ABC Local Radio

And hopefully as long a spell before the next. Consensual violence, what a great idea.

I find that difficult to believe.

1989:

2018:

Should have made it clearer, it’s only second time in 35 years that boxing is on ABC Radio.

1 Like

Yes it is that one.

Steph has been filling in for the last couple of weeks of the usual Myf Warhurst slot before Summer programming begins today (James Valentine take over that shift, according to the guides). The digital weekends block is a compile of bits from the weekday show - essentially what the “Myf Rewind” show was.

1 Like

Whilst I’m not really a boxing fan, there are technical and tactical aspects to it, so it’s not like a pub brawl.

Summer programming getting underway across ABC Local Radio from today. Here’s the Queensland line-up (based on listening and EPG listings):

5am - 9am Kat Feeney (Brisbane only) / Local Breakfast in regional areas
9am - 11am Anthony Frangi (Statewide)
1pm - 4pm James Valentine (National)
4pm - 6.30pm Adam Stephen (Statewide)
7pm - 10pm Sirine Demachkie (National)

2 Likes

Did anyone hear the promo for Andrew Hansen’s breakfast show on ABC Radio Melbourne? It is with a similar tune to the Victoria Bitter theme in the background. It’s quite hilarious.

2 Likes

According to this article from Radioinfo, the SA Country Hour will be broadcast into ABC Radio Adelaide at 12:30-1pm weekdays from Monday 20th January.

I think it’s the first time Country Hour is broadcast on ABC Radio in a mainland capital city.

1 Like

It was always on the capital city stations up until the 70s I think.

3 Likes

Yes, it was on 2FC in Sydney.

1 Like

Some more Summer updates (based on ABC EPG information):

This weekend -

*Grand National with Lehmo and Emma (going into most states)
*Nightlife with Mark Sutton
*Australia All Over with Warwick Long
*National Sunday Morning with Samuel Johnson

In Queensland - Meecham Phillpott (Mackay) it says is presenting a Saturday Breakfast program.

Next weeks line-up:

*Mornings with Lisa Pellegrino
*Afternoons with James Valentine
*Drive with Nikolai Beiharz
*Evenings with Sirine Demachkie
*Nightlife with Suzanne Hill
*Overnights with Michael Pavlich

Also of note - Mark Sutton mentioned at the start of tonight’s Nightlife show that they were broadcasting from Melbourne - due to last minute overnight major IT work at Ultimo. The 10pm national bulletin also appeared to have been presented from Brisbane.

2 Likes

Unfortunate that James Valentine gave the ABC Radio Sydney ident a few times yesterday when he was national. Especially on ABC Radio Melbourne. The listeners down south would have been grumbling about the Sydney Broadcasting Corp when there were major fires in Victoria.

2 Likes

It states the frequency in the upper hunter is 549am shouldnt that be 1233am or 1044 am or 105.7 fm? Only a minor detail, I wish everyone affected all the best.

2 Likes

@glen2006, so did Mark Sutton and his production team fly from Syd to Melb to continue with the show or already based in Melb?

Great that the Brisbane newsroom had a now rare evening shift for radio news.

Agree, the lack of local shifts over summer is shown up at times of major fires. Melbourne could support more local shifts.

Agree, they should get the right freq, stretched staffing prevents this sadly.

Grandstand Year in Review is being broadcast from ABC Perth studios all this weekend. This photo of Corbin Middlemas was taken by producer Ben Cameron yesterday.

They usually do the year in review from Perth, particularly since Peter Walsh’s departure.

I wondered where Peter Walsh had ended up (or if he’d simply retired) until yesterday when I noticed him pop up on FIVEaa presenting a Saturday sports show (in amongst covering the latest fire situations in SA).

1 Like

Is all Country Hours produced in the own state?. Strange to see Nikolai Beiharz doing QLD drive when he does Vic Country hour

I think Drive is national for at least the next two weeks. That leaves Breakfast as the only local program during that time.

2 Likes