2022 Birmingham Commonwealth Games Coverage

I could see this happening. I see Games coverage being relegated to Go rather than the NRL.

2 Likes

Could the reemergence of Channel 10 in sport (including Paramount+ Sport) see Channel 10 potentially broadcast the CWG now?

There are a lot of contenders (although there would need to be a FTA element)

Seven/7plus, Nine/Stan Sport/9Now, Ten/Paramount+ then you also have the streaming services like Kayo, Optus Sport, Amazon Prime who all could be considered.

Surely there is at least one network out there wanting to broadcast the games!

1 Like

Think that Seven will get them again how well they did at the Gold Coast 2018, here in New Zealand it will be back on pay per view SKY TV

1 Like

I would be surprised if this was on a FTA channel this time around.

2 Likes

It should be just free on YouTube for whoever wants to watch it … which is not a lot of people.

1 Like

There definitely will be considering (despite the unfavourable timezone) it’ll provide decent rating primetime content for two weeks. While we live in a different TV world to the one which existed in 2014, the Glasgow Commonwealth Games did well for 10/One in primetime then. That’s the best reference point considering Birmingham will have an identical timezone difference

3 Likes

There is a requirement for it. It is on the anti-syphoning list

2 Likes

Unless something completely out of left field happens, I’d probably stand by my previous prediction of Foxtel picking up the bulk of the rights with the anti-siphoning requirements being met by a bare bones FTA package (including Opening/Closing Ceremonies + key events of interest to Australians) sold on the cheap to either the ABC or SBS.

At the moment, I can’t see any of the three commercial networks coughing up the dough for an increasingly irrelevant sporting event in a less than favourable timezone for Australian audiences.

That’s not how it works thank god. You don’t get the rights again “because you did well”.

They didn’t do well at all. They barely had a studio built. It was terrible coverage.

2 Likes

Some cricket that is on list is only on Foxtel. And the government can’t force a broadcaster to buy the Commonwealth Games rights. In the end, that it is on the list means almost nothing.

3 Likes

The anti-siphoning laws are a joke. They need to be scrapped.

3 Likes

With the rise of streaming services such as Stan and Paramount going for sports rights, the laws are outdated. The list was created in 2010 long before streaming

2 Likes

The list and the law governing it definitely need to be updated and reformed to account for things like streaming services and events which should be added/removed. However, disagree that it should be scrapped.

I have no doubt that if the anti-siphoning list/laws was scrapped, the sports broadcasting landscape would become similar to the one found in the UK and NZ (ie; very few sports/events will end up being shown on FTA TV)

6 Likes

I think he might’ve been referring to ratings performance? Say what you like about the set design, on-air talent, direction, etc

But IIRC prime time, certainly week 1 swimming did 1 - 1.4m+ metro nightly, the Opening Ceremony did 2m+ metro in overnights and two nights did unbelievable 50%+ shares.

Obviously that won’t happen again, or is very unlikely to be replicated this time around however, as this was our own hosted Gold Coast games.

That was a no brainer anyway. It was a home CWG on the Gold Coast in Australian timeslots so of course it would rate well!

3 Likes

What I was trying to get at is it exceeded expectations, even Seven said that in countless media articles/interviews. Many predicted, even here on MS, way less numbers than it did. The buzz leading-up also wasn’t as electric as it could’ve been, maybe it was the non-capital city factor. The consistency in the high ratings was probably one of the key points, from the get go too. At a time when ‘good’ perceived ratings for FTA had dropped to 800k and only shows like MKR and Married and occssional Voice, Bachelor and MasterChef were doing those numbers.

Essentially many were saying “Comm Games are irrelevant, who cares about the now”, but it wasn’t the case, yes even though Australia hosted.

Comm Games can still be a winner, right things just need to fall into places. Needs to be faith. Seven, Nine and 10 should all bit IMO. Why not, like a commission, what if it does turns out successful?

2 Likes

The full schedule for the 2022 Commonwealth Games was unveiled a few days ago. The Opening Ceremony in the early hours (AEST) of Friday July 29th will kick off 11 days of competition. The schedule is highlighted by two ‘Super Sundays’ where medals will be awarded in a range of sports - the second one (on August 7th) will highlight women’s sports with hockey, netball and T20 cricket medal games all being played that day.

2 Likes

Which network has the tv rights in Australia?

None at the moment.

2 Likes

I Prefer Nine & Stan for the Rights.