Wollongong Radio

I wonder why 22 songs?

Advertising it as “96 minutes of non stop music” would be more meaningful.

2 Likes

One problem with that is that the music log on Wave FM is also shared on other ARN Regional stations which don’t necessarily broadcast on around the 96 MHz frequency. For example, 94.9 Power FM just down the road has a “20 Song Marathon” at the same time, which is two songs less than Wave’s, but still…

I would think they would just need to move the ad breaks around to fit, as they don’t play the songs at exactly the same time (in my experience).

2 Likes

Correct - easily done in Zetta too.

1 Like

ABC Illawarra’s stereo pilot is now back on again.

2 Likes

WaveFM CD Barry Keohane has got some good tactics & promos running in comparison to the number one i98.

Meanwhile, looking at i98, they have:

Unfortunately, WaveFM still need a LOT of work with their current music situation. They’ve got the right positioner, but I would skew a little more towards targeting the older market (becoming much more similar to Star104.5).

2 Likes

Unfortunately while the one playlist fits all markets approach stays in place Wave fm won’t be able to compete affectively with i98.
If ARN allowed Wave fm to have their own logs and program to that market they may rate better. Basically they are going into a boxing match with one arm tied behind their back.

BTW does anyone know what is going on with the proposed 2ST Kiama translator on 88.5mhz at Saddleback Mountain.

ACMA made the frequency available but the licence hasn’t been granted. I wonder with the ARN takeover it has been put on the back burner???

3 Likes

Is it just me, the reception of 102.9 2ST seems to be getting weaker and weaker?

Now struggling to receive it on the car radio except for the good spots.
I have had a new wall socket installed f connector for the tv / fm dx setup which has improved reception considerably for everything else but still no hint of 2ST. It is either the noise floor or Triple M Newcastle.

I wonder when the new transmitter will be installed so they can return to full power.
Let us know if you hear anything @RFBurns

4 Likes

Not sure, from what I was told it shouldn’t be too much longer before install & sounded like the transmitter was on it’s last legs, so maybe it is getting weaker?

I haven’t been told but ARN might be awaiting shipment of a new Nautel VX Series transmitter for 102.9 2ST which I believe a big shipment of them for various parts around the world are about to leave the factory?

Highland FM 107.1 have just installed one of the brand new (just released) Nautel VX series transmitters, a VX 600 & it’s the first of the VX model to go to air in Australia, maybe ARN are waiting on theirs arriving?

5 Likes

The activation of their RDS would have been when their new transmitter went live.

3 Likes

Aren’t most transmiiters ugly looking things? I’ve never seen a beauty contest for one.

I quite like them, I have seen them in the flesh, seen inside them & touched one, they are very easy to work on/repair if needed & personally I like the look much better than the VS Series.

VS Series only had 3 power levels too, 300W (more or less just an exciter), 1kW & 2.5kW, the new VX Series have 11 power levels in rack mount from 150W to 6kW. The VX up to 2kW uses less space than the 1kW VS, & the 3-6kW VX’s only use 1RU more space than the 2.5kW VS.

To be honest, the VS & VX might work similarly, but as for ease of use, repair & redundancy the VX crap all over the VS & I’d take a VX over a VS every day of the week.

4 Likes

Is this the one?

https://www.nautel.com/products/fm-transmitters/vx-series/
IMG_1302

Yes

Only a radio nerd like me would ask this. I hear on 2ST 102.9 something about Robertson on an ad for the Ian Holland’s breakfast show (local on 102.9 Highlands), now question, would the reception at Robertson on 91.7 FM be better than 102.9 FM? What would the normal non-radio nerd tune into with the best reception for 2ST?

2 Likes

Pay Your Bills… now this:

96.5 WAVE FM’s THE ELIMINATOR - Wave FM

If WaveFM keep up this consistency in bigger local tactics, then i98 had better start looking over their shoulder.

Yes, Wave’s weakness is still their music. But with clever programming & promo strategies, it just could help to give them the boost in ratings that they need.

Good work Barry.

i98fm warned listeners of a two-car crash down at Moruya during it’s 8.30am newsbreak!

I think they’re trying to claim the entire South Coast now. :stuck_out_tongue:

The reception of 2ST on 91.7 is better in Robertson. I used to travel to Bowral for work and would listen to 2ST in the car most days. If you’re heading east, the signal of 2ST on 102.9 starts to drop out once you enter the town itself and it becomes unlistenable by the time you get to the pie shop near Jamberoo Mountain Road. It used to be frustrating for me having to change from 102.9, to 91.7, and then resorting to i98fm by the time I got to Macquarie Pass. :stuck_out_tongue:

When it comes to whether locals listen to 2ST on 91.7 or 102.9, in my experience, people tend to switch between the two as the signals can be touch-and-go. One of my former workmates lived not too far from Robertson and he would listen to 2ST on 91.7 in the work vehicle. The Robertson Inn used to play 2ST on 102.9 in it’s bistro area. It’s been a few years since I’ve been in there, but I would imagine they still would.

5 Likes

I don’t know that any South Coasties would have heard that on i98 as realistically (in my experience) reception tails off between Ulladulla and Batemans Bay (unless you are right on the coast or up on a hill).

3 Likes

Yep. It would honestly have to be one of the most bizarre things I’ve heard on the radio.

They’ve always reported on incidents or traffic accidents which occur in the Nowra area (which I can understand), but even if they were trying to cater to the people who live in the Shoalhaven, I highly doubt there would be too many people from Nowra, Ulladulla etc. who would travel down to Moruya for work.

Moruya itself is about a two and a half hour drive from Wollongong! If someone from the Illawarra wanted to travel down there, it’s far enough away that you could stay down there overnight. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Moruya is even outside the licence area of 94.9 Power fm. It is in the 2EC / Power fm licence area. It seems weird that they would mention it unless it was a very bad crash, highway closed, delay travel etc.

Re 2ST I have also found 91.7 2ST much better in Robertson, pretty much from Burrawang West with LOS to the Gib that 102.9 2ST is the strongest.

If only they were at Knights Hill on either 102.9 or 91.7 with the same specs as 94.9 Power fm.
They would have a much better signal across the region with the exception of Gerringong , and Mittagong which is shaded by the Gib.

4 Likes