2022 Birmingham Commonwealth Games Coverage

Yeah but she’s not really that great of a batter in this T20 team. She needs time to get going, and recently hasn’t had the strike-rate to come in in the last 5 overs to finish the innings, and isn’t good enough to open or bat 3. Dare I say if Motty hadn’t left, she might not have been on the plane.

1 Like

Our heroes return to bring home the gold! :1st_place_medal:

Don’t miss the legendary Commonwealth Games on Channel 7 and 7Plus

9 Likes

Cant wait

1 Like

Not sure whether it’s merely an oversight or something else but it’s puzzling that none of the Australian women’s cricket players feature in that promo considering they’ll be the favourites to win Gold in the T20 competition.

3 Likes

Probably a complication over the sponsorship/branding/or apparel of Cricket Australia v Commonwealth Games maybe?

Or possibly image rights?

Vague I know, but there’s been a couple of instances where professional sports with different apparel and player contracts have run into difficulty coming into a CGs/Olympics given the rules those fall under.

1 Like

That would make sense, but they could use the white T-shirt clips they have from their cricket coverage, couldn’t they?

But 7 is the women’s cricket host broadcaster as well.

Potentially…hard to speak in specifics.

There’s something funny that goes on with Comm Games/Olympics because essentially they are representing Australia’s Olympic Committee/Comm Games twam instead of Cricket Australia so some of those things don’t apply if I recall rightly, so player contracts fall outside that I think.

2 Likes

Do we think we’ll see ‘the usual’ cricket crew doing the Aussie matches?

1 Like

That YouTube promo was deleted ahead of tonight’s official launch during The Voice grand final.

4 Likes

Higher, further, faster, stronger

Our Aussie sporting heroes return to bring home the Gold

Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games 28 July to 8 August

Live and free on Channel 7, 7mate and 7plus

The only place to see it all!

Get ready for a Commonwealth Games like no other – 28 July to 8 August on Channel 7, 7mate and 7plus.

In 60 days, the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games will bring together over 4,500 athletes – more than 400 of those Australian – from 72 nations, with the largest-ever integrated para-sport program, as well as a record number of mixed events.

As the Aussies chase down their previous record medal tally of 87, Seven will be there to bring you all the heart-stopping action, golden moments, superhuman achievement, triumph and tragedy, live and free across 7, 7mate and up to 30 live and replay channels on 7plus.

With live medal moments every day in prime time, it will be Australia’s second-biggest broadcast and digital event following Seven’s award-winning coverage of the Olympic Games Tokyo

6 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/7commgames

7 have an official 7CommGames Twitter account which hasn’t been updated to reflect Birmingham 2022

3 Likes

Very little Birmingham promotion. Just basic Commonwealth Games 2022

4 Likes

God, Australia still really go for this don’t they. So little buzz here in the UK about it despite it being in Birmingham. I’m sure that’ll lift closer to the time - literally the day it starts I imagine. Even the BBC won’t care too much about it until after Wimbledon.

2 Likes

I doubt there’s much buzz in Australia either.

2 Likes

I’d say generally the buzz here in Australia is next to non-existent as well. A ‘home’ games generates a bit of interest here like in 2018, but it’s tough to cut through otherwise.

Personally I think the Commonwealth Games should’ve been put out of their misery a long time ago.

4 Likes

I don’t recall 2018 being all that massive. Melbourne 2006 felt really massive though.

It’s pretty pointless at this point. But it makes the Brits feel like they still have some sort of Empire so we linger on with it.

5 Likes

That came just 5.5 years since the Sydney Olympics, plus it also indirectly marked half a century since Melbourne hosted the 1956 Olympics, which until then was the city’s biggest world sporting event.

I would like to think that Melbourne 2006 was massive because of the much-improved infrastructure, such as Docklands Stadium and Melbourne Park which were both not around in ‘56. It also put the city on the world sporting map.

4 Likes

Was a pretty big deal here in Queensland.

2 Likes

And not much of a big deal when Melbourne hosted it in 2006

Off-topic just for a bit, but here is how Seven covered the Manchester Commonwealth Games in 2002 (note: I did post this in the “Random TV History” thread a while ago but the video in that post was since taken down - someone has managed to re-upload it).

4 Likes