2022 Birmingham Commonwealth Games Coverage

They’re in the box seat I think.

I thinking about this too.

1 Like

Lisa Sthalekar just mentioned Winter Olympics then the Commonwealth Games. Maybe the games will be on Seven?

5 Likes

A possibility. The last Commonwealth Games in England was shown on 7 in 2002

1 Like

I wouldn’t read much into it. Otherwise they would have said Comm Games as well in Birmingham on 7.

5 Likes

Surely, it will be announced at a network’s upfronts presentation. 10 could bid for it.

Or Nine? It hasn’t shown Comm Games since the highly rating broadcast of Melbourne 2006.

3 Likes

It will be 9 or 10, with the most of their coverage on their streaming service.

1 Like

Why do you think Seven wouldn’t be in the running?

I’m not saying they aren’t, I’m just saying it wouldn’t be wise for them to.

why would it be wise for 10 and Nine then?

1 Like

They can monetise it better with their streaming services. And given the bad time zone, I doubt it will get many viewers. It is the Commonwealth Games after all.

UK time to Sydney time

Basically none of it will be in prime-time, so probably would only get one channel coverage (like, say Wimbledon this year) with the majority of the coverage on streaming.

1 Like

I am sure there can still be strong viewing. Could be almost ideal to what 10 did in 2014 with Glasgow? 2 channels then streaming?

I can see Nine or 10 going for it. Both will want it for their streaming services. (Stan and Paramount)

Seven don’t have the funds I reckon or the ability to monetise it to a worth while figure.

1 Like

Exactly. If it was in a better time zone maybe, but in this case it’s not.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if Australian broadcasters pay close to the most for rights. They could have quite a bit of sway and ask for some key events in the morning sessions so it hits our primetime

Maybe ABC will get it because you don’t have to put up with ads

1 Like

Channel 10’s coverage in Glasgow 2014 only had one channel and streaming but we had encores during the day

1 Like

Didn’t they have 10 and One?

1 Like

Yep. The had coverage on Ten and One as well as TenPlay

1 Like