TV History - Questions

My question arose from the fact that from time to time Nine air Impractical Jokers late at night - then again it probably is only filler TV

I want to ask here, #myfriends and @myfriend - don’t take this to the “question thread”:

Do each of GWN’s station (SSW/VEW/VAW/GTW) carrying seperate commercials and news - and did they did that previously ???

Not sure - don’t think so (I’ve seen the same ads in Albany, Busselton and Geraldton) and no. GWN has a statewide bulletin unlike Prime or WIN.

There’s just not enough things happening in regional WA to fill a full half hour of news/not a lot of people in regional WA to warrant multiple regional bulletins. most other regions have more population than the whole of regional WA.

1 Like

Nobody watched them?

3 Likes

Yes, GWN7 has 3 separate channels loosely based on their original stations. The internal names for these channels are GWN7 GSW (SSW), GWN7 GAW (GSW+VEW combined), and GWN7 GNW (GTW). The only difference between the three channel is commercial advertising. The local news is the same. Also, VAST satellite viewers are granted access to whichever channel is closest to their registered location.

4 Likes

Hopefully this is the right thread to ask those obscure questions about things like when different logos and On-Air Presentation packages were introduced. I’ve probably got quite a few (especially pre-2000), but will start off with what is hopefully a relatively easy one.

Does anyone know exactly when in March 1993 this SBS logo would’ve been introduced?
SBS1993

The reason I ask is because this clip from GreenYoshi93 has recently surfaced (from the start to the 4:43 mark, with clips from a 19/12/1993 recording following that) with what appears to be a recording from 2/3/1993 with the older 1985-93 style logo.

By March 20, 1993 (thanks to FLEMISHDOG for this upload), the 1993-2008 logo was in use.

2 Likes

I would like to know too :wink: I’ve only narrowed it down to March

1 Like

Actually when were BTV and GMV began sharing program, @myfriend ???

Also:

How the heck they can put translator’s logos/idents on the screen actually, @myfriend ???

4th of December 1988 and it was a year to the date later if I recall that they changed to VIC TV

2 Likes

No, I don’t mean “relay”, I mean “sharing program aggrement”.

I think they became part of the same company (Associated Broadcasting Services) in the late 1970s

3 Likes

Wait… Did BTV11 carried anything (local news opt-out exclusively for that region, local programming,…) else different from BTV6, #myfriend ???

Also, did that a case for BCV11 ???

YEAR #myfriend ???

1 Like

When did SES8 went into “program supply/sharing argreement” with BTV6/GMV6, @Bronson #myfriend ???

Wait… Did BTV11 carried anything (local news opt-out exclusively for that region, local programming,…) else different from BTV6, #myfriend ???

No, despite the minor licensing difference, I seem to recall there was still some legislative requirement that meant BTV10 Hamilton (11 was Portland) and BCV11 Swan Hill could only show the same program as their parent licensees, and still remain compliant with the “Two station” rule. This legislation was altered in the lead up to Aggregation, as otherwise all of the Aggregation licensees would have been in breach of the broadcasting act.

2 Likes

When did SES8 went into “program supply/sharing argreement” with BTV6/GMV6, @Bronson #myfriend ???

As far as I know, there was no official program/supply/sharing agreement. There was joint national sales representation with BTV/GMV. That is the sales reps in Melbourne & Sydney for BTV/GMV to seek national advertisers also sold on behalf of SES. There was also a link from BTV to SES from the late 70’s.

As the link from BTV would have been the cheapest option to receive delivery of programs, this probably had an impact on some of the programming decisions made, like taking HSV’s , then later GTV’s news, as per BTV.

1 Like

Random question came into my head today…
When did each network switch news production from 4:3 to 16:9? Who was the last one to do it of the majors, and how much variation existed between the 5 capital cities?

The regionals are a bit of a trickier question to answer I imagine due to the sheer amount of time markets like WA Regional were stuck with 4:3 analogue.

1 Like

Good question. I’m not 100% sure about the other metro markets, but to the best of my knowledge about Sydney…

*Ten started producing Sydney/national bulletins in widescreen sometime in Early 2000 (Probably whenever the graphics were changed from the teal look to the blue look?), many months before the launch of Digital TV.
*Nine started producing Sydney/national news bulletins in widescreen on 1/1/2001…or sometime shortly before/after that. I’d imagine GTV & QTQ would’ve upgraded to 16.9 news production at or around the same time as TCN, but no idea about Adelaide & Perth which weren’t network O&O markets at that time.
*Seven took until August 2004 and the move to Martin Place for their Sydney-based news bulletins to be produced in widescreen. Seven News was running 16.9 production in Melbourne (first market to switch with the move to Docklands AFAIK), Brisbane, Adelaide & Perth before then though.

If I’m not mistaken, SBS produced news bulletins in widescreen (2004?) before the ABC. Probably took until the 2005 relaunch for the ABC to start doing news in 16.9 everywhere?

As far as the regional networks are concerned, either NBN or Southern Cross Tasmania (not 100% sure exactly which one, aside from the fact both were in 16.9 quite early) would’ve been the first in regional Australia to start producing news bulletins in widescreen in 2003 or sometime around then.

Seven Queensland switched to widescreen in 2007 (I think), WIN upgraded in 2008/09, Prime Southern NSW probably as the presentation of bulletins moved to Canberra and a similar deal with Southern Cross GTS/BKN.

GWN7 would’ve been the last regional bulletin to go widescreen in Late 2012, while Prime7 Tamworth/North Coast was probably the penultimate regional news service to upgrade.

3 Likes

Interestingly the Albury bulletin was upgraded to 16:9 in November 2010, and by December they announced that production was moving to Canberra. Why Prime upgraded the local studios so close to closing them down still seems pretty bizarre…

2 Likes

Adelaide put an ‘Available in Wide Screen Digital’ logo on their openers - it is in a 2004 opener, but not in a 2003 one, so perhaps some time between there - although the latter is via WIN so maybe they had a clean feed so it didn’t go through.

WIN’s lack of widescreen news was made worse by them running their analogue service in full time 14:9 letterbox - so you had black bars on all sides watching their news until they finally started going widescreen.

3 Likes