2CH Sydney

2CH have Ditched the Easy Classics name and gone far Classic Hits of the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s.

5 Likes

Interesting that 2CH is now using the same positioner that WS had abandoned nearly 5 years ago in favour of the “Pure Gold” branding. ARN still uses the “Classic Hits” positioner for 4KQ in Brisbane & Cruise in Adelaide.

4 Likes

I dont think in recent history wsfm played 60s, 70s, 80s music even it used the classic hits format jingle, I think that was the best songs of all time format. Not all classic hits formats are the same.

With different personnel and audience targets, no two formats can ever be the same.

2 Likes

Agree. I think 2ch will evolve to become more like 2ca. Grannie has not complained yet. She did with magic though. :blush:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Narrowcast and AM Narrowband Radio

I know this has been said before but with the move to a broader “Classic Hits” format, hopefully 2CH will eventually introduce into their schedule the type of upbeat Saturday night music program (heck, perhaps even try and get Pete Graham to present it if he’s available) the Sydney market has been missing since the Easter 2018 demise of “Saturday Night Live” on 954AM.

The recently retired (at least from his weekday morning program) Bob Rogers is a Sydney radio legend and has enjoyed a media career which is obviously to be respected, but I really hope that incredibly outdated “Reminiscing” program is retired soon if it isn’t already!

I agree, though he did work at 2ch before and left for some reason to join 2ue.

Listening at the moment and it is still saying Easy Classics 2CH

Surely they could do Bob’s show 7-9pm and Pete Graham 9-midnight Saturdays?

Put Bob on Midday-1:00pm, and give Pete Graham 6:00pm-Midnight - that’s if he wants a job.

2 Likes

It’s a wonder why ARN don’t do a decent Saturday Night “Live” ie a music special each Saturday not just wall to wall music.

Why ? Would you listen ? Imagine Jonno Coleman or Richard Wilkins hosting… All that entertainment goss… interviews… etc… they would need to be live…plus get listeners to call in and request their songs…maybe ARN could poach Melissa Doyle… Nice to be with you tonight …

Richard Wilkins has a good voice for radio although I have only ever heard him on smooth - so I have never heard him live. Richard also has the same hairstyle as my neighbour. My neighbour is 23 years old.

1 Like

When he first came to Sydney he was heard on 2UW (I think), Is he the same guy that is in the Geeks 2U commercial, or is it just my imagination.

1 Like

The 2CH App is Good

1 Like

Why @TheStyles83? Tell us what you think puts it in front.

2CH’s Indira featured as a grab in ABC TV news’ package on declassified cabinet documents from 96/7. Her grab was in relation to the Port Arthur massacre.

1 Like

Most likely because Indira Naidoo was at the ABC back in 1996 and presented a 7pm bulletin that night and/or some of the coverage?

With most of the other stations on Sydney AM radio focusing on news and/or sports to some degree, I think it’d be in the best interests for 2CH to retain either a music format (while retaining a point of difference from all FM stations) or a hybrid music/lifestyle format which is less advertorial and more focused on life in Sydney.

Better yet would be the phasing out of all religious/NSW Council of Churches content and/or 2CH eventually re-gaining an independent newsroom (post-2UE closure and Nine/Fairfax merger, it’d be a great thing for commercial media diversity in Sydney), but unfortunately neither is likely to happen now or at anytime in the foreseeable future.

3 Likes

Correct, it was a good snapshot of her versatile career.

Agree, retain but target the right audience.

News room can follow once profitability returns.

1 Like

With recent surveys suggesting that an increasing majority of 2CH’s audience is 65 and over, they’ve probably got to start thinking about more ideas which can get the current 55-64 and even 40-55 demographics listening to the station.

They’ve been moving in the right direction as far as on-air talent has been concerned but I think 2CH airing more classic hits (especially those the FM stations won’t touch these days) would be even better, even if that means playing tracks which aren’t strictly in the station’s traditional “Easy Listening” format.

Yeah, fair enough.

To the list of things that should be left until profitability returns to 2CH (and this is one I would say shouldn’t even be thought about until/unless a newsroom is re-established) is the idea of additional DAB+ only stations, as hinted at when Cherie Romano was appointed as General Manager back in September.