ABC Local Radio

Chris Bath filled in for James Valentine on ABC Radio Sydney today.

2 Likes

Insiders host David Speers filling in for Virginia Trioli on ABC Radio Melbourne this morning.

3 Likes

No he didn’t. He had his usual spot after the 9am news, I didn’t catch the whole programme but Trioli was was there at the beginning and end.

4 Likes

ABC Melbourne was evacuated earlier, came back on air at 4:30, Kirsten Diprose took over from Ballarat with Statewide Drive.

Also tailback lines are down. Not a good afternoon.

Also affected ABC News channel.

1 Like

Fauziah Ibrahim is hosting Afternoons across ABC Local Radio this afternoon.

1 Like

Eleanor Hall is departing The World Today, with Sally Sara to take her place.

2 Likes

Low standards then. I can’t stand the guy. About as funny as cancer.

1 Like

AM, PM and The World Today are the 3 best current affairs shows on Australian TV or radio. they are essential listening, even via podcast if you can find the time. I know in the leadup to each federal election especially i make time

5 Likes

My work commute used to be two hours each way, and listening to Mark Colvin on PM was often the highlight of my day. I learned about so many new people, places, books, movies, and other things from listening to PM.

6 Likes

Back when it was one hour and presented by a talented person with authority and experience.

1 Like

Adam Stephens’ Northern QLD drive program, which airs on ABC Far North Queensland, ABC North Queensland & ABC Tropical Queensland, had been relayed to ABC Western Queensland & ABC Capricornia, initially on a temporary basis. Following “great audience feedback”, it is now being permanently heard into those two stations.

This move allowed Sheridan Stewart’s Southern QLD drive program to concentrate on ABC Sunshine Coast, ABC Wide Bay & ABC Southern Queensland.

Source: Radioinfo

Elsewhere, here’s my post from February:

Looking at the ABC South East program guide on their website just now, this has since become permanent.

This now leaves ABC Illawarra as the only ABC Local Radio station in Regional NSW to still have a local mornings program.

1 Like

ABC 5 year plan:

1 Like

Well that’s fucked.

4 Likes

The 7.45am news will move to 8am and will be 5 minutes long. That means AM will be reduced to 25 minutes.

3 Likes

Where have you seen 10mins? Only time frame I’ve seen is 5mins at 8 in a tweet from Raf Epstein.

For a news junkie it’s horrible news. I was the nerd listening to 7:45 then AM on the way to school in the 90s, even if I listened to another station at other times I’d still get my news and caff fix every morning. Much more informative with regional and international news than a 5 minute bulletin could ever be.

1 Like

ABC 7am is still 10 mins or is that to be reduced as well?

I miss the old AM theme.

2 Likes

I think the 7am news will remain at 10 minutes. It will be the new flagship bulletin.

2 Likes

Aside from the obvious losses to Australian journalism that will occur out of these cutbacks, the demise of the 15 minute 7.45am news will also likely result in the longer version of Majestic Fanfare (compared to the standard 10 Second one used for the 5 minute bulletins) no longer being used?

1 Like

I can see a big drop in audience/ratings for ABC radio breakfast shows as the 7:45 news was such a big drawcard for ABC stations.

1 Like