TV History - Questions

Would anyone happen to know if the iconic ‘Move Closer to Your World’ theme was used on Eyewitness News in Melbourne before the switchover from 0 to 10 in 1980?

2 Likes

They were in November 1979 according to this 40 Years Ago This Week: Bruce Mansfield and Annette Allison's last Eyewitness News - The 3AW Archive - Omny.fm
Source: The 3AW Archive

4 Likes

the OG Eyewitness News newsreaders for me :wink:

Their axing from the news was brutal (although they both stayed with the channel for years to come), and there was a bit of instability for a few months but Ten News did emerge a lot stronger in the long term.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Sports Broadcasting History

9c474df3976e10f469a44786f3a6e3fe39c39963_2_280x157
1ac2d4bf1cc94c1ebfe8e7d73969c7945d5e1742_2_280x157
7167eda6417466acbb9ac6d20a03cdf6c77abd57_2_280x157
d036b584679339f7528fda72be471467c3f709a9_2_280x157

3 Likes

The actors pictured are Zachary Gordon and Robert Capron.

1 Like

Ok, this is a bit of a random question but does anyone know how much content the Free to air networks would have been getting before the days of multi-channels and catch-up tv? How much more would they get now compared to back then?

If your referring to US content, a lot more back then as the FTA networks used to own at least 2 major output deals with the US content distributors.

Ironically around the same time they introduce multichannels they start dumping their output deals.

4 Likes

This is a question about Extra that I have been meaning to ask for some time: I think Extra launched on 1 July 2013 in Adelaide, and 30 September 2013 in Perth. I even added that information to Wikipedia. Now, what time did the channel actually launch in those two cities, as a result of Nine’s takeover of NWS and STW, with references to prove it?

1 Like

so you’re admitting to lying on the wiki and are now trying to find references to back it up?

4 Likes

@foxyrover, I was trying to add references to the channel’s article this morning: Extra (Australian TV channel) - Wikipedia, but did not find any references specifically related to the channel coming to Adelaide and Perth.

1 Like

When I went to the Gold Coast over the 1985 and 1986 Christmas holidays, the Channel 9 news theme seemed more hi-fi than in Melbourne. Was this because the Brisbane studios were much closer to the Brisbane transmitter than in Melbourne (e.g. maybe 9 Brisbane didn’t need a microwave link to the transmitter)? Or was it a different recording of the theme? Or another reason?

NOTE: In both the Gold Coast and Melbourne, this was received from the main VHF transmitter (Brisbane vs Melbourne).

1 Like

Distance from studio to transmitter has nothing to do with it. It’s all to do with how the audio processing is set up.

2 Likes

Perhaps the TV might have made a difference. Better quality speakers?

1 Like

True, but I thought that maybe the link between the Brisbane’s studios and the transmitter involved less steps and therefore had less audio quality reduction. The Brisbane studios and transmitter are both on Mt. Coot-Tha, while the studios in Melbourne are 10’s of Kms away from the transmitter at Mt. Dandenong. I thought that maybe they needed a Microwave link in Melbourne but not in Brisbane.

I heard the news theme on the same model TV at my cousin’s place in Melbourne and it still sounded better in the Gold Coast.

1 Like

The answer well may be that Melbourne and Brisbane had different versions of the theme (they had different owners as well). Nothing to do with distance. The best examples I can give of that era are here:

The closing themes however were identical.

1 Like

Thanks @digitaldan. Looks like the Melbourne one is more compressed into a lower dynamic range. That’s my non-professional opinion.

1 Like

Hi TV nerds- I’m from the radio section.

I was wondering what religious content requirements applied to commercial television in the 80s and early 90s? I sometimes watch retro commercials/PSAs on YouTube; the religious messages declined sometime in the early 90s, probably after the passage of the BSA in 1992 which did away with religious content requirements.

Was there something that stipulated religious messages in children’s programming, too? The infamous ‘three pockets in my overalls’ PSA seemed to air in kids shows.

Starting from about the mid 90s, religious content is/was pretty much confined to the early morning hours.

I know that for radio, religious content requirements were phased out entirely by 1992 and possibly earlier than that. 2CH kept its religious messages as part of the conditions of purchase from the Council of Churches.

3 Likes

And thank god we don’t have to watch them anymore!

2 Likes

Regional stations still aired them into the late 90’s (along with community service announcements) to fill slots when they couldn’t sell air time - even in primetime!

2 Likes