ABC Local Radio

ABC TV is now appears to be airing promos for the Local Radio Breakfast programs. One featuring Craig Zonca and Loretta Ryan just aired before Q and A here in Brisbane.

1 Like

Saw the Sydney one on election night.

Same in Melbourne.

ABC Radio Brisbane TVC

1 Like

Got it here in Northern Vic and we don’t have Sammy Shah and the other woman on here .

Got a theory on this. Might be a long bow. I really enjoy Andrew Moore coverage on the ABC. Andrew Moore is very happy on Grandstand compared to his GB days (the reason has been expressed on the Macquarie Radio Thread) . He was fairly right on the political issues on GB when he worked on 2GB, doing Alan Jones show etc. My impression he believed what he meant on GB and could speak more openly on his talkback shows (even when he was 2sm going back a few years). Politics do get mixed up in sports and on the ABC I can feel the difference.

I wonder when Warren Ryan & David Morrow were pushed out of the ABC. Has meant now that commentators/opinion need to be “careful” when airing views on sensitive issues. To avoid breaching the ABC core values. You may have “career issues” then.

here was the article for those who forgot.

David Morrow found employment at 2GB. I am not saying that David Morrow did the right thing, he should of had his mic off and avoid that topic in the workplace esp at the ABC.

Given what happen to David , will ABC radio come down hard on people expressing views on certain topics that don’t meet the ABC charter ? I get the impression Andrew is not giving his complete views as he would/could of GB. Its only an impression.

Other than cricket / rugby league , its rare for me to listen to the ABC. I know people GB/SM/Sky are saying the ABC should be more to the central rather than to the left. Like get some of the folk from the old 2ue like Mike Jeffreys have a show on the ABC who can be of the right to give it a bit of balance and may help the ratings.

For example , even allow them to express views about semi privatising the ABC (without fear of losing the job). Honest , diversity of views as the ABC is paid by our taxes. (Not saying its my view but people on air should be able to express it if they are in favour of it ). If the abc was able to be balanced it could help them in the ratings.

Patricia Karvelas will fill in for Jon Faine on ABC Melbourne mornings this week and next week. This was her tweet yesterday.

1 Like

Queen’s Birthday holiday programming has been interesting.

Afternoon:
Brisbane’s Kat Feeney was also broadcast via Sydney/NSW and Adelaide/SA and seemingly Tasmania.

Mercifully, Melbourne had Andrew Hansen filling in. The five second check I made of both showed very light content, magazine style, hardly compelling. Hansen a better presenter with a genuine delivery. Feeney sounded contrived.

Drive:
Darwin program broadcast through the rest of the CST zone stations.

Melbourne, Sydney, Hobart drive presenters local but replaced statewide programs including Canberra and Newcastle.

2 Likes

Melbourne and Hobart had AFL on, so I assume drive programs were for online and digital radio?

2 Likes

Correct, streaming.

Hobart had a special program with Ryk Goddard (I think it was him) for Dark Mofo festival from 1:30pm which was after The World Today and went straight before the AFL coverage on the analogue radio.

Prior to lunch seemed to be as normal with normal breakfasts in both north and south, Mornings and the Country Hour.

2 Likes

The Country Hour should be swapped between north and south. Midday from Launceston, 12:30/5 from Hobart

Provide some variety to programming.

It already feels statewide enough, the North gets the additional Rural Report too which runs from 6:30 to 7am. Used to be a specific rural reporter but is now with Belinda from breakfast and one of the rural teams and is often done from Burnie - about the only time the Burnie studio is regularly used I think.

1 Like

Raf Epstein is filling in for Jon Faine next week with Paul Kennedy hosting drive.

1 Like

ABC regional local radio had their morning schedules reorganised some years ago.

Local breakfast begins at 6:30am with the rural report following early AM after 6am.

Local news bulletins limited to bottom of the hour at 6:30 and 7:30 and if you’re lucky, midday. No recorded or updated afternoon bulletin at 5:30 PM, 8:30 bulletin gone too.

Morning program usually beginning at 8:30 or 9 cut in favour of an hour shift beginning at 10am.

The problem is that local programming at 10am has been cut from many stations.

NSW is the worst offender.

ABC Newcastle this year has been supplying a generic, often soft content hour to what seems to be all NSW stations save for ABC Bega.

When the schedules changed, there were local programs at 10am but these have now disappeared.

ABC Newcastle began a new presenter line up to rejuvenate the station yet are now compromised to provide this near statewide hour.

WA and SA seem to be retaining all of their local one hour shift teams, mostly so in Qld and Vic.

You’d think NSW would have more funding, what are they doing with their money instead?

1 Like

ABC Illawarra is spared from that change, in which they still have their local morning program from 8:30 to 11am.

Interestingly, given that ABC Newcastle now has their near statewide hour at 10-11am weekdays, ABC Illawarra now has 1 more hour of local programming per weekday than ABC Newcastle! :open_mouth:

1 Like

Correct, they stayed on the old schedule.

I kept clear of the larger markets that do have more resources such as Illawarra, these are the truly regional ABC stations where commercial stations have largely dropped the ball and now so has the ABC.

ABC Local Radio should be exactly that - local! All the national programs should be migrated over to RN. Most are simulcast anyway, and RN is available around the country. Time to rejuvenate the ABC Local product.

8 Likes

With this morning’s announcement that Virginia Trioli will leave ABC News Breakfast on August 16 to join ABC Radio Melbourne’s mornings program, does it mean Jon Faine will also finish his stint on around the same date?

2 Likes

This Monday night on ABC Radio Perth.

1 Like