General TV History

Well when Channel 9 recently showed highlights of a classic test from 1990/91 it looked a bit like that. Either that or it was just how it showed up on my TV set

Analogue videotape quality degrades but it was interesting to see it & think ‘was the quality really that bad back then’?
But it just wasn’t great quality in the first place; it probably would’ve looked reasonable (like a VHS recording) on an old CRT, but not quite as good as when originally broadcast live.

1 Like

Could well be. We’re probably just spoiled these days cause the picture and sound qualities have improved so much in the last 10-15 years since digital and HD have come in

1 Like

I obviously couldn’t tell you how the quality of broadcast tape (which I presume that archive footage from the 1990s is recorded onto) looks compared to a live broadcast from that era but I’d imagine that if stored correctly, the picture/audio quality from broadcast tape probably still looks/sounds reasonable and better than someone at home could’ve gotten from a domestic video recording at the time.

But of course, video/audio quality has improved dramatically in the last 10-15 years or so (well, maybe not always as far as TV broadcast quality is concerned with the lower bitrates to fit more channels in) to the point that probably won’t be too long until many people have a ultra HD camera in their smartphone.

3 Likes

You’d be surprised at how good some cameras in phones are

Leave the networks alone!!. We You Tubers live for the day one of our clips is used by a network :grinning:

6 Likes

As long as the networks pay them for acting as de facto archives.

1 Like

They are NOT the same team, the Tigers surrendered the NBL licence which was picked up by the consortium that runs Melbourne United 3 years ago. United claim the history of all Melbourne clubs (dating back to the likes of St.Kilda in 1979) as part of their heritage but they are very much a separate entity to the Tigers organisation. Besides if they were the same team they wouldn’t have worn the South East Melbourne Magic tops in the last 2 games, the Magic being a hated rival in the 1990’s.

1 Like

A really rare station ID from ATV0, courtesy of dontv3192.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RSnZYaXg34

1 Like

This morning

2 Likes

I wish they’d promoted it in advance I would have recorded it. Now I’ll have to try and endure TenPlay to see it :worried:

Although Studio 10 used to put segments on YouTube but I think that has long ended.

In other news, 18 January brings lots of anniversaries:

1982: Sons And Daughters begins on Channel 7 in a 90-minute episode. I’d read about Number 96 but never seen an episode at that stage, so was interested to see Pat McDonald make her TV return here. Although her S&D character Fiona was planets away from the muddled Dorrie Evans from 96.

YouTube: PrisonerCellBlockH95

1988: The first regular episode of Home And Away after its movie length pilot the night before. Seven Nightly News begins, and with it the first appearance of The Mission theme tune by Seven… although they were playing the theme tune in news promos airing the day before. I’d instantly recognised it as the Today show intro from NBC. In Melbourne this also marked the return to a half-hour bulletin at 6.30 after the disaster of the previous year. And it marked Jennifer Keyte’s debut at Seven after being a reporter at Ten, and she was joined by Glenn Taylor who had come via Seven interstate.

The same night also saw the debut of Hinch At Seven and the return of the A Current Affair brand after a ten-year break, with Jana Wendt.

1994: The debut of Blue Heelers, originally in the 7.30 timeslot and appearing before the evening session of the Australian Open. Problem was that in Melbourne at least the playout of the show was plagued by audio problems for much of the episode, prompting Seven to have to repeat it later in the week. Certainly didn’t do the show’s longevity any harm!

3 Likes

@TelevisionAU The Young Doctors reunion from Studio 10 is on You Tube,this interview has been promoted heavily during Studio 10 since last week.

EDIT- Studio 10 did tweet last night promoting this morning’s interview.

I don’t watch the show as I’m at work so I don’t see in-program promotion. I meant external promotion via social media etc. The first I saw them tweet about it was this morning just as it was about to go to air.

1 Like

I seem to remember Seven getting the highest rating test card one night during blue heelers too

2 Likes

Another rare station ID courtesy of dontv3192.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL1h2OYqO_s

5 Likes

So another 60th anniversary has come and gone with barely a mention from the industry or the channel concerned.

GTV9, often regarded as one of the most successful TV stations in the country over the years, launched 60 years ago on Thursday. You would think that for a channel that has had so much success over the years that it might warrant some mention somewhere. I’ve no idea if Nine News acknowledged it that evening, perhaps they did.

Apparently there was a small “official” gathering at the old 22 Bendigo Street site on Thursday morning with other ex-staff at an informal do in the afternoon.

This trade ad appeared in Broadcasting and Television (B&T) magazine in November 1956 ahead of GTV’s debut.

7 Likes

There was a small mention on Nine News Melbourne about this a couple of days ago.

2 Likes

Thanks. Seems to be about the same effort that HSV showed for its 60th a few months back.

Staggering that for an industry that will drum up hype for any minor event or milestone that the whole 60th anniversary has gone virtually unnoticed by all of ABC, Seven and Nine. And all were upstaged by Ten which threw together that Studio 10 special back in September.

3 Likes

How many viewers would care?
I think a small mention in the 18:00 news is good, otherwise the promos, etc. are all network-wide so it’d mean extra work to change just for (in this case) Melbourne.
Studio 10 is the type of show to go into this type of story a bit more so it would’ve been nice if Today Extra did something for GTV9’s anniversary.

Sad indightment. NBN did better marking their 50th Anniversary. They did it for over 12 months

1 Like