2019 New South Wales state election - media coverage

Why does Nine have a different hashtag for the NSW election? It has NSWdecides while all other media outlets has NSWvotes hashtag. Last year during the Victorian election all media outlets used the Vicvotes hashtag.

1 Like

Seems he’s made from Teflon, none of the mud can stick.

Then again, they said the same about a former archbishop.

3 Likes

Nine making an error. Gladys Berejiklian isn’t the ‘Premier-Elect’ as she is still the Premier.

1 Like

…especially since Alan Jones isn’t even a native Sydneysider. Judging by the information I can find online, he was born/grew up in country Queensland.

It really pains me to say this as a resident of Sydney and New South Wales, but we’re all completely f***ed for at least another four years.

1 Like

I’m not a resident of NSW but I wonder if the dislike for Gladys is because she’s a bad person or is it her party and their policies are bad for the state?

Here in SA, the current government isn’t any better since Steven Marshall took over and I’m wondering if there is a connection.

Of course, it’s probably better to discuss this in the relevant topic.

1 Like

Sounds like the ABC are beginning to wrap up their coverage

The problems with her are her government continually impinges on people’s lives. The lock pout laws are horrific as it’s crippled night life.

Then the pill testing and festival issues are again killing people’s freedoms.

Her infrastructure is good but plagued with problems.

She’s also such an unpleasant person.

3 Likes

1 Like

ABC coverage excellent as usual. Very impressed with the graphics! Really top notch stuff. Antony Green should have been given a knighthood while those were still a thing.

1 Like

Can political and name calling of commentators be moved to another thread and this thread be left for media coverage. Not interested in reading personal opinions on individual politicians in the media coverage thread.

11 Likes

Channel 7 wrapped up their coverage around 11:05pm

5 Likes

Congratulations to the first publicly elected female NSW Premier on her win tonight. A family of migrants to Australia and she didn’t even speak English in school. A true success story that has not been celebrated enough by feminists (I wonder why :thinking:). In fact, Jane Caro described it as a depressing night. Also fantastic to see One Nation in the NSW Parliament, particularly Mark Latham!

Anyway - onto the coverage.

I mainly watched Seven (but did flick). Their coverage was very good. They made good use of their set. I’m not sure I like the constant changing of seats - keep the same seating positions. Their graphics are the best Election graphics they’ve had since 2010 - yet still not great. Their seat by seat super at the bottom does not have enough information on it. It only shows predicted winner of seat not the candidates running and/or the percentage of their vote. They should take a look at their 2010 graphics! Hopefully they introduce a new graphics package for their coverage in six weeks. They had top reporters in key seats, they had Angie Asimus get an interview with Gladys AFTER her victory speech where no other network was seen. Their panel was good. Was great seeing Chris Meers reaction to his seat numbers. Penny McAllister was gracious and insightful. Mark Latham is a great alayser - being a former federal party leader he obviously knows a lot about elections and seats. Everyone bags him out but I suggest you watch him during election coverage. Michael Usher superb - he should host every election channel seven ever does - make him Ray Martin/Tom Brokaw. What I did not like was their white backdrop. The first network that has a tally board backdrop will get my vote on election night! Channel Seven should illuminate their building in Martin Place with red and blue, add some Australian flags and use a live shot of that for their backdrop. I also think seven needs an election theme.

Nine had a very boring panel. Ross Greenwood is cringeworthy as hell. Their set (in election mode) and graphics are sensational and world class. Seven should take note.

Sky News was ok. Their graphics are good. Didn’t like all the live crosses. Desk seemed a bit too small. David Speers is good.

ABC boring as hell. Graphics ok. Didn’t need two hosts, just have one. Antony is good but I would keep him seated and not with a touch screen - he’ll be just as good without it.

Channel Ten - why bother. Either have full blown election coverage or don’t cover it at all. If you’ve got extended news breaks then you are interrupting people who are watching whatever movie you’re showing. If those people wanted to know about the election, they’d change the channel and watch a real network. Nobody is tuning into Channel Ten to get their election coverage. For their federal election they really should attempt an election coverage if they want to be seen as a credible and reliable news source in this country.

6 Likes

You might want to edit that. :smiley:

1 Like

Why so?

1 Like

Gladys is not the first publicly elected NSW premier, that’s why.

1 Like

Yes but it was in the sentence being ‘her’. I’ll amend that. I think ON will get another Upper House seat.

1 Like

Seven’s full coverage from 6:30pm onwards

3 Likes

The thing is that in post 2014, CHannel 10 has made cuts to news programs (Early, Morning, Late News as well as the failed Wake Up show that performed terribly). Previously, TEN used to show The Election Project (2010, 2013) but has stopped possibly due to low numbers.

Macquarie Radio had John Stanley and Natalie Peters on NTS Digital from 6pm, and 2GB after the NRL. I tuned in during breaks in the AFL and it seemed pretty good. A little hard to follow when they were going through figures seat-by-seat at some times, but otherwise a good effort.

Ray Hadley and Alan Jones phoned in comments after 10pm.