likes

Holiday shuffle at 774, David Astle goes to Breakfast, Ali Moore on mornings whilst Virginia does Q&A/7:30, Matt Preston on arvos, Iskhander Razak and Tamara Oudyn take a week each for Drive.

ā€¦ radioinfo quoted a"former ABC Executive" as saying ā€œit must have been a political decision to cut something that was high profile and would be noticed by the public and politiciansā€. Of course the ABC tried that same stunt years ago with Behind the News and it backfired ā€¦

2 Likes

Well isnā€™t that graph interesting.
0745 ABC News is essential listening for me, as it has been for years.

1 Like

It is all political the 0745 bulletin removal, all cuts that the ABC has done themselves since during Ruddā€™s time have all been high profile, noticeable cuts.

Donā€™t they realise that pollies, five PMs worth are not changing their ideas?

New legislation is needed to direct the ABC to cut their execs and managers who donā€™t directly contribute to program output.

Too many chiefs and the indians (staff) pay for it.

1 Like

Probably not a good idea for an analogy.

Iā€™d say an illegal strike would be called for, but what would I know.

Thereā€™s only so much you can cut executive pay though. When it comes to cuts, itā€™s not the quick fix solution many (not aimed at you) who propose it think it is

1 Like

Astle said this morning that he would host 774 breakfast for the next two weeks, with Brian Nankervis filling in on evenings for the next three weeks.

1 Like