Nine News Local

Very few select UK regions have the ability to do this.

So BBC One South East has an opt-out point exclusively for residents in Oxford, which is kinda similar to QTQ-9 scenario on the GC, whereby the service is technically the same channel everywhere, but only residents in Oxford can see the Oxford programme; residents in other counties get the full South East news programme instead.

5 Likes

Looking at what 9News Sydney have been doing I think multiple openers should be easy to pre-record & edit to include reference to a local story (when appropriate) with the quick mention of the day’s other big news, and have the local brand (location in the red tag line “9News Canberra” at the start), and end with a location-specific voiceover intro in the pre-recorded opener (i.e. “9News Canberra with Vanessa O’Hanlon”) as it switches to live presentation.
I’ll be surprised if they don’t do it this way.
Nine may eventually change to a more generic voiceover intro (e.g. “9News with Vanessa O’Hanlon”), but I doubt that’d be any year soon.

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree with @TV-ACT.

I think they should use prerecorded openers in each marker, so that they can emphasise the top local stories. A voiceover of “this is 9 News Canberra” or “this is 9 News Cairns”, etc. would be good too I think.

In regards to the background.
I’d love to see them using a live shot for the whole bulletin, but that creates challenges in finding an image which can be used for the entire state.

For example, if they wanted to use a Townsville CBD live shot for the QLD bulletin, it’d contain a few high-rise buildings. This would be fine for other big markets in QLD, but would look out of place in a smaller city like Mackay or Bundaberg.

Given that, i think it’s more likely that they’d use a generic backdrop, but I hope they don’t, as I’ve never been a fan of the generic backdrops on news.

It could be useful if they were to do what 9 News Melbourne do and use the screen behind the presenter for full screen OTS graphics before stories.

Maybe they could do:

• generic image during opener and first story
  • full screen OTS like Melbourne for subsequent stories
  • local image during local window
  • full screen OTS again for statewide segment.
  • generic image during closer
3 Likes

In the future, If successful… I can see Canberra having its own standalone local bulletin. (Similar to 9 Gold Coast News)

3 Likes

Nine may well make enough from the ACT to be able to do so, and doing so would allow a greater reduction of the amount & priority of NSW stories in 9News Canberra.
It’ll be interesting to see how much NSW news is still in the Canberra bulletin when it starts, but the Canberra station has a reasonable number of viewers in NSW so they shouldn’t completely ignore NSW state politics, etc. (much as ABC News Canberra has been covering).

1 Like

6 Likes

So what’s going to happen to the noodle updates once these bulletins start? Are they going to fade out eventually?

You think it would be easy for a control room to live roll 4 different pre-recorded openers at once (Canberra, wagga, Wollongong and central west) and send them from TCN down to Canberra to have SCA split that out to four different regions and then cross dissolve into live presentation.

That sounds logistically like a nightmare to me. How many directors in a control room and how many vision switches and lines would
You need open to Canberra.

I would envisage that if such a thing were to happen, the openers would be sent to Canberra and played out in the same way that the local windows will be.

2 Likes

I really do hope they are replaced. 99% of those presenters should be sacked that are that bad.

5 Likes

I’d imagine that SCA will still produce “2 Minute Chicken Noodle Updates” for Ten Northern NSW, TDT Nine and possibly other regional stations which don’t get a full local news service.

For the SCA Nine regions of Queensland, Southern NSW/ACT and Victoria…I’d imagine that the current “Local News Headlines” updates (and any capital city Nine News updates) will be replaced by “Nine Local News” updates once the full bulletins start.

If you ask me, some of the “Local News Headlines” Update presenters would probably be better off as reporters rather than presenters.

2 Likes

we had Ali Drower last night.

Ali is the ONLY one I’ve seen that is good.

I will second that.

1 Like

Seven and Nine already broadcast local Gold Coast bulletins at 5.30 so there is no need for duplication at 6pm.

On the overlap question, I think they should choose one or the other.

1 Like

Provided that the overall revenue is greater than the overall increase in costs.

And which one is Vanessa?

Vanessa is wearing the red dress.

1 Like

Vanessa’s on a roadtrip at the moment - left Canberra for Wagga Wagga

2 Likes

Either way the same coordination & swapping in/out different pre-recorded pieces is happening; either at TCN in Sydney or at CTC in Canberra, so I’d think the timing will be easier to coordinate and adjust (especially when a major story is developing) in Sydney where the bulletin is being presented.