ABC Local Radio

Transmission site will be on a hill with likely a good LOS to Mt Dandenong.

Now they can use the audio from the DTV service for even better coverage if required.

Remember that they’ll be using a broadcast quality receive antenna, well beyond consumer equipment.

2 Likes

Good points, I was thinking more about residents relying on Grandstand digital for sports coverage.

3 Likes

The priority for a site like Mount Donna Buang is to be able to broadcast emergency information in an area with variable AM coverage. Arguably, it is better served in this regard by taking the digital (DAB+, DTV, online etc.) feed: on Thursday, for instance, Raf Epstein’s drive shift was pre-empted on AM by the cricket, but aired on the digital feed. He was able to provide more information/take calls on some of the smaller incidents (ie. Monbulk, the Knox recycling fire) that weren’t at an emergency level and didn’t require breaking into the cricket across the state for.

In any catastrophic event, this information would be disseminated via as many platforms as possible. In lieu establishing a local station however (as they did in Kinglake after Black Saturday), this is the next best solution in my eyes.

1 Like
2 Likes

Chip Le Grand in that article writes that the ABC decision

Is that an indication that there will be no commercial radio coverage, or Le Grand just forgot that there has been a commercial radio coverage for decades?

2 Likes

ABC News Victoria reported tonight there is no commercial broadcaster signed up as yet.

Even still, I don’t recall a commercial broadcaster providing as thorough coverage as the ABC, even for the years of the “Australian Radio” joint coverage with 3AW/2UE etc. Often just the finals, I think MMM just relayed Seven’s commentary which isn’t suited to radio.

1 Like

Well, with Faine leaving, and what one could already see as writing on the wall, now’s as good time as any to blow her up and start again.

1 Like

The Age burying the lede here. Sammy J is replacing Sami & Jacinta as tipped by Crikey last month

2 Likes

TV Blackbox reporting Chris Bath has been dropped as ABC Radio Sydney and ABC Local Radio NSW Evenings presenter

Not surprised that ABC is parting ways with Sami and Jacinta, because many listeners did not warm to them.

2 Likes

Screenshot_20191129-111157~2

1 Like

The ABC has confirmed Chris is leaving, but disputed some of my reporting. I have updated the story:

1 Like

Is Myf Warhurst going from ABC Radio also? Hopefully a return to live local radio programming in the afternoon next year.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Meantime in Brisbane - Kat Davidson was filling on ABC Brisbane breakfast this morning. Her husband Stav was on his Hit105 breakfast show at the same time. So both teams decided to do a team interview live on both stations.

https://radioinfo.com.au/news/hubby-v-wife-breakfast-brisbane-updated-audio

2 Likes

Sammy J will officially take over as host of ABC Radio Melbourne breakfast on January 20 next year.

Also, the official explanation for Chris’ departure from ABC Radio Sydney (in her own words):

It was a very difficult one to make, but I need to find a job with hours more conducive to having my family recognise me!

2 Likes

Will Sami move to RN do we think? I wonder if Arvos will return to local 12.30-4pm? I hope so.

Ah, the well-worn “spending more time with the family”

6 Likes

With the changes to 10 News it makes a bit more sense now

Does anyone know what ABC Radio Grandstand’s broadcast arrangement is for the current A League season?