Nine News Local

Have you got confirmation that the Canberra edition will actually have their own presenters for the full bulletin? Whats not to say that they will continue to use Peter Overton with recorded openers for the local stories?

1 Like

didn’t the news director Mike Dalton say it’s going to be based off NBN News, and be a full composite hour of local, national and international?

NBN doesn’t do a Sydney news with local inserts - although I wish they would, it would be better quality

1 Like

…I’m off to get some popcorn. This thread is getting silly.

11 Likes

Regional bulletins will have their own presenters - three sets, one for each of the Eastern states. They will present a state-wide one hour regional news service 6-7pm consisting of state, national and international stories plus an 8 minute local window. Not sure if weather will be local or state-wide.

7 Likes

Surely I’m not the only one who thinks that the NBN News model is actually the right way to go for these new regional editions of Nine News?

Yes, Nine News Sydney is a high quality product but it’s a bulletin produced specifically for Sydney viewers which just happens to currently air in some regional areas. I somehow doubt that viewers in Wagga, Dubbo or Bathurst think that news reports about very Sydney centric, hyperlocal news like traffic pile-ups on the M5, suburban shootings and new developments in the Western suburbs are relevant to regional audiences, as much as they might be relevant to me and approximately 4-5 million other Sydneysiders.

While I’m sure there will be some initial sadness of losing the Sydney presenters, I think regional audiences are going to be better off in the long run by having a news service at 6pm which is made for a regional audience, rather than a Sydney audience.

Regional viewers are still going to get statewide, national and international news along with the addition of local stories. I have little doubt that you’ll also still see the most important stories from Sydney, but I doubt that any regional viewers will mourn the loss of largely irrelevant news reports like how the price of travelling on Sydney Trains is about to go up.

It’s also worth remembering that Nine themselves are going to be producing these bulletins for SCA which will probably equate to a higher quality, more watchable news bulletin than any regional network can do on their own.

Nine’s highly successful 6pm bulletins (especially in markets like Sydney and Melbourne) are worth too much money to the network. Especially with the ratings battle as it is now, Nine are not going to risk the possibility of alienating capital city viewers who might switch to Seven if the flow of Nine News is ruined just so there can be opt-out/in windows for regional areas.

And realistically I think we all know that NBN will most likely never air a Sydney-produced, Nine News branded bulletin at 6pm…at least not on a regular basis anyway.

11 Likes

These three news bulletins will be ripe for the chop if Nine needs to trim operating costs. Not saying Nine would drop the regional news, just cut the three extra full length bulletins sometime down the track and have an insert into the capital city news.

2 Likes

I hope this is okay for this thread

Because there are so many regional markets and sub-markets, all traditionally leaning to one network over the other, I think SCA Nine’s new news bulletins will perform better in some areas than others.

I predict a number of bulletins will get the axe after a few months too. Which hasn’t been uncommon for WIN & Prime Media either over the years.

SCA Nine’s strongest markets:

•Southern NSW (Wollongong will be very competitive with WIN obviously).

•QLD (however only with sport and some other programs, with Seven QLD dominating including local news).

2 Likes

I’ve always thought these would be a great addition to news bulletins here also.

I completely agree.
I’ve always wanted to be able to tune into the news and have the one bulletin with everything local and national that I need to know all in the one place, and I think this is the way to go in the modern era. People i’ve spoke to also seem to want to be able to tune in and have everything in one, so I think once people actually watch the bulletin they’ll like them. But the hard part will be getting them to tune in to start with.

3 Likes

@littlegezzybear @LukeMovieMan

I don’t think anything will getting the axe. A little early in calling for that don’t you think?

Nine is doing this because there is money in it, not out of the goodness of their heart. Nine knows a successful local news plays a cruicial role for setting up the evening and helps lift a station overall.

They know this is Sydney, -Adelaide, Perth and Darwin. No different in these markets.

Nine funds and produces a live and local news bulletin for Darwin 7 nights a week. Market population 125,000. And that is in no danger of going anywhere.

Of these there new Bulletins, the Queensland edition goes to 1.8 million people - that is much larger than the Adelaide market.

The SNSW/ACT bulletin and the VIC bulletin goes out to 1.3 and 1.1 million people respectively. Around the same size as the Adelaide bulletin going to 1.4 million.

There is money to be made here. These are all huge markets with over 1 million people.

Nine takes 50% of all ad revenue these bulletins generate. And the way they were able to get SCA to pony up the massive affiliate fee hike was agreeing to cover the cost of producing. That’s prob in the affiliation agreement. That’s how nine is paying for these - with all the extra SCA coin.

I don’t really see it any more likely the SNSW edition of 9 news will be axed more than the Adelaide edition. Both similar market sizes. And no doubt the SNSW edition will run on a budget half that of the Adelaide edition.

The local windows of 8 minutes a day for 15 markets would not add a huge cost.

Nine has shown with its massive investment in Perth that it is willing to invest in local news at smaller stations and keep investing even if it doesn’t rate that well.

Likewise Darwin. 1 hour live and local 7 days a week for a tiny market. If this investment didn’t pay off to them they wouldn’t do it

Also local live news is FTAs ONLY point or difference to the onslaught that is stan and Netflix. Nine are launching now and getting ahead with an investment to future proof.

This is about making money - not spending it

9 does local news for 20 years for the Gold Coast (600k) too - - much smaller market than the QLD (1.8m) SNSW (1.4m) and VIC markets (1.2m)

15 Likes

I commend you for typing that much, must have taken a while, well done.

I agree with and acknowledge your comments.

However, the facts are clear in some markets & I believe that is a justification for some predictions even before a new program begins (whether you think it is fair or not).

For example, regional VIC:

The market is dominated by Prime7.

SCA & WIN rate terribly there, no matter what program or how hard they try. It is just a tradition/viewing habit over many years I imagine.

With WIN having local bulletins there for years now (I have family in Bendigo who always watch the local news) & Prime7’s general dominance… You see what I am getting at? :confused:

(i.e.)
Nine and SCA do not want valuable money wasted, in what is already challenging conditions!

I think regional Vic is one of the areas that can get the biggest gains. Prime7, despite rating we’ll have no local news. WIN, well we all know what that product is like, despite Victoria being one of their better markets.
I think off the back of slightly better overall ratings than WIN, SCA9 are in a good place to pick up viewers. Especially when compared to SNSW and QLD markets where there are already 2 local news services in most markets.

5 Likes

Former WIN reporter Rosanna Kingsun is now with Nine News Regional

4 Likes

When 9 starts up the Orange local edition that will mean we will have 3 local news services in the area. Cant complain with that.

1 Like

That’s what you took away from his post?

That derisive, condescending comment demonstrates that you’re either unwilling or unable to consider a logical rebuttal of your perspective.

14 Likes

war of attrition you’d have to think. WIN likely the biggest loser?

Meanwhile Newcastle has one news service. Just think how much work they would have to do with NBN if Prime got started again.

Grab Melinda Smith or even Ray Dinneen and go to town with it.

3 Likes

hearing two interesting things

WIN was raided heavily by Nine
WIN reporters were the majority of applicants for the new roles

Speaks volumes

Get the people that are well known already and you’re halfway there

If they had any sense they’d throw the chequebook at 7 News Townsville reporter Vivien von Drehnen. An absolute gun reporter and should be capital city.

8 Likes

Personally, I’m much more worried about the future of WIN News rather than the new regional editions of Nine News. If reporters from WIN are defecting (we know of at least two who already have and I doubt they’ll be the only ones), that probably says something about the future of the news service at this now largely Ten-affiliated network.

I think it’ll be interesting to see who Nine has chosen to be the reporters in Wollongong (well, the wider viewing area consists of the Illawarra, South Coast & Southern Highlands but the service itself will probably be very skewed towards Wollongong, Nowra & surrounds): WIN’s home market. I could imagine the incumbent news service being very protective of it’s best talent…

As far as I can tell, Vivien von Drehnen is now a Brisbane-based reporter for Seven News…that’s a major capital city news service! :wink:

3 Likes

ah she has moved down - thank you!

Yes, the speculation game shouldn’t be about cancelling 9News bulletins which haven’t even started yet, but asking which WIN News bulletin will be cancelled first (even just because of the reduced viewership & revenue from being a Ten affiliate versus when they were with Nine).

2 Likes

Yeah id so Prime is in its home area here does well in the ratings.