2024 Tasmanian State Election - Media Coverage

Looks like Guy Stayner and Sabra Lane will again host ABC’s election coverage live from the Hobart tally room

ABC main channel converge Saturday 23 March

5:30pm ABC News: Tasmania Votes
A special 5.30 edition of ABC News in the final countdown before polls close in the Tasmanian state election. The day’s top stories and latest news plus live crosses and previews ahead of Tasmania Votes special coverage.

6:00pm Tasmania Votes: Election Night Live
Jeremy Rockliff called an early election against Labor’s Rebecca White, trying to form majority government. The House of Assembly will expand from 25 to 35 seats. Tasmania currently has Australia’s only Liberal government.

7:30pm Tasmania Votes: Election Results Live
Election night coverage you can trust. Sabra Lane and Guy Stayner are joined by ABC Chief Elections Analyst Antony Green to bring you the trends, swings and results as they come in after Tasmanians vote in an early election.

9:00pm Tasmania Votes: The Leaders Speak
After the votes are counted, we will hear speeches from Liberal Leader Jeremy Rockliff and Labor Leader Rebecca White. Sabra Lane and Guy Stayner are joined by Antony Green for the latest results and analysis.

10pm coverage concludes.

Coverage is simulcast on ABC News around the country.

2 Likes

Surprised that Guy Stanyer is back this election. Not that there was anything wrong with him last time, but I would of thought that they were trying to make David Speers the new Kerry O’Brien (hosting all elections on ABC) with him hosting both the VIC and NSW elections, as well as federal by-elections coverage.

Either way, Sabra Lane is an excellent presenter.

Also any word on any radio coverage, or will they just simulcast the TV coverage on digital radio, and have a local presenter provide updates during the AFL.

Kerry didn’t usually do Tas, as until last time it was same night as SA’s Elections.

Yep, same with Antony doing TAS instead of SA (Usually SA had Professor Dean Jaensch doing the analysis).
However, would of thought that since it isn’t of the same night now, Speers would be doing it.

2 Likes

Maybe just keeping him on NSW/Vic… don’t think he’s done any others?

1 Like

To be fair they only started using him since the 2022 federal election, and he’s been used on all elections (including federal by-elections) since then.

I do like the idea of them having the local anchor hosting, so I guess in Tas’s case that’s Guy so maybe they want the gender balance.

1 Like

Fair enough.

Based on past elections, I think ABC Local Radio in Tasmania will have election coverage at 6pm sharp, breaking away from AFL match between Hawthorn and Melbourne.

Previously they’ve done that, however last election they had the TV coverage on digital radio, with the AFL continuing of analogue radio, with regular updates from one of the local radio presenters.

Any word on Southern Cross and Win?

And radio coverage?

No word on Southern Cross, WIN or ABC Radio.

Last election Southern Cross did short updates from the tally room during the quarter and third-quarter breaks, and had a short bulletin during half-time, followed by rolling coverage after the final siren.

WIN may do updates during the day like they have done for some state elections, but will probably wait until Wollongong get’s the results via carieer pigion on Monday :laughing:

In 2018, ABC Radio Hobart did do a more comedic state election coverage from the tally room, however, in 2021 they simulcasted the TV coverage on digital radio, and had the footy on analogue, with one of the local radio presenters giving regular updates.

There will be a special edition of AM with Sabra Lane on Sunday morning at 8am on ABC Local Radio.

Online guide for ABC Hobart currently lists normal Saturday programming, although the Brisbane guide didn’t have the local election coverage listed either, so it may be wrong.

7 Tasmania has a special bulletin at 10:30pm after the AFL, I presume they will also have updates during the QT, Half Time, and 3QT breaks.

No coverage listed on WIN.

2 Likes

ABC Hobart’s election coverage this week

3 Likes

ABC Hobart and Northern Tasmania will have election coverage from 7:30pm, following the Hawks V Melbourne match. David Riley will present.

Also the Tally Room will be returning this weekend!

The Tasmanian Electoral Commission will once again be hosting a tally room on polling night, in the Federation Ballroom at the Hotel Grand Chancellor, in Hobart. This event will be open to the public, further details will be available in the coming weeks.

3 Likes

7 Likes
1 Like

Tonight’s extended edition of ABC News Tasmania included a live cross to Antony Green and Guy Stayner in the tally room. There will be seven people at the main desk (including Guy and Sabra Lane), and Selina Ross will be at the big board.

Also is anyone going to be capping the ABC coverage? I can try and get some pics, however, they may not be the best.

1 Like

Was great to see the explanation and demonstration on 7 Tas about our Hare Clark system which does take a lot to get your head around so using the Peter Gutwein/Bass example was great.

Just watching Weekend Breakfast on ABC and Michael Rowland is doing a live cross from Launceston so I assume he will be involved in coverage somewhere tonight.

Kim Millar was pushing the Channel 7 coverage where they will have the normal bulletin with Michael Maney and then Michael will present extended updates live from the tally room throughout the AFL broadcast. I can’t remember if she said there was going to be a big final wrap afterwards or not. Although, possibly unlikely because of the number of counts required and how it all works an accurate result won’t be known for a couple of weeks. If there’s any chance of a majority from either party it’s still unlikely to be close enough for calling tonight.

2 Likes