ABC Local Radio

Trevor Chappell (from Overnights) is hosting a local edition of Evenings across ABC Radio Melbourne & Victoria this week.

5 Likes

With Kat co-hosting The Project tonight, she will present Breakfast from ABC Southbank studios in Melbourne tomorrow morning broadcasting back into Brisbane.

2 Likes

She’d be perfect for them. Highly enthusiastic about her 8:30am talk topic, have you changed your eating preferences to veganism over the Christmas break. You couldn’t write this comedy.

Will be interesting to see if his style changes with the different program.

ABC Radio Adelaide breakfast being hosted from Kingscote on Kangaroo Island this morning on light of the KI bushfire crisis

1 Like

I notice Ali Moore is hosting Summer Breakfast on ABC Melbourne this morning instead of Andrew Hansen.
EDIT: Ali is hosting Summer Breakfast all this week.

2 Likes

Hansen finished up last week. Probably intended to give Sammy J a gap between comedian types.

Who’s on after 10am? Back to national programmes?

3 Likes

Kate O’Toole, then James Valentine, then statewide drive programs, same schedule as 6 Jan onwards.

1 Like

On some Queensland programs this week:

*Anthony Frangi presented ABC Brisbane Breakfast on Monday and Tuesday this week, prior to Craig and Loretta’s return.
*Tim Wong-See presented the states regional Statewide Breakfast program this week.
*Kelly Higgins-Devine presented the Statewide Drive program Monday to Wednesday (and all of last week), with Steve Austin on Thursday and Friday.

Meantime - some changes to the ABC Gold Coast lineup from Monday:

*Nicole Dyer moves from Mornings to Breakfast to co-host Monday to Thursday Breakfast alongside news reporter Tom Forbes. Kate O’Toole will do Fridays.
*Matt Webber moves from Drive to the Mornings program.
*Julie Clift moves from Friday and Saturday Breakfast to Drive.

This change coming about due to previous Breakfast presenter Bern Young opting to take some time off-air this year. The Gold Coast Bulletin has also written a feature report about this in today’s paper.

1 Like

The Outer Sanctum returns on Saturday, February 1, in time for the start of the 2020 AFLW season.

Also, Karen Tighe (who presents the 3pm-6pm AEDT portion of Grandstand and Grandstand Wrap) is taking a break this weekend. Niav Owens presented this weekend.

An article in today’s Gold Coast Bulletin paper says ABC Gold Coast presenter Bern Young has announced she will contest the local government elections in March as a candidate.

POPULAR Gold Coast morning radio presenter Bern Young is standing for city council in the firey Palm Beach division occupied by 30-year veteran Daphne McDonald. The bombshell poll announcement will be made today after Ms Young, a presenter and journalist for more than 25 years, finalises existing work commitments at ABC 91.7.

She will nominate for Division 13, standing against Ms McDonald, a former Deputy Mayor and councillor since 1991.

“I’ve taken leave without pay, as per the ABC policy, so I’m self-funding my family expenses over that time. I’ve made a deliberate decision to accept donations for campaign costs but with a clear distinction.

1 Like
1 Like

A bit of a muck up when broadcasting some breaking news on ABC Tasmania earlier today, there was a soft voice running behind the Conversations program which was currently airing, nearly impossible to hear but they had been breaking the news that the vote for a new Premier for Tasmania was no longer needed and there would be details in the news at 12 (about 10 minutes away) but had failed to turn down the existing programming.

1 Like

Her most recent role on 2CH is not mentioned in the SMH story.

6 Likes

Indira Naidoo returns to ABC to host ABC Radio’s Weekend Nightlife

Award-winning broadcaster and author, Indira Naidoo, makes her return to the ABC on Friday 7 February, as the host of ABC Radio’s Weekend Nightlife .

Ms Naidoo will present the national program each Friday, Saturday and Sunday, sharing hosting duties with Philip Clark – who presents the show Mondays to Thursdays.

Director of ABC Regional & Local, Judith Whelan, said: “It is wonderful to have Indira back on the ABC and behind the Nightlife mic at weekends. Indira is well-known and much-loved by ABC audiences and I’m sure Nightlife listeners all around Australia will welcome her with open arms.”

“I’m thrilled to be joining ABC Radio as the host of Weekend Nightlife ,” Ms Naidoo said. “I began my broadcasting career at the ABC 30 years ago and there couldn’t be a more important time to re-join our national broadcaster.

As we’ve seen during this long bushfire-ravaged summer, ABC Radio plays a vital role in our community by helping Australians stay informed and safe. I look forward to continuing the wonderful legacy of Sarah Macdonald and the Weekend Nightlife team, by sharing compelling news and stories from across Australia and around the globe.”

Indira Naidoo has hosted and reported for some of the country’s most distinguished news and current affair programs – including ABC’s late edition news and as presenter/reporter for SBS TV’s World News Tonight . She was formerly media manager for the consumer advocacy group, Choice and has written two best-selling books The Edible Balcony and The Edible City. Ms Naidoo has also guest-presented ABC TV’s Gardening Australia and hosted SBS’s Filthy Rich and Homeless .

In 2019, Indira co-hosted the 2CH Breakfast show with Trevor Sinclair. She replaces Sarah Macdonald who is hosting the NSW and ACT Evenings show following Chris Bath’s departure from ABC Radio Sydney in December 2019.

Nightlife can be heard on ABC Radio across Australia from 10.00pm to 2.00am (AEST).

4 Likes

Looks like Karen Tighe is having another weekend off from Grandstand. Niav Owens hosting the first half of the show today (Saturday) followed by Brett Sprigg for the second half.

Sunday 26 January:
No Grandstand today due to Australia Day programming. Andrea Gibbs hosting national afternoons from 2pm to 4pm AEDT followed by Sirine Demackhie from 4pm to 6.30pm AEDT.

1 Like

Disgraceful! Typical of the poor reporting of Sydney radio by Sydney newspapers.

Her on air partner at 2CH, Trevor Sinclair would do well at considering a move to the ABC too, surely better job security for an accomplished broadcaster of his calibre.

Indira’s personality will be suited in time to the NSW ABC nights program, quite similar to Chris Bath, this year will be interesting with Sarah Macdonald.

3 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, Trevor Sinclair has been at 2CH a few times over the years, so perhaps he might be somewhat loyal to that station?

But of course, I agree that he’d be great on ABC Sydney or any other station in the market (Nine’s relaunched 2UE? While 2CH would hate this, I’d like to predict that Tim Webster might go back in a year or so from now) which can provide a bit more job security.

2 Likes

Richard Glover noted today that was in a new studio with a new phone system and that calls should sound better.

Does this mean the new studio/phone lines support HD Voice?

3 Likes

ABC Local Radio currently experiencing transmission issues as Indira Naidoo makes her debut on Nightlife.

Restored at 10:18pm.

3 Likes

“Dave of Mount Morgan” rang into ABC’s Macca. He used to work at 4CD in Gladstone many moons ago, now runs drones and used to work on the reef islands. Perhaps someone will know of Dave now of Mt Morgan who used to work at 4CD.