59th TV Week Logie Awards 2017

Also, TJ Power appeared in Underbelly and the mini series Molly while Adriano Zumbo has been in both Masterchef and Junior Masterchef before his own show.

So how can they be in the running for Best New Talent?

Every year, there seems like there is someone shortlisted in the New Talent category that shouldn’t be there. This year (as mentioned above) is Orpheus Pledger. Having the lead role in both CrashBurn and Silversun (and 37 episodes for Neighbours) should have made him ineligible for the new talent award this year. Do the Logies expect us not to consider children’s drama as a career starter?

On a plus sign - it is good to see Iggy Azalea and Adam Lambert (from The X Factor) up for Best Presenter and Jessica Mauboy (from The Secret Daughter) up for Best Actress rather than for Best New Talent. This follows the whole Joel Madden fiasco from a few years ago. Pop artists are known to us, and shouldn’t be regarded as New Talent, even if it is technically a new role on Australian television.

They really need to sort this out on eligibility. It happens every year. And there are so many other newbies in TV series who are acting/presenting for their first time who could qualify.

Some of those actors in children’s series should very definitely be included in this category. Why were actors from Tomorrow When the War Began listed for considaration, for example, but not the ones from Mako: Island of Secrets?

Different networks… TV Week is only listing names supplied to them. Ten must have used up all their available slots on actors from other dramas. As i said I don’t really understand either why it has to be such a finite list.

Yeah, agreed. If, for example, Ten or ABC happen to have a lot more new talent in the shows they produced last year, there shouldn’t be a limit to the number of names they can put forward. Most of the main actors in The Family Law were newcomers, so as regular cast members they should all have been nominated.

And if an actor has appeared in many other scripted TV series, TV Week should do the research and tell the network that the actor is ineligible. All you have to do is check IMDB and see how many credits an actor may have to their name.

1 Like

I suspect with Bauer cutting back, there probably just isn’t the resources within TV Week to do that level of quality control which is probably why they now put the onus onto the networks.

1 Like

Yeah, TV Week often looks pretty sad these days. I’ve talked about the way they recycle their photos to the point where they’ve used the similar photos of the same actors from the same shoot again and again, in many, many issues. Even worse, they’ve had the exact same cover photo recycled as another cover photo.

They seem to have discovered photo shop now so the change the colours of the outfits or backgrounds now. LOL :laughing:

The other thing they do now is run a story in the magazine from a TV show and often run a review elsewhere in the magazine of the episode which rehashes the same story. On a couple of occasions there has also been a third article about the actors, which again covers the same material padding out the mag.

I don’t understand why you’d keep buying it?

This is the first year I’ve started skipping issues. They still have some good stories about Australian shows that I’m interested in. The Home & Away overload is unbearable.

Right now it’s been four issues in a row with that show on the cover. A joke! I’ve only bought one of those for a couple of other stories I was interested in.

1 Like

TV Week needs Erin Molan on the Cover, She’s Doing The Rounds on both Thursday Night and Sunday Editions of The Footy Show (Rugby League Edition) Reading the Sport on Sydney’s Nine News on Weekends as well as appearances on Today Extra and Wide World of Sports and She Hosted the NRL Rookie. Now for 20 to 1 with Dave Thornton.

Footy Show doesn’t rate and she wouldn’t appeal to the magazine’s readers. However, if she shared the cover with some other hosts/presenters that would work.

2 Likes

I notice Ten has been showing ads at night urging viewers to vote for Neighbours, The Bachelor and The Bachelorette. It must be thinking that these shows have the best chances of getting into the final 4/5 in their categories and eventually winning.

I’ve also seen Ten advertise for us to vote for Neighbours for Best Drama over the last week. Nothing for The Bachelor (ette), but probably am tuning in at different times.

I’ve also seen Nine advertise for us to vote for Doctor Doctor for Best Drama, and also for us to vote for certain cast in the Best Actor, Actress and even New Talent categories.

Sadly, I have seen The NRL Footy Show beg for votes on its Facebook page. Most comments are negative, rightly so. And some have said they’d rather vote for the Sunday Footy Show than the normal Thursday show (I hope they do!). But sadly, a few people have stated they voted for this show. Sigh!

Last year, The Feed had a few sketches/segments about voting for Lee Lin Chin . This year, she’s kept quiet, just focusing on reading the news. I wonder if she’ll be nominated again (for the Gold and/or Best Presenter) with no campaign this year.

Is there a Peter Helliar campaign this time, or any other big campaigns?

2 Likes

@blackbox is promoting pretty hard on Studio 10.

1 Like

If The NRL Footy Show manages to win the Logie for Best Sports Program again next year, I wouldn’t know whether to laugh or cry.

Personally, I doubt that Lee Lin Chin will be nominated for any Logies again in 2017. At the moment, she seems to be mainly focusing on promoting her “Iced Beer and other Tantalising Tips for Life” book.

I just voted. Man they want so many details like DOB. it would put people off voting I reckon.

categories are weird again and I noticed how some of the nominees have like 3 shows under their names, which really says something about the industry.

Was there a best comedy Logie last year? is that category gone or just for peers to vote on?

some actors and presenters appeared in numerous shows this year, hence why they have a few shows under their names. That way, it is less congested for the public voted categories. However, in the industry awards, some actors may be nominated numerous times for their different shows, not once like the public awards.

There was an Outstanding Comedy award last year. Am assuming there is still one this year. Sadly, there is no Best Comedy for us to vote in this year.

the voting for the 2017 Logies finishes up tomorrow night.

Over the last week, I’ve seen a few ads for us to vote for our favourite shows and cast. I’ve seen a few ads for Seven’s Sunrise, Nine’s Scott Cam + The Block and Doctor Doctor + its cast and Ten’s The Project. Will be glad to not see these ads again on Monday onwards.

When do the nominations get announced? Will it be early March?

Yet again a voting system that is deeply flawed - who devises a survey that lists the choices alphabetically rather than randomly for each participant.

First Dates and Seven Year Switch are “factual” program?

1 Like

When do the nominations come out? Should be within the next couple of weeks?

Also, are the Outstanding New Talent awards being announced at the Nomination Announcement Ceremony this time around? This is what happened last year. If so, surely these nominations should have been out by now?