2024 Tasmanian State Election - Media Coverage

Was great to see the explanation and demonstration on 7 Tas about our Hare Clark system which does take a lot to get your head around so using the Peter Gutwein/Bass example was great.

Just watching Weekend Breakfast on ABC and Michael Rowland is doing a live cross from Launceston so I assume he will be involved in coverage somewhere tonight.

Kim Millar was pushing the Channel 7 coverage where they will have the normal bulletin with Michael Maney and then Michael will present extended updates live from the tally room throughout the AFL broadcast. I can’t remember if she said there was going to be a big final wrap afterwards or not. Although, possibly unlikely because of the number of counts required and how it all works an accurate result won’t be known for a couple of weeks. If there’s any chance of a majority from either party it’s still unlikely to be close enough for calling tonight.

2 Likes

There is a 30 minute bulletin after the AFL (possibly it might be extended to cover speeches, etc). Saw it on the guide on the SCA website

2 Likes

Cool - have been without FTA TV for the last month due to renos at home and have only had the YouTube bulletins to keep up. Has been a very quiet election period, haven’t seen any ads because of that.

2 Likes

Very lucky. Although I wouldn’t imagine it would be as bad if Clive Palmer was somehow involved in the election, and you saw his ad’s twice in every ad break.

2 Likes

Sky News will also have election coverage from 6pm until 10:30pm, presented by Kieran Gilbert.

1 Like

Getting some vibes…

2 Likes

Hopefully Southern Cross will have better election lower-thirds than Seven has used in previous elections.

Possibly a stupid question, but with the Russia terrorist attack and then Princess Kate bombshell, are there any changes or potentially for this evening and/or tomorrow? Let alone Tas election and normal network programs. @TV.Cynic

I recall Seven especially and Nine at least during COVID as well as anything major with the Royals (like recent royal funerals and coronation) do special Saturday 7pm bulletins or rolling coverages in day time, sometimes into prime time.

1 Like

Seven has AFL, so I imagine that any special coverage would be limited to NSW/QLD, or AFL can be shifted to 7Mate (highly unlikely).

If Seven did have special coverage, 7 Tas could split away during breaks and do election updates, plus their special at 10:30pm.

ABC isn’t overly invested in the royal circus as the commercials (apart from the Queen’s death), so I imagine that there would be coverage in bulletins on the NC and the 7pm news.

2 Likes

3 Likes

5.30pm News

3 Likes

"Welcome to the last remaining tally room in Australia "

4 Likes

Now the question everyone will be asking for the next few hours

5 Likes

5 Likes

5 Likes

7 Tasmania being live captioned by Red Bee Media tonight, according to the captions at the start of the bulletin.

Usually manually captioned in-house.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Antony Green just mentioned that the construction of the ABC set only started yesterday.

Also apparently construction on the 1996 set (either Tasmania or Federal, didn’t catch the name) started on midnight of the polling day after a male stripper show.

1 Like

Josh Duggan also did a live cross from the tally room to Seven News Melbourne this evening, chatting with Mike Amor.

2 Likes

You won’t see any pictures or footage from inside the Liberal or Labor functions tonight. They’ve both blocked the media from their events.

It means you won’t hear from lots of MPs and volunteers until the major parties give their speeches much later on tonight.

3 Likes