Nine News Local

it’s a Saturday night with about 250,000 people watching, it’s not their market-leading Sunday flagship.

I would suggest that if Vanessa is unknown being a former breakfast TV host, then the same could be said for Fordham, despite his 2GB role.

If you’re going to get her across the NSW market, I think it makes sense to give her a Saturday role for 1-2 weeks in preparation.

1 Like

She doesn’t even need to be anchoring the 6pm bulletin. Could she be filling in on Weather on the weekend rather than Sophie Walsh? She could be out there reporting, get her doing lots of live crosses etc, fill in on daytime bulletins even? Just getting her out there, ASAP.

3 Likes

Caught a glimpse of Channel Nine filming a news promo in the Illawarra this morning. Also the Southern Cross logos on their fleet of cars have been replaced with the Nine logo.

9 Likes

Emma Larouche ‏@EmmaLarouche 18m18 minutes ago
A top of 37 in the capital today! We’re out filming for Nine Local News…coming soon #cbr #ninenews #canberra #local

7 Likes
5 Likes

Shame the report incorrectly claimed the local stories would be added into the Sydney bulletin, but, as the story alluded to, journalism is expensive, not as profitable as it once was, and standards have fallen.
On the plus side I still find this description amusing: “Bermuda-based billionaire Bruce Gordon”

2 Likes

And as per that article, Wagga reporter Priscilla Moca has reportedly jumped ship from Prime7 to Nine.

It’ll certainly be interesting to see how many more reporters from established regional news services move over…

2 Likes

It’s amazing how sparse Bruce’s Wikipedia page is. In comparison to Kerry Packer or Rupert Murdoch or similar, there really isn’t much info on him at all.

1 Like

What the new decal branding looks like for those interested. This was the initial design so I’m not sure if it has changed since then.

8 Likes

A great IV with Mike Lorigan, who will do sports in NSW for Nine News

http://influencing.com/au/story/reporter-mike-lorigan-joins-nine-local-news

3 Likes

There’s been quite a few articles and tweets referring to the new bulletins as “9 Local News” increasingly of late.

Yet the FB pages set up are “9 News Canberra” etc

I wonder what the on air branding will end up being, if the opener is done statewide and live it may be "9 Local News"
Or “9 News NSW” - and then the local “9 News Canberra” branding used to set up the local windows

Yeah I don’t like the sound of “9 Local News”; it suggests a WIN-like local news only bulletin rather than what they’re actually doing (a proper combined local/national/international bulletin), but I think it’s just sloppy unofficial terminology, so it’ll just be “9News Canberra”, etc.

2 Likes

I think the term 9 Local News is only temporary and refers to the entire brand because let’s be honest, it sounds better than 9 News regional, right? I am sure the 9 News Canberra term will be used for the bulletin.

Mmm… 2/2 presenters announced aren’t familiar to the current NSW viewers of the metro Politian bulletin.

How do we know for sure that every single viewer who currently watches Nine News Sydney in regional NSW is not aware of Vanessa O’Hanlon from her time on ABC News Breakfast?

Mike Lorigan? Yeah I agree that Southern NSW/ACT wouldn’t have heard of him since his previous regional TV presenting/reporting roles happened in Northern NSW (AKA NBN-land, where Nine News Sydney isn’t seen on terrestrial TV) but I’m sure that the network will build up the profile of both presenters over time.

Regardless of whether or not they’re currently household names, at least Nine is bringing in quality talent to present these bulletins. If I lived in Southern NSW or the ACT, I’d probably watch Vanessa & Mike on Nine News over the rather awkward Geoff Phillips and his interactions with fellow co-presenters on WIN or (in the case of the Central West & Riverina regions) Prime7 and it’s two bulletins! :thumbsup:

Another good thing is that the On-Air Presentation will most likely be closer to metropolitan standards rather than the tacky mid-2000s (or worse, 1990s) like standards from the competing stations.

3 Likes

Another car spotted in Kiama (south of Wollongong) today.

8 Likes

Is that the Kiama Fair carpark?

Canberra number plates

Sure is.

According to a rego check that vehicle is a 2011 model, with plates of a similar age. Is it a vehicle that SCA have previously in Canberra - not that they’d have had too many uses for vehicles with no local content?

QTQ’s news bulletin for the Gold Coast is named on-screen as “Nine Gold Coast News”, but the FB and Twitter pages are named “Nine News Gold Coast”.

I believe that metropolitan bulletins will be called “Nine News [city]”, but the regional bulletins will be “Nine [region] News” under the umbrella brand of “Nine Local News”. The slight name difference will help distinguish the local bulletins from the metro bulletins, but keeps the overall Nine News brand.

4 Likes