2020 US Presidential Election - Media Coverage

Seen as part of a wrap of international reaction on CBSN

10 Likes

Sunrise delayed into Perth with Nine simulcasting CNN this morning

1 Like

NBC has just begun their 2nd night of election coverage on the main network. Instead of just doing one hour at 10pm ET like both ABC & CBS will be doing, they’ve pre-empted their entire primetime schedule (including shifting the final of American Ninja Warrior to Friday night)

4 Likes

MSNBC Decision 2020 ad break split screen on second night:

3 Likes

Nine ended its CNN coverage at 12:00 pm AEDT. Ellen for NSW and Vic.

Queensland is getting a Titanic doco - no 11:30 am news. Perth also on filler.

7 Likes

Why though? We don’t have a result yet!

1 Like

Exactly. They spent all day and half the night yesterday. Why not stick with it today for the result?

1 Like

Big night for Planet America, almost a million viewers across all platforms…
303,000 on ABC News
451,000 livestreams on Youtube

Mod. edit: Contains ratings info not permitted by OzTAM agreement.

2 Likes

NBC News continued its US Election Coverage as usual.

3 Likes

Can anyone guarantee the result will be today? Are things changing quickly enough to justify rolling coverage?

Until anything drastic changes that can’t be covered in news updates, I think they can comfortably go back to normal programming. If a result is announced, you can bet they’d break in pretty quick smart.

2 Likes

Ah wow. What is the ad break marker? Is it a visual signal on the screen?

Fox is in a weird place where it’s calls were the most accurate, and they weren’t relenting on these calls even when the GOP was demanding they do (see Arizona). I suspect the vast majority of that audience is 65+ though, maybe even 75+. They have such a huge base of elderly viewers.

4 Likes

oh you mean Media Watch?

All stations have had switching errors here and there, kudos to them for trying to keep the feed up. I bet some poor pres assistant was pushing buttons like mad all night.

Also, check this out for some specky graphics…

1 Like

Nine made the right decision by returning to normal programming. While there have been some counting updates today, it’s been coming through in drips and drabs so most of the coverage on the US networks has focused on analysis. Frankly it’s the type of coverage that only political junkies (such as myself) would watch and most people doing that would probably already be watching the US networks directly.

2 Likes

Also worth noting that yesterday’s coverage, when there was a lot of activity, rated lower than Nine’s usual afternoon line-up.

3 Likes

I knew that would happen. There just isn’t as much interest in American politics as the Australian networks think there is. They would have been better off running normal programs and just taking the CNN feed on 9Gem for the few who might be interested.

4 Likes

I disagree, even if their daytime ratings are down for a single day, offering comprehensive coverage of big news events strengths their news brand and in the long term will ensure people continue to tune in for the nightly news and (super important now) continue to visit their news website.

8 Likes

Most people who watched the news at night wouldn’t have watched daytime television. I bet more regular daytime viewers were watching alternative channels and services yesterday.

2 Likes

most people don’t give rats about the American elections. and the ratings prove that. I agree with @JBar. Australians don’t care about the American elections.

2 Likes

i knows lots of people didnt even watch or changed channell . i think its time the networks rethink about internations elections . australians dont really care who is going to be president or pm of another govt

1 Like