ABC Local Radio

Was it this one? - I recorded this from 4QR on 1 June 1987 for the then 40th anniversary of ABC News (the second theme is the one that was current at the time).

1 Like

I thought ears were playing up. Did i hear Murray Wilton reading the news on ABC local radio at 6am?

1 Like

Didn’t hear it so can’t say for sure, although I suppose Murray Wilton might have some time to present some fill-in radio now the Sydney Royal Easter Show is over for another year and the RAS probably won’t generate too much media coverage until next February/March.

1 Like

Virginia is leaving News Breakfast to join ABC Radio Melbourne full-time:

6 Likes

No surprise? We all expected this?

Virginia will start in her new role later this year.

Terrible studio for their flagship show. Pokey shoebox with a fishbowl end to of a window.

Jon Faine will host his mornings show from Torquay Bowls Club tomorrow (Friday) as part of federal election special coverage. Torquay is in the marginal Liberal seat of Corangamite.

3 Likes

From Radioinfo:

A Shorten Labor Government will invest $2 million in the ABC to improve its facilities in Geelong which it says will support increased on-the-ground reporting and help serve the rapidly growing population in South West Victoria.

Read more at: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/labor-pledges-extra-2-million-abc-sw-victoria

1 Like

They need to revive the idea of Geelong having its own ABC local radio station too. Otherwise “more local coverage” gets lost in Melbourne’s output.

4 Likes

Yes just not on 94.7FM

Do they really?

You know that 774 ABC Melb as it was then known outrated the two local commercial stations?

The TX site is on the Geelong side of Melb, so signal is good.

If they were to have an FM local service (without repeating the debacle of elbowing out the community station), when would the local content air? During Myf’s show? Conversation hour if Trioli doesn’t continue?

1 Like

Been confirmed Melbourne will continue with the conversation hour, regionals join in for that anyway.

What about a local breakfast for a hypothetical ABC Geelong?

3 Likes

Local breakfast would be great plus just the ability to listen to ABC on FM :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Given the high ratings of ABC Melbourne in Geelong, an ABC Geelong should be a no brainer.

All other provincial markets have a local ABC, Geelong should as well.

Finding a suitable frequency could be an issue. I recall the ACMA proposed 91.9 (after the controversy of wanting to kick Pulse off 94.7) , which would co-channel with Hit Bendigo, but perhaps an AM frequency such as 558/900/1098 that are no longer used in northern Tasmania could be an option.

2 Likes

I’m just curious. Has it always been there? I thought it used to be out at Rowville? Did it move or am I thinking of another station?

EDIT: Sorry, I think I just found the answer. Looks like 3MP broadcasts from Rowville. Not sure why I thought 774 was out there.

1 Like

Always at Delahey to my knowledge.
Along with RN.

Though News Radio is over at Templestowe, only because it inherited the old 3DB gear when given its old 1026 frequency.

3 Likes

Didn’t know that. Interesting idea. It shouldn’t be an issue as the radiation pattern for Geelong is pretty tight with not much spilling to the north (and next to nothing to the east. Not that it matters). And the Bendigo station is very directional to the north from Mt Alexander. The mountain ranges in between would provide a buffer too.

Sure there would be a few places where people might lose their reception of hit. But it’s about time we stopped worrying about those outside the service areas with fortuitous reception and started making good use of the spectrum available. Like they do in most other parts of the world.

1 Like

Should be on 89.3 - a narrowcaster shouldn’t be using up a valuable frequency in a congested market.

3 Likes

Agree hardly thing it’s fair for one owner to have three frequencies in one market anyway

1 Like