ABC Local Radio

2NR Lawrence had a lot of history associated with it: the original transmitter building was sitting empty and was going to be let to a community group(not sure if it ever happened?). The transmitters were a containerised pre-fab kit built by the then Wesgo for the old NTA. From memory it may have had 2 Harris DX25’s in parallel in it or perhaps a single DX50. There were others I had seen that had Nautel’s in them. Wesgo was a contracting business associated with the old 2WS AM station in Sydney.

1 Like

Josh Szeps will now be filling for James Valentine from tomorrow and James O’Laughlin will do Afternoons.

2 Likes

Stay in bed folks.

Szeps is boring AF. No wonder 702’s ratings are tanking.

Chris Taylor doing Breakfast again this morning.

1 Like

ABC Melbourne weekday line-up 26/6 - 30/6
Breakfast: Andrew Hansen (Monday-Thursday) / Charlie Pickering (Friday)
Mornings: Ali Moore (Monday-Thursday) / Tamara Oudyn (Friday)
Conversation Hour: Nic Healey
Afternoons: Lisa Leong (Monday-Thursday) / Jacinta Parsons and Brian Nankervis (Friday)
Drive: Rafael Epstein
Evenings: Casey Bennetto (Monday-Thursday) / Sirine Demachkie (Friday)
Nightlife: Philip Clark (Monday-Thursday) / Suzanne Hill (Friday)
Overnights: Michael Pavlich (Monday-Thursday) / Rod Quinn (Friday)

UPDATED 30/6/2023

2 Likes

the longevity of this show amazes me. My grandparents were listening to this literally 40 years ago. Is it really a show that’s still engaging/relevant after 40 years?

3 Likes

My guess is no, it’s stll exactly the same as it was that long ago and is just hours of weird stuff that isn’t easy to listen to with weird and random “wacky” songs (often with him talking/singing along over the top of them - this isn’t karaoke), endless amounts of birds chirping (I actually like birds but that is just annoying, Macca with his favourite callers and then rude and dismissive to others and just making it feel awkward for listeners. Although I did hear the other day they’ve updated their song that used to say they have letters, emails and faxes to finally no longer mention they get stacks and stacks of faxes and that just sounds awkward and terrible too.
Surely there’s a better, more suited thing that we could have on Sundays? They make it tolerable every other day of the week.

4 Likes

Tamara Oudyn filling in today.

3 Likes

I’ve been meaning to make this post for the last week or so but the ABC and BAI in there wisdom have pulled all ABC radio service off the air the last two friday morning at 1am for maintenance on Mt Dowe. Whilst I’m aware they do need to do this from time to time I’m stunned they’ve decided to do this in the middle of the Ashes. The one last week in particular was right in the midde of the 5th day drama in that tight game leaving people in North West NSW without the cricket commentary at the most critical moment in the game :roll_eyes: Poor Form in my book :-1:

PS. I’ve also just noticed they’ve switched off the stereo pilot on ABC Local Radio 99.1 from Mt Dowe

6 Likes

Some shuffles to cover holidays/leave next week on ABC Radio Brisbane:

Breakfast - Kelly Higgins-Devine and Joel Spreadborough
Mornings - Kate O’Toole
Afternoons - Tegan Taylor
Evenings - Kat Davidson
Weekends - Ashwin Segkar

1 Like

ABC Radio will have live coverage of 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup, which starts on July 20.

1 Like

She’s married to “Stav” Davidson from B105 Breakfast,she does a few fill in shifts at ABC Brisbane

2 Likes

I guess Australia All Over is still on air after 40 years because it has fans in rural areas and among Aussie expats overseas.

1 Like

It was planned well in advance, just unlucky timing. Plus, the cricket was streaming on the app so this statement is false.

Not everyone in regional areas have high speed internet and/or Smart TVs whereby they can switch over easily.

3 Likes

Given it’s been dumped from RA it maybe doesn’t have that much interest overseas. But if the rural listeners like it, keep it going there and give the cities a more appropriate/relevant program.

5 Likes

A decent amount of the coverage area of that service gets pretty ropy (if any) mobile reception.

It’s all well and good to say “Just listen on the app”, but for a lot of people, it’s simply not a realistic option.

3 Likes

To use the ABC Listen app?

Again, they would have scheduled these a long time ago, not thinking about what they might be cutting off (generally nothing at that time).

Sorry, i was thinking TV not radio when I posted that.

But the same issue re internet coverage and reliability applies here too.

1 Like