ABC TV - Programs and Schedules

###Week commencing 11 December

Sunday 11 December
7:40pm Joanna Lumley’s Japan
8:30pm Midsomer Murders: The Dagger Club Rpt
9:30pm Girl Asleep Premiere
Based on the critically acclaimed production by Windmill Theatre, Girl Asleep is a journey into the absurd, scary and beautiful heart of the teenage mind.
11:15pm The Darkside

Monday 12 December
8:00pm Back Roads: Mallacoota
8:30pm Restoration Man: Gazebo
9:20pm Running Wild: Australia’s Camels Premiere Special
Robyn Davidson, famous for her solo expedition across the west Australian deserts by camel in the 1970s, presents this documentary telling the story of Australia’s camels and the people who brought them here.
10:25pm Silent Witness

Tuesday 13 December
8:00pm Simply Nigella
8:30pm Rick Stein: From Venice To Istanbul
9:30pm The Book Club’s Five Of The Best Premiere Special
The Book Club bids farewell to the year with a festive hour-long special to celebrate and discuss some of 2016’s best books. Guests include C.S. Pacat, Michael Williams, with a live performance by Paul Kelly and Charlie Owen.

Wednesday 14 December
8:00pm Hard Quiz
8:30pm The Yearly With Charlie Pickering Premiere Special
2016 - the year of Brexit, Trump and the Budgie 9 - has outstayed its welcome. The Weekly’s Charlie Pickering, Kitty Flanagan and Tom Gleeson wrestle 2016 out of the party before it takes any more musical legends with it.
9:30pm Please Like Me
10:00pm Adam Hills: The Last Leg

Thursday 15 December
8:00pm Would I Lie To You?
8:30pm Doctor Foster Final
9:25pm Kevin McCloud’s Man Made Home
10:15pm No Offence

Friday 16 December
8:00pm A Taste Of Landline
8:30pm Vera
10:00pm Hard Quiz

Saturday 17 December
7:30pm Doc Martin Rpt
8:20pm Grantchester Rpt
9:05pm TBA

I wasn’t sure where to post this to the ABC topic, so I thought it would be okay here:

[quote=", post:1, topic:279, full:true"]
ABC is changing to HD

ABC main channel is making the transition to (HD) HIGH DEFINITION on December 6th 2016. Viewers with HD compatible TVs (with MPEG-4 functionality) will be able to experience ABC in spectacular HD, including this year’s New Year’s Eve fireworks.

Viewers without an HD compatible television will still be able to continue to watch ABC in standard definition on channel 2 and 21.[/quote]

More info, Q&A here and introduction video since it can’t be embedded here: http://about.abc.net.au/press-releases/abc-is-changing-to-hd/

Glad to see them beat Seven to the punch. And this year too when they were originally targeting next year! :slight_smile:

2 Likes
2 Likes

1 Like

###Sherlock Season 3

From Wednesday 4 January at 8:30pm

With London under threat from a terrorist attack, Sherlock is about to stage his outrageous resurrection.

First time in HD other than on Stan !

I do wonder if this is the last time Sherlock will air on ABC, given Stan has signed a deal with BBC Worldwide that it will get exclusive rights on future seasons of the show?

The show will not be shown tonight due to “late legal matter that needs to be resolved". The ABC says a new broadcast date will be announced soon.

Isn’t this the final season?

No,they finished filming season four in August it will premiere in UK/US on January 1 next year.

I’m sure I read that David Walliams and Friend was coming to the ABC perhaps for a Christmas special? Cannot find any info .

1 Like

###The Royal Variety Performance 2016

Sunday 25 December at 7.30PM

Comedian, actor and children’s author David Walliams hosts The Royal Variety Performance 2016 in the presence of Their Royal Highnesses, The Prince Of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, from one of the most iconic and well-loved live venues in the UK, the Eventim Apollo in Hammersmith.

David will introduce legendary performers Barry Gibb and Sting, superstars Gary Barlow and Robbie Williams, the award-winning Sheridan Smith and Emeli Sandé, plus this year’s magical Britain’s Got Talent winner Lance Corporal Richard Jones, and a number of sensational surprises.

The cast of The Beatles Cirque Du Soleil’s LOVE show will be flying in from Las Vegas for a special anniversary performance; there will also be sneak previews from the casts of Gershwin’s classic musical An American In Paris and Gary Barlow’s The Girls, both of which open in the West End early next year.

Diversity return to the stage where they first auditioned for Britain’s Got Talent and comedy talent includes Joe Lycett, Alan Davies and Rob Beckett.

More show-stopping numbers are provided by Amber Riley, star of the Tony award- winning musical Dreamgirls, One Republic, DNCE, ABC and McFly’s Tom Fletcher, who will be premiering his new book The Christmasaurus with an enchanting one off performance.

David said: “I’m very honoured and excited to be hosting the Royal Variety Performance. I was lucky enough to host back in 2012, so will be looking forward to another fabulous evening with huge talent”.

The event is staged in aid of the Royal Variety Charity (formerly the Entertainment Artistes’ Benevolent Fund), whose patron is Her Majesty, The Queen. The money raised from the show helps those people from the world of entertainment in need of care and assistance.

1 Like

###Week commencing 18 December

Sunday 18 December
7:40pm Joanna Lumley’s Japan
8:30pm Midsomer Murders: Habeas Corpus Rpt
10:00pm Call The Midwife: Christmas Special Rpt
11:15pm An Accidental Soldier

Monday 19 December
8:00pm Back Roads: Thursday Island
8:30pm Restoration Man: Sunday School, Harrogate
9:20pm Fukushima
ABC’s Mark Willacy revisits the people he met during his 5 years reporting on this century’s worst nuclear disaster. From the earthquake & subsequent tsunami to the ‘ghost towns’ of Ground Zero being reclaimed by nature.
10:20pm Silent Witness

Tuesday 20 December
8:00pm Simply Nigella Christmas Special
9:00pm Rick Stein: From Venice To Istanbul
10:00pm QI Christmas Special Rpt
10:35pm Silent Witness

Wednesday 21 December
8:00pm Hard Quiz Final
8:30pm Walliams And Friend Series Premiere
9:10pm QI Christmas Special Premiere Special
9:40pm Adam Hills: The Last Leg
10:25pm Ja’mie: Private School Girl
10:50pm Jonah From Tonga

Thursday 22 December
8:00pm TBA
8:30pm TBA
9:40pm Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries Rpt
10:35pm No Offence
11:25pm The 2015 Pub Quiz Rpt

Friday 23 December
10:00pm Hard Quiz

Saturday 24 December
7:30pm TBA
8:20pm Inspector George Gently Rpt
9:50pm Michael McIntyre’s Christmas Comedy Roadshow

###Week commencing 25 December

Sunday 25 December
7:20pm The Queen’s Christmas Message
7:30pm Royal Variety Performance 2016 Premiere Special
9:25pm The Queen At Ninety
10:55pm 20 Feet From Stardom

Monday 26 December
7:30pm Doctor Who: The Return of Doctor Mysterio Premiere Special
8:30pm Call The Midwife: Christmas Special Premiere
9:50pm The Agony Of Christmas
10:15pm Robbie Williams: One Night At The Palladium

Tuesday 27 December
7:30pm Big Ted’s Excellent Adventure: 50 Years Of Play School Rpt
8:30pm Simply Nigella
9:00pm Rick Stein: From Venice To Istanbul
10:00pm QI Christmas Special Rpt
10:35pm Silent Witness

Wednesday 28 December
7:30pm David Attenborough’s Great Barrier Reef: Builders Rpt
8:30pm Roald Dahl’s Esio Trot Rpt
10:00pm Adam Hills: The Last Leg Final
10:45pm Ja’mie: Private School Girl
11:10pm Jonah From Tonga

Thursday 29 December
7:30pm David Attenborough’s Great Barrier Reef: Visitors Rpt
8:30pm TBA
10:30pm No Offence

Friday 30 December
7:30pm David Attenborough’s Great Barrier Reef: Survival Rpt
8:30pm Vera: Ghost Position
10:00pm The Agony Of New Year’s Eve

Saturday 31 December
7:30pm The Yearly With Charlie Pickering
8:30pm New Year’s Eve: Family Spectacular
9:00pm New Year’s Eve: Family Fireworks
9:15pm New Year’s Eve
12:00am New Year’s Eve: Midnight Fireworks
12:15am rage: New Year’s Special

###Stephen Fry in Central America

From Tuesday 10 January 8:30pm

Episode One: Mexico

Stephen Fry explores Mexico travelling in his yellow American school bus. From cowboys and canyons larger than the Grand Canyon in Chihuahua, to donkey fiestas in abandoned silver mines. The great Aztec cities, their godlike salamander which can regrow any part of its body amaze, in Mexico City he takes part in a soap opera, and is moved to tears in a demonstration against the narco wars. Heading for the Pacific coast he is entranced by the migration of the Monarch butterfly and the courage of the Acapulco cliff divers.

###Would I Lie to You? At Christmas

From Thursday 22 December at 8:00pm

Rob Brydon is back in the host’s chair for a festive edition of the award-winning comedy panel show “Would I Lie to You?”. Rob is joined by the lightening-quick team captains, David Mitchell and Lee Mack.

###Week commencing 1 January

Sunday 1 January
7:30pm The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo Premiere Special
The 2016 Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo is a truly international event featuring acts & performers from around the world, marking Her Majesty the Queen’s 90th Birthday, performed in front of the majestic Edinburgh Castle.
9:00pm Midsomer Murders: The Incident At Cooper Hill
10:30pm Mademoiselle C

Monday 2 January
7:30pm 7.30 Return
8:00pm Back Roads: Katanning
8:30pm Four Corners Rpt
9:25pm Fake Or Fortune
10:25pm Silent Witness

Tuesday 3 January
8:30pm Simply Nigella Final
9:00pm Rick Stein: From Venice To Istanbul Final
9:30pm David Beckham: Into The Unknown
11:10pm Silent Witness

Wednesday 4 January
8:00pm QI: Kitchen Sink
8:30pm Stop Laughing This Is Serious: Faark, Faark
9:30pm TBA
10:30pm Ja’mie: Private School Girl
11:00pm Jonah From Tonga

Thursday 5 January
8:00pm Would I Lie To You?
8:30pm Grand Designs
9:20pm Restoration Man:
10:10pm No Offence

Friday 6 January
10:00pm Slow Train Through Africa with Griff Rhys Jones
10:50pm Adam Hills: The Last Leg

Saturday 7 January
7:30pm Doctor Thorne
8:20pm Grantchester
9:10pm Grantchester
10:00pm Inspector George Gently

##abc summer highlights

The festive fun kicks off with ABC iview’s Binge on the Best of Australian Comedy featuring some of Australia’s best comedians and actors in shows that will keep audiences laughing. These include (amongst many others) Josh Thomas’ Please Like Me (all 4 series), Luke McGregor and Celia Paquola’s loveable new comedy Rosehaven, Shaun Micallef’s unique political comedy The Ex-PM, side-splitting satirical kitchen comedy The Katering Show (both series) plus two new series Fancy Boy and Wham Bam Thank You Ma’am will premiere.

Wrapping up 2016, Charlie Pickering, Tom Gleeson and Kitty Flanagan dissect the year with their trademark caustic humour in The Yearly with Charlie Pickering. A range of Christmas specials will delight audiences including the convivial Steven Fry in the QI Christmas Special (his last ever!), the comic Would I Lie to You? Christmas Special, festive feasts in the Simply Nigella Christmas Special, Father Brown Christmas Special, Call the Midwife Christmas Special and on Christmas Day the star studded 2016 Royal Variety Performance with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. On Boxing Day, Dr Who fans will receive a belated present with Dr Who: The Return of Doctor Mysterio and The Power of The Daleks on ABC iview.

If you just want to escape it all, Robyn Davidson narrates a remarkable new Australian documentary looking at the story of camels first bought into the country for the Burke and Wills expedition in the 1860’s whose descendants continue to populate our deserts, in Running Wild: Australia’s Camels. And lovers of Australian stories will delight in the AACTA Award nominated coming of age film Girl Asleep based on the critically acclaimed play which premieres in December. Other premiere summer titles include the entertaining travel special Stephen Fry in Central America, the absolutely fabulous Joanna Lumley’s Japan, David Walliams first sketch show since Little Britain Walliams and Friends, and everyone’s favourite, Kevin McCloud, returns in a new four-part series of Grand Designs Living in the City / Wild / Suburbs / Country.

For the young at heart, ABC2 Sunday Best returns with a spotlight on the web with We Steal Secrets: The Story of Wikileak and new series Stupid Man, Smart Phone which asks “can you survive the most remote locations in the world using only your mobile phone?”. And you can dial up your Christmas cheer factor with Ricky Gervais Live and a special Christmas episode of Live at the Apollo. Music lovers will find a happy home on ABC2 from Christmas Day onwards. Tune in for the premiere of a new documentary Queen: From Rags to Rhapsody followed by an encore of Queen: Live at the Odeon. On Boxing Day we showcase the Rolling Stones with The Stones in Exile and Ladies and Gentlemen: The Rolling Stones and an encore of the magical Crowded House: Live at Sydney Opera House.
Finally, not to be missed is the 2016 Family Fireworks and Midnight Fireworks. Broadcast live from Sydney, available for the first time this year in spectacular HD and live on ABC iview.

Full list of summer programs and TX dates for ABC, ABC2 and ABC iview

ABC
Would I Lie To You? New Series - Thursday 1 December at 8pm
Joanna Lumley’s Japan Series Premiere - Sunday 4 December at 7.40pm
Glenn Murcutt: Spirit of Place Premiere -Tuesday 6 December at 9.30pm
Girl Asleep Premiere - Sunday 11 December at 10pm
Running Wild: Australia’s Camels Premiere - Monday 12 December at 9.20pm
The Book Club’s Five of the Best Special - Tuesday 13 December at 9.30pm
The Yearly with Charlie Pickering Special - Wednesday 14 December at 8.30pm
Simply Nigella Christmas Special Premiere - Tuesday 20 December at 8pm
QI Christmas Special Premiere - Wednesday 21 December at 8.30pm
Wallams and Friends Premiere - Wednesday 21 December at 9.10pm
Would I Live To You? Christmas Special Premiere - Thursday 22 December at 8pm
Father Brown Christmas Special Premiere - Saturday 24 December at 7.30pm
2016 Royal Variety Performance Premiere - Sunday 25 December at 7.30pm
Dr Who: The Return of Doctor Mysterio (Christmas Special) - Monday 26 December at 7.30pm Premiere
Call The Midwife Christmas Special Premiere - Monday 26 December at 8.30pm
NEW YEAR’S EVE 2016 Exclusive - Saturday 31 December from 8.35pm
Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo 2016 Premiere - Sunday 1 January at 7.30pm
Grand Designs: Living In The… Specials Series Premiere - From Sunday 8 January at 7.40pm
Stephen Fry in Central America Series Premiere - Tuesday 10 January at 8.30pm
Australian of the Year 2017 Exclusive - Wednesday 25 January at 7.30pm

ABC2
All New Penn and Teller New Series - Saturday 3 December at 7.30pm
Stupid Man, Smart Phone New Series - Wednesday 7 December at 8.30pm
Candidate Games Special - Wednesday 7 December at 9.20pm
My Mania and Me Premiere - Wednesday 7 December at 9.50pm
Wham Bam Thank You Ma’am Series Premiere - Thursday 8 December at 9.30pm with all episodes available immediately on iview
Fancy Boy Series Premiere - Thursday 8 December at 10pm with all episodes available immediately on iview
Archer series 6 New Series - Tuesday 13 December at 10.10pm
Opening Shot: The End of the Line Premiere - Wednesday 14 December at 9.20pm
Mr Posh: Million Dollar Fraudster Premiere - Wednesday 14 December at 9.50pm
Queen: Rags to Rhapsody Premiere - Sunday 25 December at 8.30pm
Stones in Exile Special - Monday 26 December at 8.30pm
Ladies and Gentlemen: The Rolling Stones Special - Monday 26 December at 9.30pm
Leonard Cohen: I’m Your Man Special - Monday 26 December at 11pm
Joy Division Special - Tuesday 27 December at 11.05pm
Raw Nerve Short Films Premiere - from Monday 2 January to Friday from 10.30pm
Tattoo Disasters UK New Series - Tuesday 10 December at 8.30pm
How To Build A Human Special Premiere - Wednesday 18 January at 9.15pm
Red Dwarf New Series - Thursday 19 January at 9.40pm
Reggie Yates Inside the Billionaire’s Wardrobe Special - Monday 23 January at 9.30pm

ABC iview
BINGE ON THE BEST COMEDY SEASON From December 8th
• Rosehaven
• Please Like Me series 1 – 4
• Wham Bam Thank You Ma’am
• Fancy Boy
• The Ex -PM
• Sammy J and Randy in Ricketts Lane
• The Katering Show series 1 and 2
• Soul Mates series 1 and 2
• It’s a Date series 1 and 2
• ABC Comedy Showroom including Ronny Chieng International Student and The Letdown

OTHER ABC IVIEW TITLES
Goober Digital First - Monday 26 December
Lost in Pronounciation Digital First - Monday 26 December
Almost Midnight Digital First - Monday 26 December
Doctor Who: The Power of the Daleks Series Premiere - Monday 26 December

My dad was whingeing about how I buggered the TV up and turned off closed captions (which I did not) a few days ago, and it looks like he’s not alone!

###Grand Designs Specials

From Sunday 8 January at 7:40pm

Living in the City - Sunday 8 January at 7:40pm

Kevin McCloud draws on 15 years of Grand Designs and the astonishing homes that have been filmed in this time to look at the challenges of self-building in the city. Kevin reveals which designs work best and why.

Living in the Wild - Sunday 15 January at 7:40pm

Kevin McCloud looks at the challenges of self-building in the UK’s most remote places, Where beautiful landscape often meets savage weather.

Living in Suburbia - Sunday 22 January at 7:40pm

Kevin McCloud looks at how self-builders in the UK suburbs are transforming this most maligned of residential environments.