Viewer Access Satellite Television (VAST)

Magic.

6 Likes

Thanks scoop! :thinking: :rofl:

You could probably get more space for other channels by merging each operator’s services onto one channel. Repeating each bulletin from 7pm through a 3-4 hour block until the next day.
401 WIN Queensland
402 WIN NSW and Updates
403 WIN Victoria and Tasmania
404 Nine Regional Queensland
405 Nine NBN News and Darwin
405 Nine Southern NSW
406 Nine Victoria
407 Seven Regional Queensland and SC Seven Bulletins
408 Prime 7 Northern NSW
409 Prime 7 Southern NSW
410 GWN7 and Local Updates

Probably could be done better but it’s a shot in the dark.

3 Likes

You must be a flat earther.

6 Likes

This is probably how it will end up looking if they review and downsize the service. It will be a shame for the people who have to wait til 10pm to watch their local bulletin though!

Has anyone ever heard of Faith FM? It has recently been added to VAST’s radio bouquet, but I can’t seem to find any local information about them (except overseas stations that go by that name)

Edit: Found them on Facebook. Man, some companies really need to improve their Google rankings.

1 Like

I think it is another Seventh-day Adventist radio network:

2 Likes

Indeed, it is. They also take some of their content from 3ABN Radio (who they’re an affiliate of), but they’re different to 3ABN International on the TV side.

This time last year, I was at the Hotel Coronation in the Sydney CBD for an ale or two and discovered a nice surprise to be watching the cricket on Imparja (Tests from Nine) and BBL on Ten Central.

Now that Seven have the rights, I went back there tonight hoping to see it on Seven Central, but alas out looks like they have it on FOX now.

Curses!!!

1 Like

Damn Fox Sports and their stupid high definition cricket experience!

I wonder why the hotel has access to Imparja? :shushing_face::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

It looks to be in a black spot somewhat as it’s shielded on all four sides pretty much by taller buildings.

Either that or someone has sourced a card for an alternate address (the usual means of obtaining it illegitimate).

1 Like

or getting a travellers rego and renewing it every 6 months

2 Likes

In Sydney though, you’d think they’d at least rely on the Foxtel satellite retransmissions of the FTA channels if the terrestrial reception isn’t good.

2 Likes

but you’d have to pay for that and the commercial rates for fox are extraordinary - my local dive bar paid $5k for the mundine / horne fight

2 Likes

But they’ve already got FOX Sports, so using those retransmissions of free to air shouldn’t cost any extra?

1 Like

not every pub carries fox. the one above we were talking about was showing cricket on Imparja.

theres a pub near me that only carries sky and nothing else

1 Like

That one in the Sydney CBD with Imparja (Hotel Coronation) also has FOX Sports

Additional funding for satellite television service

Minister for Regional Services Senator Bridget McKenzie today announced $10 million in additional funding to secure the Viewer Access Satellite Television Service (VAST) for regional Australians until 2021.

VAST provides commercial and national television services free-to-air to around 500,000 Australian viewers in regional Australia, including 30,000 travellers.

“Many Australians living in our regions rely on this service, and the Government’s investment will provide the peace of mind that their service will continue,” Minister McKenzie said.

“Television is a vital entertainment and information service that all Australians should have access to.”

“VAST ensures that regional Australians can receive reliable free-to-air television broadcasts so that we can all share and participate in cultural, education and social experiences.”

The VAST service also covers some metropolitan areas where terrestrial transmission services are not able to be economically provided by broadcasters.

The Government today also released the 2018 review of the VAST service, which includes the key recommendation that the service should continue to be provided through the current satellite delivery model.

VAST has been operating since 2010, as part of the national switchover to digital television. The $10 million in additional funding will add to more than $127 million in funding committed to the service since 2010. VAST is also supported by contributions from broadcasters.

The VAST Review is available at: https://www.communications.gov.au/documents/review-viewer-access-satellite-television-vast-service-final-report

2 Likes

Good to see they’re keeping the platform. However, I’ve got a bad feeling that this $10 million will just keep the engine ticking and nothing more.

1 Like

What would the alternative be if VAST was to fail? Streaming? Is that reliable on satellite connections?

1 Like

Yes, sounds like an expensive service to run…