60th TV Week Logie Awards 2018

Article is from April

Latest article definitely says

The Herald Sun can reveal that TV’s night of nights, synonymous with Victoria for more than 50 years, will likely be held in Queensland from next year.

And from other reports

After a 30 year reign, the Victorian government announced it has decided withdraw its bid to host the 2018 awards.

Get Shaun Micalff to host it!

That’s going to be good!

1 Like
6 Likes

More devistating news

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/logies-leave-melbourne-after-30-years/news-story/70843eccfe060a17b822516ad4678257

KARL Stefanovic has promised to boycott the Logies following news the awards ceremony is moving away from Melbourne after more than 30 years.

Stefanovic didn’t pull any punches when the topic was raised on the Today show on Monday, branding the decision “disgusting” during an explosive rant.

“I’m telling you right now - if the Logies move from Melbourne I’m boycotting them. I will not be going to the Logies if they’re outside of Melbourne,” he told co-host Lisa Wilkinson.

2 Likes

You’re funny. :joy: If there was ever a silver lining. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Karl Stefanovic…a TV presenter originally from Queensland and currently works/lives in Sydney is upset about the Logies moving from Melbourne?

4 Likes

Even more devastating news

Queensland Tourism Minister Kate Jones has confirmed the Palaszczuk government will bid to host the Logies on the Gold Coast.

Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate has already said he would support a bid, saying the awards show would be a perfect fit as it was “a tacky industry coming to a tacky city”.

AAP

Front page, headline news in Melbourne. Four short paragraphs at the bottom of page five in the Daily Telegraph. I daresay the networks will be hoping for it to be held in Sydney to save on travel costs but I’m not aware of a venue in old Sydney town clamouring to host it.

I don’t think the few remaining viewers who watch this each year give a rats where it is held. Can’t say I even recognise 90% of the nominees these days.

2 Likes

Suggested on Studio 10 this morning

http://penrith.panthers.com.au/event-centre/rooms/

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has called for Australian TV’s night of nights to be held in Western Sydney or regional NSW after the Victorian Government pulled its funding for the Logies.

Personally, I liked the suggestion (as unlikely as the possibility of this actually happening is) of moving the Logies to Tamworth. That would be the first time TV has been produced there in a couple of years! :smiley:

1 Like

Would the television glitterati of Sydney even know how to get to Penrith? That’s akin to asking them to dine at Hungry Jacks instead of Aria or Rockpool.

6 Likes

If Sydney ever got the Logies, realistically you’d think they’d most likely be hosted somewhere like The Star or Qudos Bank Arena?

at least that will save on the alcohol bill

4 Likes

And guess which one you’re talking about?

This surely signals the end of the Logies…just do away with them.

Well given the name of this site …

I’m sure you were talking about the latest nuclear test on NorthKoreaSpy. org too. :wink:

It did make me laugh a bit this morning when they said it costs upwards of $1mil to host them as in the events and free accommodation to the TV “stars” with free food and alcohol all on their salaries for a show that pretty much give awards to each other. That’s why no one cares about it anymore.

I work in an industry which has awards nights. My employer is expected to buy a certain number of tickets, provide travel if outside of home city, donate prizes and often sponsor an award or two. Why should the television industry get government subsidies?

1 Like

There is also the recently opened International Convention Centre at Darling Harbour, or even Fox Studios.

1 Like

This is a good article in The Age (from one of my favourite TV writers for many years, based overseas, Michael Idato): http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/can-the-orphaned-logies-be-reborn-in-another-city-20170903-gya0nt.html