Nine News Local

Nine News from Brisbane is currently called on screen Nine News Queensland. I can’t see that changing.

How hard is it really to record a new opening voice over? But knowing the priorities of TV networks, it probably won’t happen due to laziness.

One begins to imagine what Kerry Packer would’ve thought of all this hahaha :stuck_out_tongue:

With ACT rego plates!!

Hmmmm…

It says production on it, so would have been used for production staff to go film adds etc.

2 Likes

It is nothing to do with new voice overs; it is so as not to exclude viewers on the Gold Coast etc.

1 Like

Speaking of, I think it would make sense if NBN Gold Coast took a version of the Queensland local news instead of NBN News - it would make the whole bulletin more relevant to viewers in the area, not having a small window in an otherwise NSW centric bulletin.

4 Likes

Another advantage of that would be that most of the bulletin would be live during Daylight Savings, thus also being more to update.

But for as long as NBN keeps using the NBN News brand through the rest of Northern NSW, it probably isn’t going to happen :frowning:

4 Likes

Soon it’ll only be the GC viewers, but as they have their own bulletin it shouldn’t be a problem, if anything Nine should change it to say Brisbane as that’s what it is, plus Nine don’t show any such concern in the other states.

True, and as NBN is Nine-Owned I don’t see why on GC they/Nine shouldn’t replace both the current NBN NSW bulletin with and Nine Brisbane’s GC News with either:

1. Moving the 9News GC to 18:00 & changing it to a combined bulletin like the Brisbane one is, or
  2. Add a GC local insert to the new 9News Queensland (regional) bulletin Nine will shortly start doing for SC9.
    It doesn’t seem to make sense for Nine to continue doing what they’re currently doing on the GC, on either of their stations.
    The only question which comes to mind is how much of the NBN9 GC broadcast area is in Northern NSW, and so cover viewers who actually want/need to know about NSW state issues?
    The same problem of course also exists at other border areas, with Albury, NSW/Wodonga, Vic. the obvious big one, so it’ll be interesting to see how Nine & SCA will handle that area too.
3 Likes

It will also be broadcast from the Sunshine Coast South relays station to that area and presumably on the weekend to all of Queensland.

1 Like

Nine Gold Coast News is a ratings winner, and axing it would probably give Seven’s bulletin market leadership.

And I can’t see Nine doing a 1 hr bulletin at 6pm just for the Gold Coast, they will have their hands full with the current Brisbane bulletin and the new QLD bulletin for regionals.

As for the cross state issues, it’s really only Tweed Heads and the Tweed Coast eg. Pottsville, Cabarita Beach that falls into this category.

These areas can also get NBN Far North Coast, which is on Daylight Savings time, so they COULD watch both the NSW and QLD bulletins during those months.

4 Likes

I can see WIN promote it’s Shepparton local news service as “100% Shepparton and the Goulburn Valley” in its promos as a reaction to the Nine bulletin, I’ll bet Nine will be 90% Albury/Wodonga/North East and 10% Goulburn Valley/Southern Riverina with ALL local reporters based in Albury. WIN News is still the dominant news programme in the Goulburn Valley only by virtue of its heritage.

I’m honestly amazed that neither Nine or Seven are currently running a 6pm bulletin just for the Gold Coast, unless they’re legally obliged to still broadcast the Brisbane news of course.

Surely a market the size of the Gold Coast with one of Australia’s biggest population booms in recent times (there’s currently over 600k permanent residents, if I’m not mistaken) can support one, if not two metropolitan-standard 6pm news bulletins? It’s probably a question that the networks are going to have to ask in the future: Should the Gold Coast be a standalone TV market rather than just having localised relays of Brisbane & Northern NSW stations?

But for the meantime, I can’t see the current situation changing. At the moment, both Seven and Nine probably feel that they’re adequately covering the Gold Coast with their 5.30pm bulletins as well as any stories that come from their Gold Coast bureaus on Brisbane’s 6pm news.

1 Like

Nine are in a very close battle for the SEQ market and would have zero interest in creating a more relevant 6pm NBN bulletin for the Gold Coast that would potentially take viewers from their Brisbane service.

90 minutes of news seems to be working out very well for both Seven and Nine on the Gold Coast so I don’t see why they would want to change that. Any move to just one hour of news at 6pm would only be to the benefit of Ten’s 5-6pm bulletin that is in direct competition with the local 5.30 bulletins.

4 Likes

They’re both Nine so who cares?
Because of the legacy reasons already @SydneyCityTV alluded to the region has an odd & inefficient double-up of TV channels, but the Australian Government would have to care enough to make licensing area changes (I doubt ACMA would do so off their own bat, so the minister would have to get involved, but a minister is unlikely to stick his/her neck out for no benefit).

OK, maybe it might help Ten just a little, but it would simplify scheduling & playout, and standardisation does save money. However profit overall (ratings vs cost) is of course more important.
Still it’ll be interesting to see what the situation looks like in a few years (I can’t imagine Nine keeping the NBN News brand just because of the overlap areas like the Gold Coast & NSW Central Coast, and when that brand goes…).

1 Like

The NBN viewers don’t count towards Nine’s metro ratings so Nine Brisbane would care. If Nine News had just 4,000 fewer viewers each night last year, they would have lost the Brisbane Mon-Fri news battle while the extra viewers going to NBN would have made no difference to their NNSW ratings supremacy.

The Gold Coast has a 20 year history now of local news at 530, Brisbane news at 6.

It’s worked, and works that way for 20 years. That’s what time locals expect the local news - and at 6, they expect the “national” news from Brisbane.

It’s a legacy issue. The same way people in Melbourne expect local and national news together in one bulletin (imagine a 100% local Melbourne news at 530 - I think it worked die) The Gold Coast market expects differently.

I think it just is what it is - it seems to work well.

And as Gold Coast is part of the Brisbane TV market - it’s Impressive Nine and Seven do a local news at all.

I can’t think of ANY US TV market where a station that is licensed to a few cities (say the stations in Miami which cover Miami and Fort Lauderdale) split the signal and do a second local news service.

6 Likes

Bt it’s all revenue - to the same network. If anything by having two options at 6pm (9 News Brisbane and NBN News) the Nine network picks up a few thousand extra viewers.

If they are watching 9 News or NBN News - considering the same company makes ad revenue from both - it’s just shifting viewers form one to the other. Kind of like saying McDonald’s should’t open a store 2km down the road as it takes customers from the existing store. If the same company owns both - if anything they gain some extra viewers.

I don’t see it changing.

1 Like

What do we the backdrop will be for the NSW bulletin?

• Some kind of generic 9 News blue and red graphic elements (like NBN and 9 News national)
  • Some kind of generic Southern NSW coastal / hinterland image?
  • A live shot?

It’s a bit tough, as they have to make it work for Canberra (inland city) , Wollongong (coastal city) , Albury, Wagga, Orange and the whole Southern NSW broadcast area of 1.4 million people.

I think the best bet is to go with some kind of generic 9 News red and blue graphic image for the main parts of bulletin perhaps with a NSW state map made out of 9 dots (like they do the map of Australia with the globe)

And then when they go to the local windows, use a local skyline / area backdrop for each city.
So for Canberra some shots like:

Will also be interesting (beyond the first week when it’s Canberra only) to see how the opener is done.

A live SNSW market wide opener with juts “9 News” as the title
Or pre-recored custom opens for each area with “9 News Canberra” / “9 News Central West” as the title (much more complicated)

2 Likes

Perhaps something like: “Across Canberra and Southern New South Wales, this is Nine News with Vanessa O’Hanlon” ??

I’d be surprised to see dots anywhere given the recent shift away from that look. It will be interesting to see what they do, will they draw attention to the local block or present it as a seamless bulletin? I think something based on the new titlecards could look okay, integrate some local imagery into the background and then have some animated globe elements swooshing around over the top (and create a national version as well to replace the horrible 5pm clouds).