TV History - Questions

Yes i didn’t think it was on SBS

ABC had Rugrats (though the last season aired on 10)
Hey Arnold
The Wild Thornberries
The Angry Beavers
CatDog
The Fairly Odd Parents
ChalkZone

1 Like

Didn’t the ABC also have plans to create a children’s channel with Nickelodeon at some point as well along with The News Channel JV with Fairfax?

Beavis and Butthead aired on Ten in 1995, they were put on as part of the short-lived late night music video show “Pepsi Rockit”. A year later Ten showed a handful of episodes in the 11.30pm timeslot, as a promo tie-in for the movie “Beavis and Butthead Do America”. It was only for four weeks. Southern Cross Ten in Victoria screened alternate programming because they deemed it inappropriate for country viewers (regional Victoria is generally fairly conservative).

1 Like

The above reminded me of the time back in 2011 when WIN & NBN didn’t air the 1st episode of Come Fly With Me for the same reason that Ten Victoria (as it was known then) didn’t air Bevis & Butthead, as well as Ren & Stimpy, back in the 90s. However, it was still airing on Go! in regional areas on a later timeslot.

For the record, a repeat episode of The Big Bang Theory aired in its place.

After the 1st episode attracted big ratings in the metro markets, WIN & NBN reversed their decision.

2 Likes

Did Ten air Ren and Stimpy in primetime or in the morning?

When Ten started airing it in 1993, it was on in the breakfast slot on weekdays and later on weekends. I don’t remember Ten airing it in prime time. They might have.

1 Like

Yes - in the early days of Subscription TV

1 Like

I recorded the Rage special which screened after Mardi Gras and have been watching some of it this morning.

They had a 1977 interview with Peter Allen from a show called Flashez which I don’t think I remember. He mentioned how popular Peter Allen’s song “I Go To Rio” became after they played the “film clip” on Countdown and it was then played on other shows like Flashez. Peter Allen talked about how record companies were only making film clips to show in countries like Australia which had these types of shows and that they weren’t even seen anywhere in America because there weren’t any shows like that.

I looked on IMDB there is very little info there about Flashez. The host Mike Meade looks familiar to me and singer Ray Burgess is also listed as a host. Does anyone know what day/time it screened?

1 Like

Went on to host Now You See It, from what I can gather Flashez was late afternoons on ABC, but before my time. They occasionally pop up on Rage .

1 Like

I don’t know much about it but IIRC it screened weekday afternoons on ABC about 4.30 or 5.00 around 1976-77

1 Like

Thanks. That’s probably where I remember him from.

Thanks. Did a search in Media Spy. There seems to be a mention in one of the Classic TV Listings posted at 5.30pm.

4 Likes

Flashez only ran for a few years but was the inspiration for an iconic show which debuted in 1979, Simon Townsend’s Wonder World.

I don’t think Simon Townsend’s Wonder World had anything to do with Flashez, given that it had been in development for about six years before it got picked up by Ten in 1979. The initial pilot was funded by the Seven Network, but it wasn’t picked up for a series. Townsend then funded a second pilot himself and the show really only got picked up because of the new “C” classification requirements for commercial stations, and he had been successful in getting his show approved for that classification. Apparently, TEN10 came knocking as they needed something to fulfil its new obligations.

2 Likes

Flashez 1976-1977 with 425 episodes. Found the last episode on YouTube. Aspiring pop singer Mike Meade sang a song he just released :open_mouth: and actual singer Ray Burgess performed too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

How did Paul Ramsay/Prime Network/Prime TV end up getting the Seven network affiliation for aggregation in NSW and Victoria in the first place? I’m sure it was in 1987 not long after Christopher Skase bought the Seven Network.

1 Like

Just looking for a bit of help from the MediaSpy community.

Curious to find out if Doug Mulray’s Naughty Home Video show aired in Adelaide and Perth? And if yes, was the broadcast cut at the same time in all states?

Living in regional Victoria, my memory is that the show was advertised to air, but WIN made the decision to change its schedule late on the day of broadcast. Meaning we didn’t get to see any of it.

I’ve always been curious why WIN made that decision.

4 Likes

I thought WIN did show it… this video has the WIN watermark on it

1 Like

Hmmm, perhaps WIN did different things in different states???

1 Like

That was the 2008 airing with Bert Newton intro, clearly as it’s 16:9 and the latter mappy logo.

4 Likes