1 News NZ

I don’t think you have to be a meteorologist to present the weather. The Metservice provides the TV-ready script and graphics. A high school student could present it.

Dan is the exception though because he is a meteorologist and doesn’t use a script. His weather updates are entirely ad-libbed.

5 Likes

Karen Olsen previously on 1 News, were there many other meteorologists before her though?

I think Augie Auer may have been the only meteorologist TV3 ever had.

1 Like

Fair point. So in that case, why bother having a weather presenter at all? Why not have the newsreader read out the forecast over the map?

Jim Hickey has a climatology degree, and later also did a meteorology diploma. Can’t think of anyone besides him and Karen, though.

New tonight

5 Likes

Looks awful in my opinion

1 Like

It looks like they have a graphic behind that most likely is supposed to disappear when the information slides out. They have also got a new name graphic as well. Yeah very cluttered.

6 Likes

Hideous

7 Likes

Look like the Vote 2020 lower thirds

TVNZ Santamaria review is out.

HONCA Paul Yurisich has resigned.

8 Likes

Was inevitable, wonder if Mereana Hond will be affected in anyway

1 Like

I note Melissa Stokes is anchoring 1 News at Six with their own newsroom as top story. Wonder if they wanted to avoid having their lead anchor in the chair for this.

2 Likes

Hey, shout-out to Helen Castles. Amazing reporter. I actually used to work with her back in summer 2017-18 with some filming :wink:

4 Likes

And hot on the heels of the Santamaria scandal… potentially another scandal?

1 Like

That’s not a scandal… Just flagging one of many issues that will need to be worked through.

And a pretty thin basis for a news story. Just an opposition MP finding something to clutch her pearls about.

Matt McLean - maybe I’m being unfair but I just see him as an (fairly tacky) entertainer and hardly a journalist.

The others named in the story - seemed like pretty harmless promotion work, but would probably better if they didn’t.

6 Likes

ICYMI: Tonight’s bulletin kicked off with the Santamaria review out and Yurisich resign

3 Likes

Definitely something to be considered, I can’t stand these sponsored sort and just cheapens the image of anyone in news who wishes to do it.

Agreed, a qualified journalist but enjoys doing anything but journalism on camera or behind a mic. Promoting himself more than anything else, but just my 2 cents.

1 Like

I looked at Jenny Suo’s instagram and saw nothing that could be flagged as objectionable - the vast majority of it is tramping posts. Haven’t looked at any of the others, and don’t really care to tbh.

Agreed that Matty is really just a presenter these days - kind of the Breakfast court jester, if you will (and not a very good one IMO) - as is Renee, really. I personally don’t think they should do it, not whilst they are associated with 1 News, but as said above, I’m sure it will work itself out.

I suppose part of the issue is that NZ is such a small country that things like the women’s mags have to resort to doing spreads on mid-level newsreaders and political reporters, because there really aren’t many actual celebrities, and so it’s the journos themselves who get to be part of the associated glitz and glamour (as it were). Don’t think you’d really see that anywhere else.

2 Likes

Quite an outdated point of view. Believe it or not male journalists can also read the same script.

7 Likes

And believe it or not, you don’t need to be a meteorologist to understand the weather.

7 Likes

As has been said before Paddy, this is incredibly sexist.

1 Like