2CH Sydney

Yes and I can see 2ue having this advantage if they used the Nine media empire advantage to push this station. The music is fine it just needs more people to be aware and a couple of live announcers. I think i98 FM did well because they are/were own by WIN and could really leverage this advantage with ads on TV etc. Of course this is not the only reason but it helps.

2CH could of been there too.

2 Likes

1170 SEN brings TWO amazing opportunities.

One for 2SM to bounce back.

Another for 2UE to bounce back.

A shame that neither will likely eventuate.

8 Likes

You must be joking all this man does is destroy good radio stations. I don’t however include 2CH as one of those!

1 Like

2CH might not be one of the greatest radio stations of all time, but it’s still one of our stations and which after nearly nine decades of history, will be sad to see (or more to the point, hear) reduced to a second or third tier digital-only offering.

5 Likes

That was SEN mk1 and it went under, SEN mk2 very quickly acquired AFL rights and the rest is history.

1 Like

I assume no, but I am just curious on religious content on 2ch, will this be on digital? So many unknowns still. Also the DAB radio spectrum is going to be extremely cramped with these plans SEN has.

I assume SEN will go hard on the NRL rights to broadcast all games when the next round of rights surface.

Whilst not good for the staff who worked at these stations, all the changes 2ch and 2ue have endured (the former and current poor sibling of 2gb) have meant we have a very active thread or two for the past couple of years. It has been captivating reading all the posts and will continue to be as this all unravels maybe in the months or years to come.

3 Likes

Remember that once the current “talent pool” is turned over, there’s nothing viable about GB either, it will have lost its impact.

As much as I dislike him, Alan Jones attracted the rusted on, older audience in numbers that others may find difficult to replicate for a younger 35/45+ talk format.

If I was Nine, I’d ditch the AM assets when SCA is a suitable price/available from receivers but hold on to 3AW with 3MMM put onto DAB+ and the FM sold for a different format. It’s the only sustainable talk station they have with a decent profit and foresight to maintain success when replacing talents as they retire. 5AA the only other and not owned by Nine.

Talk radio isn’t in good shape in Aus.

I find ARN operate KQ and Cruise very much as poor cousins, smell of an oily rag, minimal external marketing.

4 Likes

I agree. 4KQ is run on the smell of an oily rag and it’s a credit to them it still rates to well.

1 Like

Yes I believe they have kept the format consistent and I think also to some extent lack of competition on the FM Band.

1 Like

Yes the lack of competition on FM is a factor for sure. The format has been so consistent also since the early 90s.

2 Likes

What PSN/SEN should do is rename 2ch to Classic Hits Radio and broadcast it into Melbourne replacing SEN2

5 Likes

Is 3ch registered? I think it might have been there for chinese radio. That would work. But I believe you need at least 64k to be decent sound.

Looks 2CH should be on air until the October weekend on 1170 (in theory).

Interesting Trevor Sinclair said the following on Facebook The final question, the most critical, has remained unanswered. We probably all know what the answer is there. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I doubt anyone at 2CH reads this thread, but if by some miracle they are I’ve got a suggestion for them: With 2CH soon to become a digital-only station, this long weekend countdown would be a great opportunity to promote the switch and celebrate 2CH’s history in the process. Even just something similar to those “Classic Aussie TV” sweepers sometimes played between songs that feature snippets of old commercials, except with old 2CH jingles would be great!

Realistically, I think we should still be hearing 2CH on 1170AM for the duration of the current ratings survey period - with results of Survey #6 (actually 3rd for the year) released on September 29.

Beyond that, you’d have to imagine that SEN would be aiming to be on-air before the NRL Grand Final on October 25 if they’ve got any rights to broadcast coverage in Sydney?

2 Likes

2CH have an ad now on the topic of “moving soon” to DAB+. I will try to record it.

2 Likes

PSN should transform 2CH to a announcless Classic Hits station in Sydney and Melbourne. DAB+

For Melbourne they should use the combined bandwidth of SEN 2 and 3 for it. ATM the bandwidth is going to waste

Call it Classic Hits Radio Digital

2 Likes

Have a listen

2 Likes

“We’re not going away”

How long do we think that promise will last? Personally I’d be surprised if there were still announcers on 2CH in 2021. I’d also be incredibly shocked if 2CH on Digital Radio was even still a thing by the time of the station’s 90th birthday in March 2022.

“You’ll love our sound on Digital Radio”

We LOVED the sound of 2CH on digital radio before the recent multiplex change even better! :wink:

5 Likes

Not really “moving to DAB+” as 2CH is already there!

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s also true. It’s not as if 2CH hasn’t been available via DAB+ in Sydney for 11 years…and probably even longer via the trials of standard DAB in Sydney during the 2000s (not that I ever got to listen to these), which I’m pretty sure included a 2CH programming stream!

1 Like