2019 New South Wales state election - media coverage

The thing is that in post 2014, CHannel 10 has made cuts to news programs (Early, Morning, Late News as well as the failed Wake Up show that performed terribly). Previously, TEN used to show The Election Project (2010, 2013) but has stopped possibly due to low numbers.

Macquarie Radio had John Stanley and Natalie Peters on NTS Digital from 6pm, and 2GB after the NRL. I tuned in during breaks in the AFL and it seemed pretty good. A little hard to follow when they were going through figures seat-by-seat at some times, but otherwise a good effort.

Ray Hadley and Alan Jones phoned in comments after 10pm.

Behind the scenes of Sevens coverage -

4 Likes

Ratings from last night:
ABC
NINE
SEVEN.

4 Likes

Following on from David, the figures are here.

An accurate reflection of the quality of the broadcasts.

3 Likes

7 should’ve put Mel Doyle on with Usher!

2 Likes

Killing the freedom to take illegal drugs? Lol ok then

I think that Usher is capable of hosting election coverage on his own. However, if they do have a hosting duo, it should be Usher and Doyle. Doyle is quite experienced having worked on and hosted three federal elections for Seven. For their federal election Michael Usher and Mel Doyle as lead hosts with Mark Riley on a break away panel.

Seven should look at their 2010 coverage and copy it. Mark Riley had a panel and that panel went through every seat. Then, Mel and Kochie along with their main panel including Richo, Downer, Brough and Beattie would conduct the interviews and look at the overall state of play.

3 Likes

Well done Antony Green, as Knoxy put yesterday “he’s the man”.

Seven won’t be happy, they’d done very well with all their news specials the past couple of years.

Also, all ratings and shares for NSW election last night are lower than the Vic election last November too (and there was no AFL/NRL then either). The Seven-Nine result is flipped however on that one (although could be argued Nine and ABC are inflated by multiple codings?)

Is this the first time a digital channel has made it into the top 20 overnights?

1 Like

No, I think ABC News’ coverage of federal election had made it into the top 20 before.

4 Likes

Meanwhile, Ten and their so-called “alternative programming lineup” (with 10 News First Election Updates, but I still think there really should’ve been full coverage on last night) was nowhere to be seen.

Those who watched the generally excellent “NSW Election Eve” Coverage on Friday night perhaps not unreasonably, would’ve thought that 10 News First might have some decent NSW Election night coverage. This needs to improve for the Federal Election coverage but unfortunately, I won’t be holding my breath for this to happen.

3 Likes

Watched ABC24 coverage from Perth last night with the occassional switch to Sky News. Different seat counts on both channels

Yes you’re right … they might as well do coverage if they’re only getting 5% audience share. The coverage they did have was quite decent so expanding on that would go along way to improving their news.

3 Likes

10 could have easily built on the Sully, Dastyari and PVO panel if they wanted to. When it comes to the federal election, I think they should try go all out in their coverage. See what comes from it.

4 Likes

Due to all the different coding by the networks covering different timeslots, I’ve gone through and calculated the ratings from 7pm-10pm for a fair comparison. I’ve even included a line graph with the 15 minute breakdowns.

12 Likes

Another case of just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

Not a fan of the backdrop on 10

What is that secondary desks design…

1 Like

Looks to be The Daily Editions desk, with a different graphic in the light box at the front.

4 Likes

Pretty sure it was also used for the Royal Wedding

2 Likes

No need for another host alongside Usher. The problem with 7s coverage last night and during the last Federal election is the panelists they choose. Listening to lunatics screech at each other is hardly appealing.

3 Likes