ABC Local Radio

I hear that is a specially recorded edition of AM for WA listeners, due to time difference. Also, when the cricket is on Local Radio, PM is shorter than when it is on RN, usually 20-25 minutes compared to 40 minutes.

it’s even worse on digital with no parliamentary coverage. it’s surprising to me that there are at not at least 2 dedicated parliamentary channels (HOR and senate obviously) - and if not more with whats actually being sent though Parliament house internally

Newsradio, given the restrictions they work under (i don’t know the budget but i get the felling it’s 3/10ths of F-all, as well as working around parliament) do a good job. i’ve been critical of a few things they do - too much reliance on long form programming, especially on weekends moving away from the rolling news format (weekends they have The Health Report, the Law Report & Background Briefing (all also on Radio national).

they also cut to the “partner programming” too early (essentially overseas public broadcasters) on Saturday it’s 4:00pm and Sundays it’s 4:00 (with a half hour local bulletin at 5pm)

also bear in mind these are AEST - if you are in WA it’s even worse. the only redeeming thing about this is that during the AFL season they broadcast afternoon games into Brisbane (and Sydney i think as well on analogue)

There used to be a Tasmanian specific edition of AM some years when we had moved to daylight savings earlier and were an hour ahead. Tony Eastley would make some Tasmanian references to the time change.

Triple J is getting that way at the moment! I’m sure with Michelle Guthrie’s experience with commercial media she will make sure it will happen!

I have notice double J is very commercial

Doesn’t seem that commercial to me.

I’m looking at the playlist tonight and it looks like 1 out of 10 songs are by artists I’ve actually heard of, and 1 in 50 songs are ones which are actually familiar to me.

One thing I’d like to mention is Rage. I think they nail the music selection in terms of balancing mass market stuff and what you’d normally see in terms of musical content on the ABC. I’d love the ABC to have a go with something similar on radio, perhaps relaunching Double J with a similar sort of playlist.

Unfortunately it’ll be decried as being too ‘commercial’ and the staff at the ABC would have a hissy fit and cry to The Guardian about their ‘values’ being urinated upon by Führerin Guthrie.

(if we’re getting too off topic, could mods pls move this to ‘ABC Operations’ or whatever the appropriate topic is)

1 Like

Doesn’t that have something to do with an archaic Parliamentary regulation/law that states that certain chambers can only be covered by a certain medium (TV or Radio) at a certain time, the very reason why question time proceedings are from the Senate on days when ABC1 cover the House?

The Pollies would never want to give up their heads/voices being broadcast on TV/radio, so I doubt we’ll see things change. However, I agree that parliament coverage could completely go from the analogue airwaves (and even TV), and be consolidated either into 1-2 digital radio channels or even as a podcast format. No less available, just not occupying up to two media streams across the country

There is live streaming of the Representatives, Senate, Federation Chamber, and committees. I don’t see the need for radio coverage these days.

Apart from all those areas that don’t have digital radio yet - many of which also have pretty poor internet access.

ABC News journalist Casey Briggs reports that the Federal Court has filed an injunction against the ABC preventing the rebrand of 891 ABC Adelaide to ABC Radio Adelaide. The rebranding was challenged by the incumbent community station Radio Adelaide, who are yet to release a statement.

(Twitter)

Hmm…I wonder what will happen with the ABC Local Radio rebrand then. Will they delay or cancel it, do something different for Adelaide (eg, keeping 891 or a unique name) or something else entirely?

Maybe they’ll do what Triple M did when they wanted the 5MMM call-sign (from what is now 5DDD), and just shovel a lot of money to Radio Adelaide to make the problem go away :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I can’t see the ABC doing that…

If anything, ABC will probably stick with the current 891 ABC Adelaide name but continue with the rebrand everywhere else.

It’s worth remembering that in recent years, other radio networks in Australia such as the Hit and KIIS networks have done newer style logos and branding for all markets while continuing to use “legacy” names in some markets.

I don’t think it would be that hard for the ABC to continue with the new look logo/branding in all markets, with Adelaide getting something like “ABC 891 Adelaide” to please the local community station.

I was kind of talking in jest… I can’t see ABC shelling out precious taxpayers’ money for a piece of branding :wink:

1 Like

More information in ABC News online (emphasis added)

3 Likes

Post Survey #8 we talk to all the network bosses, next is Head of Radio for the ABC Michael Mason.

actually, scrub that… how much is this re-brand to “Radio…” costing??

Can’t be very much, rebranding is never that expensive.

It cost $800,000 AUD for the whole rebrand of BBC News in 2008 (two news channels, three studios, flagship bulletins, a dozen or so local services, a website and breakfast), which is a pittance compared to broadcasting budgets. Changing the logo and name of some local radio stations would be next to nothing.

I assume the quoted figure above of $100,000 includes legal fees the ABC has incurred and perhaps having to shell out $$$ to remove the new Adelaide logo from advertising and bring back the old Local Radio Adelaide logo.

3 Likes