Nine News Local

I don’t think WIN will cancel, but I would think if they cannot maintain their ratings it might shrink into a 15 minute insert into the 5pm news

2 Likes

A concern I have is that some of the more sensational things that annoy me with metro news will spread to the regions. Things like “First On”, various sweeps with sound effects, watermarks, starting the bulletin with “breaking news” that isn’t, pointless live crosses that achieve nothing etc. If for example you look at a 7QLD regional bulletin, this sort of thing is at a minimum, but if you compare that to 7 Gold Coast where it is up against 9, all these elements are in play as they are seen on 9 Gold Coast News.

5 Likes

Given the totally different branding I’m not so sure WIN will insert a local news bit into Ten Eyewitness News.

Yes well I expect 9News Canberra, etc. will have some of that nonsense for national stories but we’ll have to see how silly they get for the local stories (let’s hope it’s kept to a minimum).
Despite that, the combined local/national/international format is best (as someone mentioned earlier) because it avoids viewers having to put up with too much news which has no relevance to them.

3 Likes

I do think Jo Hall is a good bet for the regional bulletin in VIC.

Vanessa O’Hanlon less so for regional southern NSW, but she did build a solid profile over 8 years on ABC News.

2 Likes

Would that be because she’s a female news reading v-eteran who presented Nine’s flagship Melbourne bulletin for decades? Similar to Jennifer Keyte.

Oops. I forgot somebody put the “V” word on the blacklist.

3 Likes

Darwin as I understand it is full bulletin weeknights only.

Weekends is the Sydney bulletin with a Darwin insert for one block of news.

1 Like

hasn’t been like that for years, it’s a full 7 day a week service, and if they can do it for Darwin they should do it for Canberra.

3 Likes

Hast thou on thy own sword fallen?

1 Like

We really should see promos any day now. The Canberra launch is just 3 weeks and 3 days away.

Monday Feb 7.

5 Likes

However, the facts are clear in some markets & I believe that is a justification for some predictions even before a new program begins (whether you think it is fair or not).

For example, regional VIC:

The market is dominated by Prime7.

SCA & WIN rate terribly there, no matter what program or how hard they try. It is just a tradition/viewing habit over many years I imagine.

With WIN having local bulletins there for years now (I have family in Bendigo who always watch the local news) & Prime7’s general dominance… You see what I am getting at? :confused:

(i.e.)
Nine and SCA do not want valuable money wasted, in what is already challenging conditions!

@LukeMovieMan

9 News Perth is a distant third in Perth, yet Nine are pumping in more money they ever.

Ten News (in every city)_ gets woeful ratings yet they re not being axed (that we know)

1 Like

Despite the different timeslot, even Ten News can beat 9 News Perth and Adelaide.

[quote=“KICK-IT, post:313, topic:2086”]
We really should see promos any day now.
[/quote] I am expecting the promos to be of a high standard given I presume Nine will be producing them.

2 Likes

I disagree. WIN have a history of jumping straight to cancelling bulletins when they’re not performing to expectations, and I see that happening much more into the future as WIN bulletins slip into 3rd place for local news.

Yeah, i’m expecting to see all of this as well. Especially in QLD where the local news bulletins of 9 and 7 will be up against each other. It’ll likely be no different to 9’s graphics, etc. they use in capitals where they also compete with 7, in my opinion.

3 Likes

+fully agree i think the win local news are boring and im no longer watching them esp since they cover ballarat alot latley and nothing else

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that too, they seem to cover one particular city now

You know what? I am totally cool with WIN being the new SC Ten - a news-free, third rate network. The quality of their news bulletins have deteriorated so much the past few years. The way they run their news and their business in general is so archaic. They kind of deserve it.

As long as viewers have an alternative, I think it’s appropriate and a wise business decision for WIN to downsize their operations considerably. Let the networks who actually care about news take the reigns.

12 Likes

Totally agree, well said.

Agree 100%

Yes, I agree. Couldn’t have said it better myself.

WIN News really needs to relaunch and innovate in 2017, otherwise they’ll probably die against stronger competition.

3 Likes

I think for the average viewer they will struggle to know that their national 9 News is a different version to the capital city version, okay the presenter would of changed and the set might be slightly different but this can happen anyway with any station relaunching graphics, sets and getting new hosts. You would imagine the stories they run for the majority of the bulletin outside of the local windows will also be almost identical.

At least with Win and Prime local News services you know what it is without even paying attention you could be watching SC9 news for 15+ minutes before you notice that the service is not just national/state based news.

I’m not against the idea of 9 and Southern Cross but by using the same 9 News branding as the capital cities do it does not say local at all. They are going to struggle with the identity of this new news service under the 9 branding. Southern Cross has not helped to date as they make the station seem like a cheap capital city relay.

Don’t really follow the point you are trying to make.

TV brands are increasingly national. I’m an age of Netflix, Stan, 9Go, Facebook Live - there is no local TV branding anymore.

It’s channel 9 in Sydney, and Channel 9 in Wagga.

Therefore it’s “9 News” where ever you live.

Melbourne has no local TV branding, nor does Adelaide of Darwin.

Seven even got rid of the word “Local” on its news services in Queensland.

The idea is to have to same brand and same format news no mater where in the country you live, so all markets and viewers are treated equally

4 Likes