A Current Affair

Does ACA Really need a better set than this though? It’s all basically Tracey reading intros to stories with the occasional live cross. I personally really like the new set and think for what ACA is, it works.

8 Likes

Isn’t that all any news show/bulletin is?

4 Likes

Agreed.

It’s more than enough, especially during COVID times when they’re trying to run things on a shoestring.

2 Likes

It certainly fits the nature of the content, that’s for sure.

The set is OK for the show but could be utilised better instead of cramming everything to the left-hand side.

2 Likes

It looks awful

3 Likes

Yes and no. A typical news bulletin features a lot more elements (in studio reports, sport, Weather, Live interviews etc) than just story intros. Which means you need variation in setup. You dont need this on ACA.

Let’s not forget that whenever ACA has had a large and elaborate set to play around with in the past (2012-16 in Studio 22, which wasn’t always available to them for various reasons) it was never really used to its fullest potential.

A show which only has 2-3 minutes worth of in-studio segments doesn’t really require the same level of investment as Today and Nine News who’s set likely gets a few hours of screen time each weekday.

3 Likes

Why couldn’t ACA incorporate more of these elements? Comparing this show with its two main competitors (The Project and 7.30) the difference in terms of presentation is stark.

But as I’ve said before, as long as ACA leads in the ratings Nine has zero motivation to put anything more than minimum effort in.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say A Current Affair is exactly an unbeatable ratings behemoth in the key metro markets these days, given the recent numbers we’ve seen for ABC News at 7pm in Melbourne and to a lesser extent Sydney.

Like Hot Seat, Nine are probably happy to keep ACA running for the risk adverse short-medium term future but I’d be surprised if we weren’t seeing different lead-in/out programs for Nine News at 6pm in 5-10 years from now.

Surely they could’ve used the Sydney set for ACA too.
Begin in the soft set using stand up presentation and then move to the desk once Sydney news is cleared out.

1 Like

ACA would look fantastic if they could wheel out the couch and have a desk there.

4 Likes

Even presenting from the actual couch if they wanted to change the tone of the show.

4 Likes

I don’t think Nine would want to use the same set for every single program. Especially when trying to extend the life of the set as much as possible.

However it’s currently being shown on-air around 9 hours a day - it would be on pretty much all day due to news updates and preparation as-well.

Early News - 30 minutes
Today - 3 hours 30 minutes
Today Extra - 2 hours 30 minutes
Morning News - 30 minutes
Afternoon News - 1 hour
Nine News Sydney - 1 hour
Late News (occasionally)

ACA tends to pre-record interviews quite frequently so if the main set of the set is being used, they may not be able to use the lounge?

8 Likes

I totally agree, they shouldn’t be using that set for every program !!
10 has been using the same set for all their Sydney based programs since they upgraded that space. As good as Ten’s set is, it is way over used in my opinion.

2 Likes

So with Tracy in Melbourne what will everyone on the MS forums do?! She won’t be on the new set, will we all be ok?
Anyone need some oxygen?

7 Likes

Won’t somebody think of the new studio?

5 Likes

ACA from Federation Square.

7 Likes

I think this should come from the ACA/local news set just to mix it up a bit

1 Like

Cue the discussion on what kind of paving she is standing on at that location.

4 Likes

Tracey Grimshaw is reading out for the advertisements with no voice over or graphics. I guess it’s last minute advertisements.

2 Likes