TV History - Questions

My understanding (which could be wrong) was that the 6.55 bulletins were read from the capital city (and Townsville and Rockhampton in Queensland which had their own studios) and sent out via microwave links to each regional station for transmission… while the capital city stations showed music videos or some other filler for 5 minutes

The bulletins ceased in 1985 when ABC replaced its state based 7.00 news with The National, a one hour combined news and current affairs program at 6.30.

The National had a single edition covering NSW, ACT, VIC and NT with 10 minute state based local windows. Other states had their own edition but content such as current affairs stories and political analysis was largely taken from the NSW based edition.

The whole experiment failed and a year later ABC went back to state based 7.00 news and launched a separate current affairs program The 7.30 Report, also in each state. But the regional bulletins were never to come back

3 Likes

What regional stations had been broadcast 24/7 pre-Aggregation, #myfriend ???

I would imagine it would be zero, as 24 hour TV didn’t exist before the 1990s.

1 Like

SEQ8 was from 1988 as it was owned by Skase and took a dirty feed from BTQ overnight.

3 Likes

I don’t think there were any. (EDIT: just saw the post about SEQ8. So there was at least one)

Capital 7 in Canberra had movies overnight on Friday nights before aggregation.

WIN4 wasn’t 24/7 but used to stay on air until about 2 or 3am with timeshifted programs and late movies to accommodate the large number of shift workers in the area

1 Like

I wonder if any programs ended up being made outside of Sydney/Melbourne as a result of this kind of dealing?

Only Family Feud and Wheel of Fortune come to mind as examples - do you know how those ended up getting produced in Brisbane and Adelaide respectively?

Guessing you’re referring to the late 1980s Family Feud (not the 70s version which also has a mixed network history)

But not sure exactly how that went to Brisbane. BTQ7 was now owned in common with HSV7 and ATN7 by that stage (ownership rules had changed by the late 1980s) so when the network commissioned Family Feud I guess it was deemed that BTQ had capacity for it. Sydney or Melbourne might not have had room for it.

Wheel Of Fortune. I don’t know how that came about being made in Adelaide. Might have also been a case of having studio capacity available. Or whether ADS7 had commissioned Grundys to make the show (individual channels had a lot more autonomy in those days) and then the other Seven stations just picked it up.

1 Like

Yeah, was thinking of the 1980s version, but I’d be interested in more about the 70s version - I’ve only ever seen one short clip of Daryl Sommers hosting it, and nothing about the network history.

I’d assume it would be a fairly major undertaking to produce it back then, given how it’s seemingly fairly high tech with those answer display boards, and likely needing a much bigger studio than it does now.

The 1977 version Family Feud was produced by Grundy at TVW7 in Perth. It happened to be sold to ADS7 in Adelaide and BTQ7 in Brisbane but was missing in Sydney and Melbourne. Nine eventually bought the show for those 2 cities and in doing so production moved across to GTV9, but it continued to be shown on the Seven stations in Brisbane and Adelaide (and in Perth where TVW7 technically was still an independent) for the duration. Tony Barber was the original host until he moved to Sale Of The Century in 1980, with Daryl Somers taking over Family Feud. In 1984, Somers was replaced by '60s pop star Sandy Scott. The show ended that same year.

TVW7 also produced another game show, $25,000 Letterbox in the late 1970s and early 80s, hosted by Paul Makin. The show became $50,000 Letterbox when it was picked up by some of the Seven Network stations on the east coast but then when Wheel Of Fortune came along I think those stations dropped Letterbox. In Adelaide, Letterbox was picked up by SAS10 which was a sister station to TVW7 then.

2 Likes

I have 2 questions on TV history -

Why did television shows like Funniest People, Just Kidding, You’ve Got To Be Joking and Candid Camera get axed?

And is it likely any of the networks will try to revive these shows or do you think they have had their time?

Those sorts of programs peaked around the early to mid-1990s, so I’d imagine they were axed due to a decline in viewers.

I personally can’t see those type of programs being revived anytime soon. In 2018, you can type stuff like “Funny Home Videos” into YouTube and come up with thousands of results - no need to wait around for a half hour program at 7.30pm on a Tuesday night!

My question arose from the fact that from time to time Nine air Impractical Jokers late at night - then again it probably is only filler TV

I want to ask here, #myfriends and @myfriend - don’t take this to the “question thread”:

Do each of GWN’s station (SSW/VEW/VAW/GTW) carrying seperate commercials and news - and did they did that previously ???

Not sure - don’t think so (I’ve seen the same ads in Albany, Busselton and Geraldton) and no. GWN has a statewide bulletin unlike Prime or WIN.

There’s just not enough things happening in regional WA to fill a full half hour of news/not a lot of people in regional WA to warrant multiple regional bulletins. most other regions have more population than the whole of regional WA.

1 Like

Nobody watched them?

3 Likes

Yes, GWN7 has 3 separate channels loosely based on their original stations. The internal names for these channels are GWN7 GSW (SSW), GWN7 GAW (GSW+VEW combined), and GWN7 GNW (GTW). The only difference between the three channel is commercial advertising. The local news is the same. Also, VAST satellite viewers are granted access to whichever channel is closest to their registered location.

4 Likes

Hopefully this is the right thread to ask those obscure questions about things like when different logos and On-Air Presentation packages were introduced. I’ve probably got quite a few (especially pre-2000), but will start off with what is hopefully a relatively easy one.

Does anyone know exactly when in March 1993 this SBS logo would’ve been introduced?
SBS1993

The reason I ask is because this clip from GreenYoshi93 has recently surfaced (from the start to the 4:43 mark, with clips from a 19/12/1993 recording following that) with what appears to be a recording from 2/3/1993 with the older 1985-93 style logo.

By March 20, 1993 (thanks to FLEMISHDOG for this upload), the 1993-2008 logo was in use.

2 Likes

I would like to know too :wink: I’ve only narrowed it down to March

1 Like

Actually when were BTV and GMV began sharing program, @myfriend ???

Also:

How the heck they can put translator’s logos/idents on the screen actually, @myfriend ???

4th of December 1988 and it was a year to the date later if I recall that they changed to VIC TV

2 Likes