General TV History

How many viewers would care?
I think a small mention in the 18:00 news is good, otherwise the promos, etc. are all network-wide so it’d mean extra work to change just for (in this case) Melbourne.
Studio 10 is the type of show to go into this type of story a bit more so it would’ve been nice if Today Extra did something for GTV9’s anniversary.

Sad indightment. NBN did better marking their 50th Anniversary. They did it for over 12 months

1 Like

I’m starting to think since Seven and Nine celebrated big on their 50th anniversaries, their 60th means nothing.

They also celebrated, 25th, 30th and 40th, so 60th should have seen more.

Yeah cause it’s a big milestone.
Just like TVQ 10 didn’t make the 20th Anniversary of the switchover

[quote=“TV-ACT, post:1159, topic:137, full:true”]
How many viewers would care?I[/quote]

Nostalgia is usually of fairly broad appeal. Anyone watching TV news will have been a TV viewer for most of their lives.

And TV networks, especially Seven and Nine, have never been backward in drawing attention to themselves in the past. It is telling that the one network that outdid them both was one that wasn’t even around 60 years ago. And they showed that an effective special can be put together, seemingly for not much cost and it was put together over only a couple of weeks.

It doesn’t even have to be localised. ABC, Nine and Seven all started within weeks/months of each other in Sydney and Melbourne and have had shared branding, presentation and programming for a very long time. It surely wouldn’t have broken the bank or been too labour intensive to even just put together some commemorative promos to air across both cities.

Speaking of anniversaries, there was one small channel launched 40 years ago today. GTW11 Geraldton debuted on Friday 21 January 1977. There’s not much known about GTW11 other than it became part of the Golden West Network in 1987 so is now part of GWN7.

I don’t have the first night’s schedule for GTW11 but do have the second which is on my website but here is the source document:

Source: TV Times.

3 Likes

Finally i found those idents for a very long time
its was Nine’s joint venture channel in India its called Nine Gold
the channel didn’t last long but the idents look amazing

3 Likes

At 6.30pm on this day in 1988 this little bundle of joy first appeared…

YouTube: FlemishDog

I’d had a passing interest in TV idents etc beforehand but i think this one saw my interest cranked up, possibly also because we’d just got our first VCR so finally had a way of recording these things.

And also because it was such an unexpected change. No teaser promos or anything or not even a word in the papers. Just happened to be watching at that time as it made its debut.

8 Likes

It was a million times better than what followed in 1989, 10 TV Australia!!

4 Likes

I remember 10 TV Australia! Haha was horrible logo. If I ever see that logo again I think I might go awol :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hey! I loved 10 TV Australia!!

1 Like

Honestly, who thought THIS looked good?

Although, to be fair, it did look slightly better later on.

6 Likes

If you ask me, the 1988-89 “X Ten” logo and Idents looked pretty good! I wonder if a modernised version of the concept would work on TV today.

The “10 TV Australia” branding on the other hand was absolutely horrendous, even taking into consideration that serif fonts were a fairly big thing in TV branding during the Late '80s/Early '90s time period.

2 Likes

I liked the X ten logo as well. Also liked the Ten logo and opener from 1992 with discs. Even Capital TV’s version looked good.

What was the worst TV branding relaunch? “10 TV Australia” or the dotless Nine? What is Sevens’ equivalent?

1 Like

And the moment it changed to 10 TV Australia (thanks to TelevisionAU!)

The best thing about this particular era was the teaser campaign. Fans of The Simpsons will know what a “Gabbo” teaser ad is all about. Little flashes teasing the new 10 TV Australia and “There’s something going on around here…” painting over the old logo, appeared way before it launched, gradually expanding to:

6 Likes

The X logo was the first to be used when TVO switched to Ten in 1988.

2 Likes

A couple of teasers

4 Likes

Seven’s equivalent of a Relaunch Fail would surely have to be the new 2014 theme music for Seven News which only lasted 4-5 days before reverting back?

With NEW-10 Perth also using the “X TEN” logo from launch it was the first to be used across a five capital city network (well maybe not ownership wise but certainly programing/branding wise) of Channel Ten stations, if I’m not mistaken.

1 Like

Nah that fits into Ten’s ‘news revolution’ or News Centre Nine? as bad news relaunches.

Having a think, maybe it was 7’s Brand Spankin’ New Summer?

1 Like