WIN News 1989-2001

didn’t they already mimic the spinning globe graphics or is that not the point?

1 Like

Pondering this, it also wouldn’t be a surprise if the state background was a VIC News-ish element up there too, that just got carried over without any real change for a while. I guess the absolute minimum they may have had to do with the changeover was to replace some of the logos on the back wall with WIN logos and there you go. (The copyright notice right at the end does have parallels with the Nine Melbourne look of the time, which still looks alien to me as someone from Sydney where they never really used that typeface on Nine Sydney)

I still miss that closer music, the instrumental version of one of their earlier news promos (there were brief vocals for it but that seems a tough find online). WIN used to use it as a background for their mid-evening weather updates in NSW too, and certainly it worked as a calm background for the minute and a half versions they had in the Central West/Riverina regions (eg. in 1999: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a960o1ZS84). [I believe they did *not* use this for the weather updates in Victoria going by some of the things I’ve seen.]

The music they switched to to end their bulletins for the past couple of decades just seems… I mean it’s one of those things that may make sense in Wollongong or Canberra, but given my perspective of having grown up watching WIN through the lens of MTN (which did take the aforementioned weather updates through WIN before they became WIN themselves, while doing their own news obviously - probably why I associate the other theme more with the weather segment!), when all you’re reporting on is downtown Dubbo or Wagga or Griffith, using something like “Steel” (their current closer) seems a bit :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Final WIN News Tasmania at 6pm prior to introduction of Six O’Clock 30/6/00:

First Six O’Clock local news 3/7/00:

First WIN News Tasmania at new time of 6.30 3/7/00:

Tom Payne’s final WIN News Tasmania bulletin 22/12/00:

5 Likes

Great finds, how long did Six O’Clock last for? I think the theme choice was dreadful, boring.

1 Like

It was around for a few years. It was a hyper local bulletin with separate versions recorded for Northern Tasmania and Southern Tasmania. It was called ‘Six O’clock’… then "Six O’Clock Local News’… then finally ‘Win Local News’ before being shelved and returning to the composite Win News bulletin.

4 Likes

They did change the theme back to the regular National Nine News theme after a while.
The added in a v/o too “this is six o’clock in today’s local news”.

2 Likes

Correct.

1 Like

As an example uploaded of how Six O’Clock looked after being retooled and with the NNN theme having been returned to it (albeit with some sound effects added by WIN to differentiate it from the 6.30 edition) - this an end-of-year bulletin given the mention of Hobart City’s previous “Taste of Tasmania” food festival (now “Tasmania’s Taste of Summer” under different organisers) which generally straddles New Year…

but the video is undated so it could’ve been at the end of 2001 rather than 2000… how long exactly did Six O’Clock last in its second format before becoming WIN Local News anyway?

If they were attempting to turn Six O’Clock into a lighter newsmagazine type thing (for instance, like how much of the ITV Local Newses ended up turning into), then the theme would be fine, but I’m not sure people actually would have wanted that, as opposed to sorta demoting Tasmanian news into a sorta second class thing - I guess it would’ve been a point of difference to try and break down Southern Cross’ dominance but I’m not sure it would’ve been a point that Tasmanians would’ve exactly wanted.

1 Like

Well, it ultimately failed. By trying to take on SC with a new brand which was unfamiliar with audiences they should have mirrored the mainland by calling it WIN Local News from the get go… you could go around in circles on this one, either way we all know how it ends for Win’s news output.

1 Like