1 News NZ

In my book, the single head newsreader style and half hour format are in line with other major broadcasters worldwide including the BBC, ITV and the major US networks (ABC, CBS and NBC). I agree with @Akash_Prakash.

On another point entirely, I wish TVNZ would make better use of Caroline Robinson’s skills.

She is great when she pops up reporting on Seven Sharp and I used to really rate her as a reader on 3. I think she may have hosted Seven Sharp a few times with Mike Hosking a few heads back and obviously did 20/20 for a while as well but I’d like to see her as a newsreader filling in (realising they do have a lot of female depth). Maybe she doesn’t want to, but it’s a shame her talents aren’t being fully utilised imho.

3 Likes

Melissa Stokes filling in for Wendy tonight. Hmmmm maybe in a few weeks time we’ll be saying “Wendy filling in for Melissa” :thinking::joy:

You’re old school

Our personal habits are often not reflective of the greater population.

“Why did they axe that show? Me and Everyone i know watches it”

Well ratings show no one watched it

1 Like

Not relevant to this thread really but here’s a photo of Peter Williams from 1971 post from my towns local memory page On Facebook today.

2 Likes

This is ridiculous. Why would TVNZ need poach one of Three’s average presenters for 6pm?

I do like the thought of Rebecca Wright though but she’s not a very warm presenter. Similar to Anna Burns-Francis. Great talent though.

Melissa Stokes holds the 6pm slot together at weekends, but bosses would face a tough time luring her from the cherished after-school time she has with her two sons throughout the week

Tame, with his fluent te reo, would be a great pick, but Spy understands he is enjoying his radio and current affairs roles and would be reluctant to shelve his interviewing skills.

I thought 6pm would be the role journos dream of…?

It’s an absurd article. Even for Spy magazine.

Some do, some don’t. You are bound to the studio a lot and don’t to get to do a lot of reporting or interviews.

I think if they were to use one presenter for the 6pm they should take a lot out there format and change that up.

I’d like to see ending the use of the background for story intro and more focused on tighter presenter shots.

Also incorporate the reporters a bit more into their stories not just in their pieces, a quick Live post piece from them if they’re in the Newsroom at the time.

Can’t seem to put my ideas into words but if they went single head I’d like to see a more fast paced attempt at an hour of news.

I have

5 Likes

The mega screen seems broken tonight.

No standing presentation at the start of the bulletin, while Sport appears to be in an area tighter to the desk.

It has to do with the fire inside the TVNZ headquarters… strange.

Do they pre-record the weather now?

What gives you that idea, IMO it doesn’t look like it as Daniel throws to Simon and Wendy then they throw to to Seven Sharp

Maybe they record rehersal incase of failures. Idk

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t see the throw last night. Disregard!

1 Like

Melissa Stokes presenting for the 10th day in a row, presenting 6pm with John Campbell tonight.

2 Likes

Never rated Melissa stokes much as a newsreader but would have her and John as permanent @ six presenters anyday. Love how John wears a vest too

3 Likes

I dont know, I find that John doesn’t suit newsreading and it comes across awkward, hes better off as a host and interviewer. Hes well suited to Breakfast. Jack should get the 6pm gig.

2 Likes

Yeah, John Campbell throwing his arms around while reading the news is very distracting. Not a good newsreader but a great Breakfast host.

It’s interesting because he now just seems to have one presenting style. Back when he was a newsreader on 3 News, he was a lot more formal but with an understated warmth (his broadcast on the day of the September 11 attacks is a masterclass imho). Now there is no difference between his news persona and Breakfast/Campbell Live/Checkpoint persona.

5 Likes

You’re absolutely right. The night he anchored for September 11 was incredible television.