2CH Sydney

Judging by what I heard on Monday, they’ve been heavily promoting the station as being on “1170 and in stereo on DAB” at just about every available opportunity including a number of promos specifically promoting the DAB+ service.

2 Likes

I think Cherie is being careful not to “chuck a MML” and lose their existing 2CH listeners. Too much change and it could be a bad thing. Hence, why I can see they’ve kept Bob Rogers to a Saturday night.

I’d expect more very gradual changes over the coming months from CH-erie & Co.

Hopefully EON has the patience and continues the investment in the station.

… if it were owned by SCA or MML there would’ve already been 7 breakfast show changes and 9 format changes …

Well done EON and 2CH. I can sense a lot of ex-2UE listeners will be switching to Chris Kearns and Tim Webster. A move that 2SM has failed to build upon.

Webster’s most entertaining segment on 2UE was music with Glenn A Baker. Remnants still exists on the internet.
Edit: Forget that, I just realised the links do not work

https://player.fm/series/iconic-songs-with-glenn-a-baker

Overtime they might add segments like that in. Tim is a good broadcaster, I’m way outside their demo but he is engaging.

1 Like

Agree. They would be silly to limit Tim to only doing 40-60 second music talk breaks.

I can see 2CH becoming what 2UE should’ve become post MML merger… that is, a hybrid tall & music station. Like vega, only a more focused music positioner.

2 Likes

However, good on Glenn and John for putting their own money where their mouths are and convincing OCP to stump up the lion’s share of a huge investment in 2CH. It’s great to see such an increase of investment in a long neglected licence.

2 Likes

Thats actually not accurate.

You don’t thinking hiring a new schedule of on air staff, Cherie and others in the office isn’t a big investment?

wrong inaccuracy… I will narrow it down for you

More Church Themed Programming On Sunday’s Please?

2CH could simulcast “Spotlight” or “Don’t Tell” in DAB+ on a Sunday night.

2 Likes

Yet they still Play Classic Country Songs, The Last Major Metro Commercial Station in Australia to do so.

Don’t Tell - is that hosted by George Pell?

2 Likes

Gearge was a special guest star.

Sort of like Heather Locklear on Melrose Place.

1 Like

The religious programming at 2CH isn’t going anywhere soon - they’re advertising for a “Religious Producer” (or should that be a religious producer?)
http://radiotoday.com.au/job/religious-producer/

2 Likes

Rather unfortunate really. I am trying hard to listen to 2CH but really struggle with all the frivolous talkback in the evenings and don’t listen before 9 on a Sunday morning or after 6 on Sunday nights.

3 Likes

Yeah the religious stuff would turn me off as well. I don’t really get it either. How come 2CH is stuck with this licence condition?

Surely it’s the only commercial radio station in the country with this kind of format restriction?

4 Likes

Didn’t 2CH used to be owned by the NSW Council of Churches, hence the callsign? I guess it’s a legacy thing from when they originally sold off the station many years ago.

1 Like

Well 2sm I think was run by the Catholic Church. They have moved on. Maybe they get funds from the churches to maintain their shows.

4 Likes

Yes but 2SM used to be owned by the Catholic Church, and the “K” stations (KQ, KA and KY) we’re once owned by the Labor party. It’s still highly unusual - or rather unique - that conditions would be attached to a format once sold. I don’t think there’s another example of this in Australia?

2 Likes