General TV History

I agree that the personality type idents hlp create a connection to the audience.

Brisbane Style

4 Likes

IMO personality based network promos, usually launched in the summer months before ratings start, are very missed. They build brand and connections.

And they don’t get more epic than the promos produced by Nine in the late 80s!

8 Likes

Nah, but the Australian Television Network branding didn’t seem to go anywhere…

http://oi35.tinypic.com/27zkbpi.jpg

4 Likes

My vote would be the dotless 9.
Because Nine had an iconic logo, more iconic than the 7 in a circle.
And they basically threw all of that away, only to bring it back 2 years later.

TEN had a new logo every year back then, so 10TV Australia was more or less TEN still trying to find themselves as a network. The irony is that when TEN introduced the current logo (in 1991 I think?) they are the commercial network who has now gone the longest without a major logo change (ie. excluding minor colour changes and the circle now having no edge etc).

4 Likes

Absolutely!

1 Like

That lasted until 1992 didn’t it?

I assume you’re referring to the Australian Television Network branding; I don’t remember when it disappeared but was happy to find a picture of it!

a couple of Australian Television Network program enders.

4 Likes

They could have kept it going using “ATN”. I remember Hey Dad! having a ending VO saying “this has been an Australian Television Network production”.

That sneaky red trapezoid in the ATN logo makes me suspect that the current Seven logo was actually formulated during that time.

I could imagine some sort of animation where it flips between ATN and the trapezoid Seven logo…

1 Like

You must have a poor memory then. Hey Dad! was never a Seven Network nor Australian Television Network production. It was a Gary Reilly Production for the Seven Network. Or it was a Gary Reilly Production for the Australian Television Network.

1 Like

For many seasons was voiced by the talent and yes, as you put it, for the Australian Television Network.

1 Like

Close enough, and I was 4 years old when the show ended.

1 Like

I guess it was at the time an attempt to be forward-looking, with aggregation about to start and (much) later multi-channels, perhaps it’s unfortunate that some of the networks’ attempts to move away from their channel number branding didn’t take. (Of course “TV Australia” was Ten being stupid by not ensuring the name wasn’t already used!)

I think ATN would have seemed too Sydney centric, since Sydney was ATN-7

2 Likes

How many normal people (not on this site) outside Sydney would even know Channel 7 Sydney’s callsign is ATN?

6 Likes

Presumably Ten changed their logo to a lower case font because people in other cities were furious that they were using their Sydney call sign.

5 Likes

It’s been known as TEN in most markets since the early 80s with different logos.

1 Like

To be honest I don’t think anyone ever made the connection and just saw “Ten” as 10 and not as the Sydney callsign.

1 Like

Come on people, context! :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m pretty sure @Moe was making a tongue-in-cheek reference to the earlier Australian Television Network and ATN Sydney comments.

5 Likes