2CH Sydney

It feels like 2CH is still part of Nine Radio.

3 Likes

SEN’s news has been supplied by Nine since 2015 when Pacific Star closed the SEN/3MP newsroom.

Based on what I’ve heard of 1170 today, it sounds identical to the arrangement in Melbourne.

4 Likes

not so happy days

4 Likes

And you’d still be going, what the fuck was that? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Ahh yes…the jingle wasn’t too bad, however that ad (and logo generally) was an absolute shocker. Still can’t believe it - and a few shorter versions - actually aired on television!

There are many, many things wrong with it but #1 is that shot of Bob Rogers with the old (and better) 2CH logo in the background.

2 Likes

Can somebody confirm if all staff and announcers have continued on the new 2CH?

And are they still broadcasting from Pyrmont?

… it seems like the only people 2CH made fully aware about the switch were their clients …

1 Like

With the way the transition to a DAB+ only channel has been handled, it actually wouldn’t overly surprise me if one day we find that the 2CH website, livestream and DAB+ channel have gone offline without any warning.

According to this, 2CH had a staff lunch last Friday for departing colleagues. If that article is to be trusted, Tim Webster is remaining on breakfast but Rob Duckworth & Kayley Harris will no longer be heard on weekends.

No idea about the others although if the 2CH website can be trusted (they’ve still got a spot for Bob Rogers on there, so probably not) Trevor Sinclair & Chris Kearns are still doing weekdays Midday-7pm and weeknights 7pm-1am respectively.

The website still lists the Pyrmont address but again, we’re talking about a website that hasn’t been properly updated/maintained in a while (still got info on it about AM signal changes on July 20 - sad that they only got about two months of it at most before the relaunch).

Someone here probably should attempt to ring them up tomorrow, although I wouldn’t have a clue as to whether it’d be best to go for their main phone number or the listener line.

1 Like

Maybe the web guy was also laid off? Or is too busy at SEN.com.au?

It seems like 2CH is just running as it was as a separate entity to SEN. I wonder what’ll happen once their Pyrmont lease is up.

I have noted (so far) no announcers on air this weekend. Just the standard news bulletin.

1 Like

Is Chris Kearns still there?

Something tells me it’s only Tim Webster and Trevor Sinclair who remain at the station.

I highly doubt there are any admin staff remaining.

EDIT: Their website still lists Chris Kearns on weeknights.

3 announcers Mon-Fri and that’s it.

I heard Chris on Friday night, you can still phone in your requests.

1 Like

I Do Not Know if Chris’s show is actually live since the the requests are done on 2ch’s feedback line 1300 14 1170

2 Likes

Will tonight be the first time in many, many years that 2CH has not broadcast a Sunday night openline program?

I have noticed that there’s still a section on the 2CH website for Aaron Wright, but this really doesn’t mean much when Bob Rogers still has his page there despite retiring recently!

1 Like

Back when Hutchy first announced the takeover in July? I had a look at the 2CH playlist and saw Chris Kearns Voicetracks from 7pm-1am. I doubt that would’ve changed since then.

2 Likes

… so it has been a while since it has actually been Tonight “Live” …

3 Likes

I’ve taken one for the team while most others are watching the football and can confirm that 2CH is currently airing music. Must be the first time in decades the station hasn’t run their very Christian conservative Sunday night openline program!

Pretty sad that all 2CH talk breaks seem to be pre-recorded these days as well. As much as I hope this doesn’t happen, it wouldn’t overly surprise me if the three remaining on-air presenters go on a Christmas break they don’t return from.

3 Likes

At the start of the year he was live until 10 and then voicetracked after 10 - but I suspect that could have changed now and he’s entirely voicetracked

3 Likes

I’m surprised the Council of Churches agreed to it - I thought they still had some sort of hold over the station, especially Sunday programming (at one point weren’t there certain things that the station couldn’t advertise on a Sunday?)

Sadly I agree with your conclusion that there may well be 3 presenters looking for new stations in January. 2CH is clearly being run down to become a totally automated presenter-less station. Whether that happens in January or slightly later is probably the only point for discussion - maybe depends as much as anything on when contracts are up for renewal

3 Likes

I think we should celebrating the demise of this bizarre anachronism of having some ridiculous religious programming shoved into a mainstream secular radio station. Especially these type of evangelical bible bashers who preach the complete opposite of what their alleged god would say.

7 Likes

While I’m not unhappy to see the demise of the religious programming on 2CH, I don’t think it’s ever really been a “secular” station - the NSW Council of Churches influence has been there right from the beginning.

2 Likes