2CH Sydney

Whether he wants to do sport again only he knows, I guess. His time at Talking Lifestyle and Macquarie Sports Radio were a waste of his talent.

3 Likes

This is a perfect indication to go in the online listening discussion, we’ve all had over time.

I know some of you keep saying online listening is the biggest thing, & is/will kill AM/FM listening.

I’ve said previously that no, it’s actually quite small & insignificant, & this actually proves it.

2GB can have just under 4100 listeners at the same time, the SCA, ARN & Nova metro stations would have the likely capacity for around the 5000-7000 concurrent listeners, 10,000 at extreme max, the regional stations would have around the same as 2CH, but probably less than 1000 concurrent listeners online.
Online listening of any station would at absolute best be, 10% of that who are listening at the same time on AM or FM. so if you have absoulute maximum 1000 listeners online at any one time, you likely have another 10,000 plus listening on air via AM/FM, it’s more likely to be in the general area of 1-2% of total listeners at any one time listening online over the on air AM/FM broadcast.

Also Spotify for example, has around 138 million premium subscribers worldwide, but then that doesn’t mean everyone is listening at the same time, & in the grand scheme of things there’s more than double that population in the USA alone, so they have a small percentage of total worldwide music listeners.

Broadcast TV may well transition to being fully online over the next 10-15 years, But I’m sure broadcast radio over the air will still be the predominant way of listening in 25 years plus.

Back to 2CH, I can’t see 2CH being on DAB+ at this time next year in any real capacity, even with just automated music, with no voice tracked or live presenters, unless SEN can get a lot of revenue out of their SEN stations to cover costs. 2CH only has a small listenership base over both AM, DAB+ & online now, so when they go DAB+ & online only, that’s going to become a micro audience.

4 Likes

You’re kidding yourself if you think that. Happy to wager a significant amount you’re wrong.

But hey you work for a broadcast transmission company so of course you’re going to say that

Yeah, the radio industry is likely to be facing similar problems to TV in the future. It’s not a case of if, but when a majority of people will have access to streaming radio services in their cars.

RFBurns’ commentary about 2CH unlikely to still be on DAB+ at this time next year in any real capacity (even just with automated music) is something I agree with, but I think very few media observers would disagree that the inevitable death of 2CH will be accelerated by becoming a DAB+/online only station. The 3%-ish figures 1170AM has received in recent surveys are likely to become less than 0.1% as the current format disappears from analogue radio, I think.

1 Like

There has been silence from the NSW Council of Churches, so we don’t know what the status of the agreement between 2CH and themselves is now.

5 Likes

What makes you think I’m wrong, we’re currently installing & planning over the air radio broadcast infrastructure with an expected 15 year life, then we’re expecting it to go around again (radio more so than TV).

Broadcast over the air radio has been around for over 100 years now, & the amount of things that were going to kill it over the decades, even back from the 1950’s-60’s are countless, but none have done so yet. Motion pictures were going to kill radio way back in the 1940’s, then TV was going to kill it back in the 1950’s.

Web streaming has been around for at least 20 years now, & while popular, it’s not by any means taking over the world.

While the telcos are currently spectrum hungry, there’s not much more available for them to have/take, so within the next 5-10 years, the wireless spectrum is going to reach capacity, & unless the data hungry usage we’re all wanting gets a much better compression rate, the bandwidth capacity & speed, is going to become a crawl.

Even wired spectrum will reach capacity in the next 20-25 years, as there’s a physical limit to the bandwidth you can pass over fibre using light waves, & copper network cables (LAN) are already nearing bandwidth limits, & while we all might have cabled connections to home, that have by todays standards insane speeds, the network backbones will be at a crawl.

It doesn’t matter how you want to look at it, in the next 25 years, the human race no matter how hard they try, aren’t going to be able to break the laws of physics, of which the electromagnetic spectrum operates.

MW (AM) frequencies & VHF Band’s 1 & 2, are useless for high speed data as the bandwidths aren’t big enough for any sort of transfer capacity, so they will never be used for much more than Radio, be it in Analogue AM/FM or digital DAB+, HDRadio or DRM/DRM+ format.

In 25 years time everyone won’t be watching TV/Video, Movies, etc. or listening to music online even if it is IP Broadcast, there’s too much other data hungry applications vying for limited bandwidth, & there’s a limit to digital compression too, it’s almost reached it’s peak efficiency where you just can’t compress it any further without losing too much critical data information that can’t be recreated at the other end, so if you want to start streaming everything with 8k, 12k & beyond video over the next 25 years, you’re going to reach the spectrum bandwidth capacity pretty fast.

The Electromagnetic Spectrum of this Universe isn’t infinite, but the current rate at which we are wanting to use it, seems to think it is.

5 Likes

I don’t think, I know. Unfortunately you live in an industry bubble and despite what your industry is doing it’s completely removed from reality. Walk into a JB Hi-Fi, ask non-industry friends/ neighbours etc. people just aren’t buying AM/FM radios to listen to terrestrial radio broadcasting, it’s as simple as that.

Granted car use will continue for years to come but as numerous commenters have mentioned numerous times in these very forums the young generation of today just aren’t listening to terrestrial radio broadcasts. I’m gen X and I can only think of one mate that regularly listens to a terrestrial radio broadcast (FM).

The rest of your argument just smacks of a broadcast transmission industry press release and the notion that wired internet will run out of bandwidth one day is absurd.

2 Likes

Guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree on that then, but I think you’re living in a fantasy.

I was in JB Hifi last weekend, funnily enough looking for a new AM/FM radio, & guess what they stock quite a number of them, but the shelves were almost empty for some models, & fully stocked for others, unfortunately the one I wanted was sold out.
Big W, etc. are the same, plenty of AM/FM, FM/DAB radios on the shelves, if they didn’t sell, they wouldn’t stock them, especially in these poor economic times, they can’t afford to have stocks of items that don’t sell.

So someone’s gotta be buying & listening to them?

My nephew’s 12 & while he doesn’t listen to the radio at home, or do much else but play games on xbox/watch movies on Netflix, etc. if he’s in the car, terrestrial radio has to be on.

1 Like

Myself and the majority it seems :wink:

“The world will eventually run out of bandwidth” is one of the strangest takes I have ever seen. I see absolutely zero chance of the wired networks ‘running out of bandwidth’. When they run out of backbone…you just lay more backbone.

With 5G, wireless should be fine for years to come as well. That’s the main reason they’re rolling it out - to increase the number of users who can use the spectrum at the same time.

Radio will remain around forever, but I expect it to dwindle over the years. It is only hanging on by a thread because of in-car use. That is the ONLY time that I, a media buff who has been known to buy expensive mantle radios and ending up never listening to them, will listen to the radio. No one I know around my age listens to the radio.

It’s Father’s Day this weekend, so I think using the ‘shelf stock level’ as an anecdotal piece of evidence here is a bit disingenuous. People are going to be people buying Dad a radio which they might never listen to. Big W, Target and Harvey Norman also still stock and sell gramophones and cassette players - does that really mean that most people will predominantely listen to cassettes and vinyl records? Obviously not.

Commercial radio will continue on for a long, long time, but I see no chance that they’ll gain any importance or influence in the future without something groundbreaking.

3 Likes

This is getting way off topic, so will be my last comment on it, but sorry guys, the world doesn’t work that way, yes when a cable reaches its data carrying capacity, the only way to increase it, is to install more parallel circuits.
It will get to the point, where the cost to manufacture, install, operate & maintain that extra capacity is so large, & surpasses the benefit consumers are willing to pay for, & it won’t get done, the communications companies aren’t going to install all this bandwidth for free, just because you want it & at next to no cost.

If it was that simple & cheap, there wouldn’t be one person on the planet today, complaining about their internet speeds.

As for 5G, wait till everyone starts using it, it’ll slow down fast, just like 3G & 4G have.
4G’s what about 10 years old, it was fast at the start too, the way the world is increasing it’s data generation & usage, 5G will slow down well within the next 10 years, & you’ll be complaining & looking for more. If you believe otherwise, you’re going to be bitterly disappointed in a few years.

2 Likes

Even 2CH is Promoting SEN Track

1 Like

Sorry but this is more completely absurd BS. The telcos are installing more and more telecommunications infrastructure (submarine cables, 5G etc.) because consumers are prepared to pay for it and already are. It’s clearly making money for them.

Nor is the world embracing AM/FM radio. Go figure.

We’ll see :wink:

1 Like

Notice 2CH have ads where if you go to the shop and mention SEN you get a discount.

3 Likes

Well 2CH ends this coming Saturday (got my dates mixed up thought it was Monday? ). It will be interesting if the lineup will remain as is on Monday. Time will tell.

Edit… 19th of Oct not 19th of Sept. :slight_smile:

I guess 2CH would go off 1170 on Friday night and have a recorded message to direct listeners to tune into DAB or the app? Until the launch on Monday morning. Like when 2WS did when it switched off 1224 AM?

1 Like

Unless I’m reading Vossy’s tweet competely wrong, his show with Katie Brown on SEN Sydney will be launching on Monday October 19.

Besides, I would’ve thought 2CH would stay on AM until at least the October long weekend when they’ll run their “Top 100 Classic Albums of All Time” countdown!

My bad yes not, September 19th… I read it wrong.

1 Like

Does anyone reckon 2CH could pick up a percentage point in the next survey if the post-Alan 2GB audience is a little restless and looks elsewhere for entertainment?

If would be weird if 2CH had a great survey and then went off the air on AM.

3 Likes

Yes and it wouldn’t surprise me. In my opinion it is a winning format and if 2UE picks it up and promotes it the listening audience will grow dramatically.

4 Likes

Bob Rogers has announced his retirement, with his last show airing this Saturday.
https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/classic-hits-2ch-legend-bob-rogers-announces-his-retirement

5 Likes