ABC Local Radio

For those interested - a couple of SE-Qld fillins occurring at the moment.

In Brisbane - ABC QLD 7pm Newsreader Matt Wordsworth is filling in for Rebecca Levingston on Mornings.
And Sarah Howells is filling in for Kat Feeney on Afternoons.

And on the Gold Coast - Kate O’Toole (previous Darwin drive host) is filling for Bern Young on Breakfast for two weeks from Monday.

Also of note - in previous weeks Tim Wong-See filled in for Kelly Higgins-Devine on Statewide Evenings.

1 Like

anyone in Tas want to let me know how Helen Shield is doing on arvos? she’s an old friend of mine from years back (i’d have to say 20 years now) from when she hosted breakfast on 96five in brisbane

1 Like

ABC audio current affairs flagship PM marks 50 years

A special episode of the ABC’s PM on Monday (8 July) will feature content celebrating its 50th anniversary, including some of the voices from the program across the ages.

One of the most influential current affairs programs in Australia’s media landscape, PM was launched on 7 July 1969, about two years after its older sibling AM. The program names were the brainchild of ABC General Manager Talbot Duckmanton.

PM ’s first presenters were Lawrence Bryant and John Highfield, who hosted on alternate nights. Many distinguished names have worked on the show, including presenters Iain Finlay, Paul Murphy, Monica Attard, Ellen Fanning and Mark Colvin – who hosted from 1997 to 2017 – and reporters Ray Martin, Bob Carr, Kate Baillieu, Maxine McKew, and many more. Initially 25 minutes long, PM was expanded to 50 minutes in 1987, before resuming the half-hour format in 2018, matching AM .

Today the program is as strong as ever under presenter Linda Motttram.

Says ABC senior researcher John Spence: “ PM has been required listening for all politicians who wanted to know what was going on in Australia or overseas. Even crime writer Peter Corris’s fictional detective Cliff Hardy listened.”

PM can be heard each weekday on ABC RN at 5.00pm and ABC Local Radio networks at 6.30pm. Daily episodes and individual segments are also available on the website and podcast on iTunes. Find all content on the ABC listen app.

First PM presenters Lawrence Bryant and John Highfield with producer Tim Bowden

First PM presenters Lawrence Bryant and John Highfield with producer Tim Bowden

5 Likes

Other movements this week included:

Ali Moore filling for Jon Faine on Mornings
Dilruk Jayasinha filling for Richelle Hunt on Afternoons Tuesday to Thursday, with Brian Nanverkis doing Monday (alongside Friday Revue)
Casey Bennetto filling for David Astle on evenings

Next week:

Sami Shah back on Breakfast
Ali Moore filling for Jon Faine on Mornings
Andrew Hanson filling for Richelle Hunt on Afternoons
Rafael Epstein back on Drive
Casey Bennetto filling for David Astle on evenings

4 Likes

A few other fill-ins of note around the place:

Josh Szeps filling in for Wendy Harmer and Robbie Buck on Sydney Breakfast this past week and next.
Sirine Demachkie fillin in for Chris Bath on NSW Evenings this past week and next.

Ashwin Segkar filling in for Emma Griffiths on Queensland Weekend Mornings this week.

2 Likes

About as engaging as turds in the toilet.

1 Like

I wonder if in the future ABC Radio will change to ABC Audio.

1 Like

Interesting thought.

Though ABC Radio (region name) is the proper name, and “audio” doesn’t really differentiate from other ABC radio stations that are also audio.

A similar idea is, ABC Sounds (region name), and they could expand on that with TV, eg ABC Vision NSW.

ABC Listen maybe?

4 Likes

Judith Whelan has been appointed Director of ABC Regional & Local, replacing Michael Mason.

Source: Radioinfo

1 Like

Virginia Trioli will take over as mornings host on ABC Radio Melbourne on October 14, but not before Jon Faine hosts one final live show at the Melbourne Town Hall.

Faine and former Insiders host Barrie Cassidy will be hosting a special in-conversation evening on politics and local media landscape Thursday August 8 at ABC Southbank studios.

2 Likes

I hope next year sees changes to local radio afternoons and go back to local from 1pm

4 Likes

Not good if this comes to pass.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/virginia-trioli-may-miss-out-on-inheriting-show-as-abc-looks-to-cut-costs/news-story/1f8008b03a4d111c48e45153b2c2d4a0

The current Convo Hour from Faine is actually statewide. Is Fidler even live? Sounds like a podcast whenever I’ve been interstate.

Try link through this tweet, seems to get around the paywall.

Thanks @Frankie

It was always the plan to dump local convos from Victoria. Another reason why Faine left because they told him in 2017 that the hour would not continue after 2019. That was public knowledge.

The ABC has been chasing a younger audience for their metro Local Radio stations for some years now with little success.

Long popular content that has become familiar for the audience has been dumped in favour of softer topics and what I’d term as rubbish content.

Therefore, it’s bemusing the high level of coverage for the past week on the moon landing.

It happened 50 years ago. Full of reminiscing of those who saw it or were involved.

Therefore, the audience would need to be above 50 to remember this.

A curious exception for their relentless quest for a a 40 - 50 audience for their softer topics.

6 Likes

Yet I’m well under their normal demo and much rather Faine, Raf or even PK on RN than Myf and that nonesense they are inundating us with. It’s not what the ABC audience wants, JJJ and Double J are there for that other content for a reason.

8 Likes

Me too, same reasons, I agree.

Matt Preston will fill in for Sami Shah on ABC Melbourne breakfast next week.

1 Like

Dare I ask if he knows how much of a paycut this will be compared to what he earned on Masterchef?

He’s filled in on afternoons previously and often co-hosts with Faine. I’d suspect he’s aware of the cheque at the end.

1 Like