2022 Birmingham Commonwealth Games Coverage

Some caps

6 Likes

It’s interesting that Seven keeps the copyright to its Commonwealth Games broadcast, and not the Commonwealth Games Federation. Totally different from the Olympic Games in which the International Olympic Committee has the copyright to all broadcasts.

4 Likes

Absolutely! Even Gold Coast 2018 stands out more to me (which was also our country, time zone and had metro ratings in the mid 1 million).

1 Like

I still think Melbourne 2006 was pretty good as an event and would be up there too.

Birmingham was good. I think from an opening and closing ceremony it showcased the city well.

1 Like

I kinda think Melbourne was a bit flat given Sydney 2000 was the obvious comparison a few years before.

6 Likes

They are two different events though. Comm games are always smaller than the Olympics. Smaller budgets too.

4 Likes

Definitely - just felt like it lived in the shadow a bit for me, anyway.

2 Likes

Agreed and I think most would think that too. Though it did do very well, high 3m metro for one of the Ceremonies (including a still record 1.8m in Melbourne I believe and more than 800k in Sydney).

1 Like

I didn’t understand the purpose of the channel change from 7 to 7mate

It turned out to be quite fortuitous to schedule the closing ceremony on 7Mate rather than delay Sunrise till 7am considering the news around Olivia Newton John broke just before the ceremony began.

9 Likes
5 Likes

Birmingham 2022 wins gold with viewers

As the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games came to a stirring close yesterday, the Seven Network’s exclusive, live and free coverage delivered record-breaking digital audiences on 7plus and reached a national audience of 11.1 million Australians for its linear broadcast on Channel 7 and 7mate.

Over the 12 days of the Games, 7plus delivered Australia’s biggest ever digital audience for a Commonwealth Games, up 177 % in BVOD versus the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games – which was held in an Australian time zone – and up 86% in live streaming.

From the Opening Ceremony on Friday 29 July to yesterday’s Closing Ceremony, Seven was #1 every day with an average national network commercial share of 49.2%, #1 in 25 to 54s (45.8%) and #1 in 16 to 39s (47.8%).

Seven Network is #1 nationally and in the capital cities so far in the OzTAM 2022 survey year, and #1 nationally in 25 to 54s and 16 to 39s.

7plus’ comprehensive coverage of Birmingham 2022 across 30 dedicated live and replay Commonwealth Games channels reached 2.15 million viewers and streamed more than 450 million minutes, with 7plus ranking #1 across the Games in BVOD with a commanding 50.8% share, and in live streaming (59.9%).

Viewing on 7plus was particularly popular with younger viewers, with Virtual Australia (VOZ) data up to day 8 recording an incremental audience reach on broadcast in 18 to 39s of 23%.

Across the Games, the Night session attracted the biggest audiences and dominated its timeslot with an average audience of 897,000 total viewers, including 23,000 on 7plus, and ranked #1 in its timeslot in total people, 25 to 54s and 16 to 39s.

Seven West Media Chief Revenue Officer, Kurt Burnette, said: “The Commonwealth Games on Seven, 7plus, 7NEWS.com.au and The West Australian captivated Australia and provided the outstanding results for our commercial partners

“After a record-breaking Summer and Winter Olympics and a home Ashes, the Commonwealth Games once again proved Seven’s leadership and global credentials as content creators and story tellers across all platforms. New and existing 7plus users helped drive massive streaming numbers, with exclusive content on 7plus, including Heartbreak Island, capturing a huge number of younger viewers.

“Our audience forecasts were not just met, but exceeded. We delivered what we said we would for advertisers and did so around genuine, magical, unmissable and unforgettable moments. We will once again take the key learnings and insights from the event to continue to innovate and enhance the advertiser and viewer experience in our plans for the future.

Kurt Burnette, Chief Revenue Officer, Seven West Media

“Ahead of the must-watch 2022 AFL Grand Final on Seven next month, the Commonwealth Games highlights the power and value of premium sport to deliver young and engaged audiences across all screens, and it helped increase the leadership of Seven and its key shows in 2022, including 7NEWS, Sunrise and The Chase Australia,” he said.

4 Likes

Very good numbers for live streams of the Birmingham Games. Channel 7 was able to capitalise on the success from Tokyo Olympics last year to the 2022 Winter Olympics.

3 Likes

Special events like the Olympics and Commonwealth Games were only restricted to single channel viewing in the past but in the 2020s we can view any event on your device at any time via 7Plus with an alternative commentary team.

10’s coverage of both Sochi and Glasgow 2014 started the online streaming revolution on TenPlay.

6 Likes

And people said no one would watch the Commonwealth Games.

8 Likes

I think Australian interest among the public might continue to increase once again with the next Games to be played in Victoria in four years’ time.

1 Like

It’s the first time there’s a Commonwealth Games before the Olympics so Victoria 2026 will gain interest.

2 Likes

I also think it’ll only be fair that Ten televises Victoria 2026, after Nine covered Melbourne 2006 and Seven covered Gold Coast 2018.

However, my gut is that Seven will cover it again, such are the successful ratings they generated from Birmingham 2022.

4 Likes

I originally commented thinking it would’ve been better not to delay Sunrise, but have it on the multichannel and the Ceremony on the main channel. A morning breakfast show doesn’t need to always be aired on the main channel, any closing ceremony is a one-off event

2 Likes

Or maybe their could be a split, with the closing ceremony on 7HD and Sunrise on 7 and 71. The only thing is it could cause problems for 7Regional, 7QLD, WIN Seven and SCA Seven.